PDA

View Full Version : aiming 99.5+ 1piece headlights...

yoda888
02-04-2008, 10:24 AM
All,
I just installed my VVME HIDs in my 99.5' A4. They are pointed way HIGH now. And since I don't want to blind people, how the heck do I adjust them?

My question actually is really simple, there are 2 knobs/allen screws on each headlight. I'll call them "outer" (closer to the fender) and "inner" (closer to the center of the car), which does what? Which one goes up/down and left/right? I played around with them, but the lights don't move! [confused]

I tried searching, and everyone just talks about aiming them, but nobody says anything about which knobs. Also, is the adjustment infinite or will I eventually turn the knob off of it's screw? [headbang]

Thanks!

onemoremile
02-04-2008, 10:38 AM
I've got a housing in front of me. Looks like the two top adjusters control left right and the one inside by the high beam controls level.

The two on top are both in/out so you can aim it and get the housing to look right.

yoda888
02-04-2008, 10:47 AM
When you say "the two on top are both in/out..." what do you mean by that?

My understanding is that the outside knob controls left/right, and inside knob controls up/down correct?

Man, I can't believe how far my headlights are off now after taking them off and putting them back on. [=(]

Thanks!

I've got a housing in front of me. Looks like the two top adjusters control left right and the one inside by the high beam controls level.

The two on top are both in/out so you can aim it and get the housing to look right.

Jared71482
02-04-2008, 10:58 AM
The inner adjusters control the up and down... outers adjust the side to side.

Left (driver side) headlight: turn the outer adjuster clockwise to move the beam to the right... counterclockwise to move the beam left (as if you were sitting in the car)
Turn the inner adjuster clockwise to go down... counterclockwise to go up.

Right (passenger side) headlight: turn the outer adjuster clockwise to move the beam left... counterclockwise to move the beam right (as if you were sitting in the car)
Inner adjuster is the same as the driver side headlight.

Mawhitey
02-04-2008, 11:02 AM
The inner adjusters control the up and down... outers adjust the side to side.

Left (driver side) headlight: turn the outer adjuster clockwise to move the beam to the right... counterclockwise to move the beam left (as if you were sitting in the car)
Turn the inner adjuster clockwise to go down... counterclockwise to go up.

Right (passenger side) headlight: turn the outer adjuster clockwise to move the beam left... counterclockwise to move the beam right (as if you were sitting in the car)
Inner adjuster is the same as the driver side headlight.

Thats them.
The mounting tabs are just to mount them into the car straight and level etc etc.

yoda888
02-04-2008, 11:08 AM
Awesome! Thanks everyone!

Hopefully there's enough adjustment to get the lights lined up properly!

onemoremile
02-04-2008, 11:18 AM
Make sure the housings are in right first. Next time you take them out use a Sharpie to trace around the top mounting tabs. That makes them easier to get back in the same place.

Sorry about any confusion. I had to go by how it looks and didn't have an allen wrench handy to see what really did what.

yoda888
02-05-2008, 12:09 AM
Awesome! Adjusted it after dinner. I didn't think it would adjust "enough" to lower the lights. But it did, and I didn't even have to adjust sit that much. A little goes a long way. I'll have to re-adjust again in a couple of days. But it looks good right now!