PDA

View Full Version : Fuel filter leaking!

pac1085
02-03-2008, 09:24 AM
I changed the fuel filter less than 20k miles ago using OEM parts, OEM washers, properly torqued, etc. I noticed my car smelling like fuel really bad last night, and found this (you can see the fuel spraying out better if you click full size):

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2073/2238787737_4a24bab6fc_o.jpg

Luckily it's an easy fix, but is there anything to prevent this from happening again (aside from moving to a place without snow/salt?) Maybe hit it with a coat of rustoloeum after I put it back together?

onemoremile
02-03-2008, 09:46 AM
Got the crushwasher in there? Paint won't seal it since gasoline eats paint.

An open flame will clean up that extra fuel real nice...

pac1085
02-03-2008, 09:51 AM
Got the crushwasher in there? Paint won't seal it since gasoline eats paint.

An open flame will clean up that extra fuel real nice...

Well, there WAS a crush washer in there. It rotted out(after less than 20k miles) thats why its leaking.

I think you read the paint thing wrong. I wasn't planning on just throwing a coat of paint on this the way it is and hope it stops leaking... dude come on! After I clean it up, replace the washers, I was thinking of hitting it with a coat of paint to prevent it from corroding again.

manufan
02-03-2008, 10:01 AM
The roads where I live are similar to yours. I'm surprised that the crush ring would corrode that much. Is the face of the banjo pitted that helped create the leak? After you get it all dried up, you could spray it with that waxy undercoating stuff to keep the weather off it.

pac1085
02-03-2008, 10:12 AM
The roads where I live are similar to yours. I'm surprised that the crush ring would corrode that much. Is the face of the banjo pitted that helped create the leak? After you get it all dried up, you could spray it with that waxy undercoating stuff to keep the weather off it.

I haven't taken it apart yet, but I'll check for sure. It's not rotted in just that one area where it's leaking, there's hardly anything left of the washer all the way around.

manufan
02-03-2008, 10:22 AM
No disrepect intended, but is it possible that the crush ring was either reused or crushed too much leaving a thinner edge to corrode?

creechsa4
02-03-2008, 11:13 AM
probably setup a new banjo bolt bolt with a clear coat spray paint over the new and some marine grease over that, that'll make it rusto proof! i do the same for my brake rotors where the hub mounts.

pac1085
02-03-2008, 11:16 AM
No disrepect intended, but is it possible that the crush ring was either reused or crushed too much leaving a thinner edge to corrode?

Def. not reused, I bought the fuel filter from ECS and the washers from the dealer. As far as crushed too much, I doubt it. This was back when I had access to a lift and did everything exactly by the book (torque specs, etc)

I'm just gonna chalk this one up to bad luck, and coat it with something after its re-assembled with new parts.

Just Quaff
02-03-2008, 11:40 AM
Did you use AMPM fuel? lol

pac1085
02-03-2008, 11:52 AM
Did you use AMPM fuel? lol

None of those around here but I do buy fuel from Habib at the local Arab Mobil.

onemoremile
02-03-2008, 04:24 PM
Paint not needed. Michigan uses 22 tons of salt per lane mile per year which is as bad as it gets. Mine never leaked and neither has the one that has been in the S4 for 209k miles.

ILoveT
02-03-2008, 04:54 PM
That reminds me of the time my friend and I swapped a B16 in his Integra. I was in charge of bolting some stuff back up. So I put in the fuel filter and apparently I just half assed it. When we went to start it up fuel was spraying everywhere. I tried to act like it wasn't me and it was him but I couldn't pull it off. :) I tightened it up and it was fine. Then he was shifting and his linkage started scrapping the ground. I started cracking up because I knew it wasn't me. Lol

So how much of a bitch was the fuel filter for you?

onemoremile
02-03-2008, 05:40 PM
That reminds me of the time my friend and I swapped a B16 in his Integra. I was in charge of bolting some stuff back up. So I put in the fuel filter and apparently I just half assed it. When we went to start it up fuel was spraying everywhere. I tried to act like it wasn't me and it was him but I couldn't pull it off. :) I tightened it up and it was fine. Then he was shifting and his linkage started scrapping the ground. I started cracking up because I knew it wasn't me. Lol

I've got friend just like you. The dude is just cursed. He helped me button up the front of my engine. The upper timing belt cover was off but the bottom was on. He dropped one of the valve cover nuts and couldn't find it anywhere. Tore the whole front of the car off thinking it fell into the lower cover. After everything was apart he found it on the ground behind him.

Same guy helped me change my PCV system. Broke a flange which fell ingo the block. That is what led me to rebuild the engine. I had to pull the pan to get that piece out of there anyway.

pac1085
02-04-2008, 07:18 PM
Took the fuel filter out today. Aluminum washers oxidized to shit, nothing left.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2203/2242750025_c590331fa0_b.jpg

Not a good pic, it looks worse in person, esp the other side.

They were OEM from the dealer, dunno what to say. I bought a Purolator fuel filter this time since I needed it and the dealer was closed, it came with all copper washers. They should hold up much better than the aluminum.

SoFresh
02-04-2008, 08:14 PM
I had this happen to me, and I used all OEM parts picked up from the dealership... it sucked, leaked an entire full tank on the ground... lame. had to just go back and replace both the clamps.

jaustin
03-01-2009, 12:17 PM
I'm leaking like a slow drip, which turns into a small puddle by the time I come out of someplace. I think this is the same problem and I will order a new fuel filter but just thought I would post asking for opinions before I go and replace.

http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/5700/03012009869.jpg

stormscr3
03-01-2009, 12:26 PM
You can try using some truck bed paint, like rhino lining. It's waterproof/rustproof and if you cover the right places oxidation/rust won't happen again. Great stuff for the underbody of some car parts.

Don Supreme
03-02-2009, 06:29 AM
Sounds like a good excuse to throw one of these in.

http://www.shopatron.com/img/product_images/415/23567bdf64503ac3d9d1eb4397c54a66.jpg

Seerlah
03-02-2009, 07:50 AM
I'm leaking like a slow drip, which turns into a small puddle by the time I come out of someplace. I think this is the same problem and I will order a new fuel filter but just thought I would post asking for opinions before I go and replace.

FWIW, I had my fuel filter replaced a couple months back and for some odd reason the Mann filter would not seal correctly and kept leaking. My mechanic could not figure it out and finally the fitting came loose so he placed my old one back in and I drove home. Next day, he ordered a different one from where he usually orders parts and no leaks upon first install. Just a heads up.

hoganalley
03-02-2009, 01:52 PM
Gas tank repair kit. Buy the epoxy paste stuff from an auto parts store and use it like a gasket material when you put the washers on. Works like a charm. Don't know what it's like when you go to take it off, but it won't leak.