PDA

View Full Version : Coilover Install

Gibbs
02-05-2008, 08:23 AM
Hey folks, I'm looking to know if its much work to install coilovers youself with the need of taking her to a garage dude.

I have jack stands but no spring clamps but can get a set, just wondering if its much of a job for a non car person

cheers

EuroB6
02-05-2008, 08:35 AM
if you're a non car person...dont do it yourself..you definitely want some knowledge adn a little bit of experience with suspensions. Definitely take it to a garage to do for you.

TQMB5
02-05-2008, 08:38 AM
its actually really straight forward, you can do it yourself.\

this will help
http://www.audiworld.com/tech/wheel.html

RobbyB413
02-05-2008, 08:46 AM
its actually really straight forward, you can do it yourself.\

Straight forward if you ignore those DIYs and don't touch the upper control arm bolts in the front, you mean?

seank
02-05-2008, 08:46 AM
It super easy, rent yourself a spring compressor from your favorite auto parts retailer, it is limited to about 20 or so nuts and bolts. Plus putting the coilovers in is easier than getting the stock stuff out. For a first timer you should be looking to do it in around 3-4 hours, after your first time it is easy to do a whole car in 2 hours or so.

Gibbs
02-05-2008, 09:43 AM
i have been reading them guides and was going to use them for this.

so i dont need to touch the upper control arm bolts, just slide the stock shocks past it?

This Is Epic
02-05-2008, 10:31 AM
I did mine without a spring compressor, vice grips and a box in front of the shock so I didn't lose the bolt. Fun times, I would use a spring compressor if I had to do it again.

onemoremile
02-05-2008, 11:16 AM
Definitely use spring compressors. They are free to rent from a parts store or you can keep them for about 35 bucks.

I have done mine at least a half dozen times and done others as well. It now takes about a half hour per corner to pull the assembly, tear it down on a bench, and put it back together. If you buy the upper mounting plate and new strut top bearings (well worth the paltry cash outlay) then you can pre-assemble the coilovers and it goes considerably quicker.

Gibbs
02-05-2008, 11:35 AM
you wudnt happen to have part numbers for the upper mounting plate and new strut top bearings handy mate?

I just picked up a set of spring clamps from ebay, £35 for them all in. just need to get my mate to drop round his jack stands and jack.

onemoremile
02-05-2008, 11:47 AM
I don't have the part numbers. These are what they look like:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AUDI-A4-VW-PASSAT-STRUT-BEARING-BRACKET-98-05_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33590QQihZ004QQitemZ 140204040456QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1VQQtrksidZp1638Q 2em118Q2el1247
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1998-98-AUDI-A4-QUATTRO-Strut-Bearing-MONROE-904908_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ42609QQihZ009QQi temZ190196382042QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1VQQtrksidZp1 638Q2em118Q2el1247

Gibbs
02-05-2008, 12:12 PM
thanks onemoremile

so the basic agreement is, its easy enough to do your self just take your time and remind were everything went.

Just to confirm, i dont need to touch any of the control arms, the stock shocks should come out with unbolting the arms

zionrider
02-05-2008, 12:53 PM
Hey Gibbs, I did mine in the fall for the first time. Was super easy with the audiworld DIY as a guide. I would say that the only problem may be the upper control arm bolt. One of mine was super stuck and I had to heat it up to get it out. It's actually a really fun job and super chill to do. Read through the DIY's before you get at it so your familiar with everything. I also bought a set of plates from the local junkyard and pre assembled my CO's before I put them on. Super easy and made the job go really quick. Best of luck.[wrench]

Brooksthepro
02-05-2008, 01:18 PM
isnt that hard. u can do it

onemoremile
02-05-2008, 01:29 PM
I've never done it without removing the whole assembly which consists of the coilover, top bearing, aluminum 3 bolt top plate, and the two upper arms.

The one thing that will really help is to reinstall the pinch bolt from the back so it can be tapped out later.

Gibbs
02-05-2008, 02:59 PM
pinch bolt ???

lol

1NaudiA4
02-05-2008, 03:10 PM
Not difficult at all... I actually just finished installing my vogtlands last weekend. I rentedt a spring compressor and used it on one of the front shocks to get the springs off but it turned out to be more work then it was worth. I put my foot on the spring and slowly undid the top bolt until it let loose. It sprung maybe 2 or 3 feet. DId the same with the rears and finshed everything in just under 4 hours.

Lazer Viking
02-05-2008, 03:11 PM
the pinch bolt is the one that will more then likely be seized into your axle housing

is holds the ball joints into the axle housing

i did mine without touching the control arms, just remove the 3 bolts in the engine compartment holding the top plate in, and drop it out the bottom

Gibbs
02-05-2008, 05:30 PM
cheers pacman, thats exactly how i pictured it in me head, didnt think anyone wud understand my stoned logic

cheers all, this is a go hopefully on Sat all going well with the postie

ill snap some pics for yor enjoyment

B5Burn
02-06-2008, 06:15 AM
It is easy enough to DIY... but if you have never tackled something like this? At least call a buddy over to shadow you or help out. Without any power tools, and by yourself, I'd expect it to take maybe half a day+. I was missing a couple tools, so after 2 store runs, a cpl food/beer breaks, it took me about 7 hours to do the whole car... after doing it once, I could probably do it in under 3 or 4 now. I went slow because I wanted to note some things and go very methodically... but it's all quite simple under there.

One spot that royally screwed me was the top strut bolt on the front drivers side. Inside the en gine bay, it lives square beneath 2 hard brake lines... what a bitch... but the solution was ridiculously easy.

Patience is the key.

onemoremile
02-06-2008, 06:30 AM
This is the only picture I have that might help you. Wish I had more. If you were local I'd do it for you. All you would need to bring over are the parts, beer, and steaks.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b397/onemoremile/img_1469.jpg

Gibbs
02-06-2008, 06:36 AM
cheers folks. all i can think of is the shock sliding out with out touching them arms. Should be easy enough, it will prob take 2days and it gets dark pretty early over here, about 4.30pm so it may take a few hours on Sunday also weather permitting, i hate the cold

audisnapr
02-06-2008, 06:43 AM
cheers folks. all i can think of is the shock sliding out with out touching them arms. Should be easy enough, it will prob take 2days and it gets dark pretty early over here, about 4.30pm so it may take a few hours on Sunday also weather permitting, i hate the cold

if weather permits, you won't be the only one doing the install. Hopefully I'll be doing mine this weekend as well. [drive]

Gibbs
02-06-2008, 07:09 AM
well the weather man says Sunny Intervals, hopefully he'll be right this time