PDA

View Full Version : Car won't start... vag com for hire?

thebikedoctor33
02-04-2008, 06:00 PM
So all of a sudden my car won't start. I was out wiring my fogs a couple days ago and now my car won't start. I accidentally drained the battery, and thought that was the problem. But i just got a new one and it still won't start. Turns over just fine, but won't fire. I still have a check engine light and battery light on. Any suggestions?!?!?? I don't have a vagcom to check the codes, anyone in warren county or across the river in stroudsburg or bangor or something wanna come over and pull some codes for me? haha, or i can try and borrow a computer from my friend who has a shop, but thats a long shot....

Please guys. Help me diagnose the problem here. I feel like an idiot not being able to figure this out...

Someone said maybe i fried the ecu by possibly not being really careful when disconnecting and reconnecting the battery. Could this be true?

Any other suggestions?

thebikedoctor33
02-04-2008, 06:42 PM
Come on guys... we have a b5 down here. someone has to have some ideas!

Solaris
02-04-2008, 06:50 PM
Check the fuel pump fuse. Do you hear the pump come on when you turn the key? Might be too quiet to hear, so you can pull a spark plug and check to see if it's soaked in gas after you've tried to start it.

Rico750
02-04-2008, 06:54 PM
So all of a sudden my car won't start. I was out wiring my fogs a couple days ago and now my car won't start. I accidentally drained the battery, and thought that was the problem. But i just got a new one and it still won't start. Turns over just fine, but won't fire. I still have a check engine light and battery light on. Any suggestions?!?!?? I don't have a vagcom to check the codes, anyone in warren county or across the river in stroudsburg or bangor or something wanna come over and pull some codes for me? haha, or i can try and borrow a computer from my friend who has a shop, but thats a long shot....

Please guys. Help me diagnose the problem here. I feel like an idiot not being able to figure this out...

Someone said maybe i fried the ecu by possibly not being really careful when disconnecting and reconnecting the battery. Could this be true?

Any other suggestions?

sorry dude to hear that.. if you lived closer i could help ya VAG it.. i dont think it's the ECU..

thebikedoctor33
02-04-2008, 07:10 PM
Check the fuel pump fuse. Do you hear the pump come on when you turn the key? Might be too quiet to hear, so you can pull a spark plug and check to see if it's soaked in gas after you've tried to start it.

you are a freaking genius!!!! i however, am a total idiot! i was going down the list testing anything that might effect the motor from running. got the the fuel pump fuse, it wasn't there. i must have either taken it out without realizing it or bumped out while remving the panel that covers the box or something, it was even in there! it i threw a new 20 amp fuse and she started right up.

if i could buy you a beer a would!

Solaris
02-04-2008, 07:34 PM
Haha. Glad that's all it was. Maybe I'll have the chance to take you up on that one day.

thebikedoctor33
02-04-2008, 07:44 PM
where in central jersey are you? any good meets down there i sould check out?

Solaris
02-04-2008, 07:58 PM
I'm in Piscataway. The only things I've gone to are events at Englishtown Raceway Park. I don't know what else goes on that's any good.
This year's schedule:
4/22 Audi/VW Spring Show & Go
7/21-22 Waterfest
10/21 Audi/VW Fall Show & Go.
I also usually end up going on a Friday night every month or so, but I'm lucky to see more than 1 other Audi there.

Rico750
02-04-2008, 09:55 PM
stealership would have charged you $600 for that haha