PDA

View Full Version : Clunking noise

MikeWasHere05
01-27-2008, 09:42 AM
For the past few days, when I'm driving, theres been a weird cyclical clunking noise. It seems to increase as my speed increases, and below 15mph I don't hear it. I check my tires for nails, stuff like that. Theres nothing actually dragging on the ground. Its coming from the left side, but I can't tell if its front or back.

My front left wheel bearing makes a soft grr-grr-grr noise on right turns, but thats barely noticeable, even now. Could this noise be related to the bearing? My control arms are shot too, could that be the cause? What other problems cause a clunking noise?

Soooo many little things wrong, but noooo I decide to spend my money on K04s and intercoolers and headlights.... [down]

EDIT: To clarify, even if I had the money its too cold to put in new CAs and stuff now. I will eventually replace all the problems in the spring.

t1demont1
01-27-2008, 09:59 AM
check your powersteering fluid level?

Kyle H
01-27-2008, 10:36 AM
My front left wheel bearing makes a soft grr-grr-grr noise on right turns, but thats barely noticeable, even now. Could this noise be related to the bearing? My control arms are shot too, could that be the cause? What other problems cause a clunking noise?

Control arms, tie rod ends, and cv joints are the things for making clunking noises during turns.

Check your cv boots, too, but I think it's just your control arms.

MikeWasHere05
01-27-2008, 06:34 PM
Scary news. I feel like a complete idiot, but I have to post it.

Drove a bit tonight, it got worse. Stopped somewhere, looked at the wheel and I noticed that one of the lug bolts was practically falling out. I checked the rest of them and they were in the same condition. I was driving around while my wheel was falling off.

When I changed to the winter wheels I torqued them to "my entire bodyweight on the end of this lug wrench", but I guess something didn't happen like it should have?

I dunno, but its pretty scary knowing that each one of those clunking noises were my lug nuts going out another half thread...

$teady$upreme
01-27-2008, 11:12 PM
oh dang, hope you didn't strip any of the threads and better yet, go to a shop and torque them to 90ft/lbs~

Kyle H
01-27-2008, 11:16 PM
Most of the time I tighten my lugs with my body weight, then drive around the block and check them all again just to make sure that doesn't happen.

Good thing you caught it in time [up]