PDA

View Full Version : blown out bose speaker!?

airy52
02-02-2008, 09:45 PM
Alright so I finally got around to this problem. My drivers side, lower, door speaker, seems to be distorted. It kind of sounds like when you blow air out of your lips if you keep them together hard. It plays the music but sounds like its a crappy speaker thats distorted. This only happens on that certain speaker. Any ideas about whats wrong? And how to fix it? If it is blown out or something, does the stealership sell replacements? or does anyone? Thanks! [az]

devmaster
02-02-2008, 10:07 PM
u can prob buy a set of new aftermarket fronts for cheaper than it costs 2 replace 1 bose speaker.. however the bose speakers are specialy tuned 4 the car

1poynt8tee
02-02-2008, 10:11 PM
My car had the same problem when I bought it, turns out the speaker on that side was blown. Recently I drove another A4 and the same speaker was making the same sound. I suppose it's common with B5's. There are several threads about speaker replacement and adaptors. I ended up going with a 5 1/4 component set and am pretty happy with the results. Good luck!

Yaktizzle417
02-02-2008, 10:27 PM
I blew both sides on my front doors, got some Memphis in there now.

Best $75 ever spent on my interior.

JaVa
02-02-2008, 10:28 PM
blew my drivers tweeter, drove me nuts

mravantit
02-02-2008, 10:34 PM
can you just replace the speakers? or do you have to rip out the entire bose system out including the amps?

CX-7&A4
02-02-2008, 10:41 PM
Just make sure that they're the correct impedance and you should be fine, although most Bose sound systems are tuned to work with only the speakers supplied by Bose, it should be fine.

Most Bose Speakers are 2ohm.

Yaktizzle417
02-02-2008, 10:44 PM
can you just replace the speakers? or do you have to rip out the entire bose system out including the amps?
you can do anything you want really. i've got 2 memphis speakers and the rest of my car is bose and it's just fine.

Jared71482
02-02-2008, 10:52 PM
Bose stereos use very little power and alot of equalization. The speakers are cheap, paper cone drivers. They get their "good" sound through equalization, normally in the amplifier. The lack of power makes it very easy to blow a speaker... as the speakers work harder than they have to.

Changing to aftermarket speakers wont harm anything, and the bose systems used in our cars use 4 ohm speakers (most other car bose stereos DO use 2 ohm setups).

The thing that sucks in our cars is the front speakers do not use a standard mounting pattern... instead an akward 3 hole pattern. This makes installing aftermarket speakers much more difficult.

The easiest way would be to find a USED speaker... as eventhough they are really cheap speakers, they are very expensive at the dealer!

CX-7&A4
02-02-2008, 10:57 PM
That's the thing with most Bose sound systems, it's all designed to work best with each other, the speaker's response curve works best with the Bose amp and vise versa, and nothing else, which is why replacing Bose speakers and keeping the Amp isn't a great idea, really more so for other car's because most Bose set ups are low 2 ohm set ups, and most aftermarket speakers are 4ohm, which means you will lose half the volume, and even speakers like JBL and Infinity that say they're 2ohm, they're really more like 3.

loustylez
02-02-2008, 11:06 PM
i was gonna say, i thought bose was 2ohm and regular was 4ohm. either jared or cx has it backwards.

CX-7&A4
02-02-2008, 11:08 PM
Some, and very few are 4ohm, but since Bose in car systems are mostly cheap, they're mostly 2ohm, to draw the most power from the amp, keeps costs low.

airy52
02-02-2008, 11:48 PM
fuckin a. I tried to take it out to run some tests, so i go to take the mesh/cover/screen off, and it just snaps off, meaning, i broke all the plastic connectors. and i still dont see a way to get the speaker out. anyone have any ideas of how to get the speaker out, or a screen shot of the Bentley? Damnit

Oh, and so we all decided that our bose systems are 2 ohms or four. People seem to be saying different things.

CX-7&A4
02-02-2008, 11:50 PM
The few Bose systems that are 4ohm(your car).

Nearly all newer car's with Bose is 2ohm(not your car).

You should have to take off the entire door panel.

airy52
02-03-2008, 12:36 AM
i belive you are wrong. i juts got my door panel off and the speaker out. and i measured it and its 2 ohms... So... ya. Any reccomendations for a replacement speaker? should i just buy an aftermarket one, or try to get a bose replacement.

CX-7&A4
02-03-2008, 12:45 AM
I honestly don't know anything about your car's sound system, the other poster said that the set up was 4ohm in this car so I just ran with it because someone that owns the car they must know more about the system than me.

With that said, you don't have many true 2ohm options, look at Infinity's speakers, they're close to 3ohm though.

airy52
02-03-2008, 12:49 AM
hmm. Seems to be 3 1/2". can anyone verify this? i dont quite understand how to measure a speaker.

Jared71482
02-03-2008, 01:00 AM
measured what? put an ohm meter on the terminals?? that only gives you the DC resistance, not the actual impedance of the speaker. The DC resistance of a 4 ohm speaker should be in the 3 ohm range.

They are 4" speakers... just have a strange mounting flange.

Just keep an eye out on ebay, or contact someone parting out a car on here... you'll find something.

Oh yea, early A4s use slightly different speakers than newer ones... not sure where the change was or anything, but I know they are different. My 96 had 2 different front speakers... one DVC (driver side, for the phone) and one SVC. My 01 has 2 of the same speakers, which are still different than both found in my 96.

airy52
02-03-2008, 11:58 AM
yes that is how i measured it, and it was exactly two. leading me to believe that it is not 4 ohm, or it would have shown around 3, that is, if you are correct. Thanks!

ahvier
02-12-2008, 09:55 PM
bose use 2ohm speakers and a proprietary amp as jared and cx-7 alluded to. the bose amp is not the best option to power higher impedance speakers. if you are picky about your sound, it would be best to replace all speakers with new amps. I understand that with the bose concert head, there is a bypass that will still allow you to use that head while utilizing the aftermarket amp(s) and speakers. the audio forum has a lot of good information related to this issue.

Calabria
02-12-2008, 10:14 PM
i think my same speaker is goin out. sounds a little weird at low volume, but fine at higher volumes...

airy52
02-12-2008, 10:46 PM
fixed it, jbl sells "cheater speakers" that are 2 ohm intended for more power. i just did one side, and it sounds great. and im picky. so ya. thanks for the help [az][az][az][wrench][wrench][wrench][wrench]

CX-7&A4
02-12-2008, 10:50 PM
JBL is awesome, I didn't really know that they we're under the same company as Infinity though. I love my infinity reference speakers, "2" ohm and they don't fry my internal amp and make the most out of the itty bitty amp.