PDA

View Full Version : Any way to tune down a K04 setup?

RedRocket
08-22-2004, 03:33 AM
So my little brother got his license and I don't think ~240 hp is a good thing for him. Is there anyway I can tune it down when I give him the keys? My car is non-DBW so forget emcs. Plus I am with giac. I was thinking (and this is a pain in the ass) I could swap the chip to K03 Stock, and run a K04 with it? And switch the FRP. Yes/no?

What can I do???

HotSauce
08-22-2004, 06:45 AM
I think it's AWE's alarm system, that has a valet mode, and won't let the car break 30...You could try that [:p]

Or, I could trade you my turbo (K03) and ECU...I'm feeling generous today, so I'll make it a clean trade...But you pay shipping!

Whataya say?

...I had nothing useful to say...Post wasted [:D]

DRA4
08-22-2004, 08:35 AM
No is APR valet mode, that lets the car go to 30mph only. try that.

skene
08-22-2004, 08:38 AM
GIAC has a valet mode... on their IBE system.

pdxa4
08-22-2004, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by skene
GIAC has a valet mode... on their IBE system.

Yep, indeeed they do...

Burntaudi
08-22-2004, 09:05 AM
You could put the K03 chip in and with the stock FPR or the a stock chip with stock FPR.

Personally if it was my car I would install a manual boost controller and back the boost off to 7-10 PSI then when you drive the car turn it backup to your normal boost.

BoostinA4
08-22-2004, 10:12 AM
personally, i wouldnt give him the keys

Silvant
08-22-2004, 10:43 AM
neither would i. f-that.

skene
08-22-2004, 10:45 AM
If you have any concerns... seriously do not let him drive.. but if you teach him responsibly... he will respect the fact that the car can become uncontrolable very quickly.

D Piddy
08-22-2004, 01:02 PM
look, i'm 17, had my license now for about a year and 3/8 and i would not let him drive the car. i would not let him drive it for about a year. i know when i first got my license, i did some stupid shit and when i look back i was sucha ****ing idiot. i know if i had almost double the stock HP i would ****ed the car up. when i drove my arents' cars i was irresponsible and it took probably 6 or 7 months for me to calm down, but i know for many others it took longer. personally, i'd give him a while to cool down b4 lettin him drive it. if he's really responsible, then just let him drive the ccar. even with a KO4 the car's still no top fuel dragster if u know wut i mean

awe4rings
08-22-2004, 03:36 PM
Viper Alarm system with Dual sirens, 4 wheel boots and the club should solve this issue.

BoostinA4
08-22-2004, 05:40 PM
D piddy , your still a youngin im sure you still do dumb stuff also, cause im 19 and i still do dumb stuff.

i wouldnt let anyone drive my car without me in the passenger seat and i was drunk....

cuase they dont respect your car like you do, cause they dont know all the hard work you put into it and all the long hours you spent washing it....i would let your bro learn how to drive 5spd on somone elses car

RedRocket
08-22-2004, 07:55 PM
Thanks for your responses guys, I wasn’t expecting to hear so many cool comments [:)]

Well, my little bro is a good driver. I taught him how to drive standard in an RSX rental I had for 2 months. I taught him about all the unspoken courtesies of driving on the road with others. I've explained to him what's going on when you're changing gears. Taught him about dry steering and all that. He's really a good kid, and I have to say he knows how to drive well.

He's very mature for his age, and he knows how much work I've put into it because if any of you have little brothers they are by default your apprentice [:D]

But like D Piddy said, when we all first get to drive with the freedoms of being alone, we do some dumb shit. I had a 110 hp 1981 Volvo w/RWD when I was 17 and I had lots of fun. I didn't have an A4. That's why I'm hesitant to give him the keys........what to do, what to do

I wouldn't like to do a MBC, just because I think it'll be a pain in the ass. I think the IBE does not work with K04's. [confused]

nizmosx
08-22-2004, 10:36 PM
here is my thoughts, either you give him the keys to the total package or u dont. your playing devils advocate. your saying he is a good kid and mature for his age yet you dont want to do it. either you give him the keys or you dont. why would you want to detune your car there is no way.... WHY hahaha. maybe im missing something but are you going somewhere to where you cant drive it no more or what. your best bet is buying stock software with a k03 and sell your k04. ill sell you my k03 i dont have programing but if you have it there you go. sell your turbo kit dont detune. thats crazy talk.

littlewhite
08-22-2004, 11:11 PM
THe IBE should work, i dont see why not. Although i dont have K04, i have couple programs on the ibe, works great.

98a4
08-23-2004, 06:55 AM
Ride with him in your car while he drives a few times. See how he handles your car...but if you get any bad feelings, do the hard thing and dont let him drive... Its his life, and your car... you can replace one...

Keven1.8T
08-23-2004, 07:01 AM
If he really wants to drive, why doesn't he buy his own car. It would be easier for everybody.

buck
08-23-2004, 07:27 AM
I'm 10 years older than 17 and when I borrow my brothers car - I beat the crap out of it!

does that help?

[:p]

joeya103
08-23-2004, 07:41 AM
Everyone under the age of 25 is prone to doing "dumb stuff" while driving ...according insurance companies anyway =P

So if you've been driving for only a couple years and consider yourself a good driver, be careful. I still make a couple of mistakes, albeit only a couple times a year probably.

My random 2 cents...sorry for not contributing to the discussion =) Yea, K04 is probably too much for a novice, unless he's a granny-driver type.

pdxa4
08-23-2004, 08:06 AM
Why do you have to give him the keys ? He should get his own beater to play with...

MR VTEC
08-23-2004, 08:15 AM
shit i beat the shit out of my mom's legend! [:D]
only because she doesn't and those tires smell so sweet peeling from a stop! or busting a u-turn full throttle! [:p]
That's maybe why she doesn't lend it to me any more!

nizmosx
08-23-2004, 08:48 AM
lol

RedRocket
08-23-2004, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by 98a4
Ride with him in your car while he drives a few times. See how he handles your car...but if you get any bad feelings, do the hard thing and dont let him drive

Lol, does this fking trick work on anyone?

RedRocket
08-23-2004, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by pdxa4
Why do you have to give him the keys ? He should get his own beater to play with...

Because I'm nice. [:D]

RedRocket
08-23-2004, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by buck
I'm 10 years older than 17 and when I borrow my brothers car - I beat the crap out of it!

does that help?

[:p]

[eek]