PDA

View Full Version : coolant leak

Rico750
01-20-2008, 07:46 PM
looks today that when i came back i saw steam coming from underneath the hood..so i popped the hood and saw a coolant hose leak (close to the firewall) a little bitty stream making a lot of steam ... anyway you can fix a hose like that? there is no close by audi dealer here and the autozone doesn't have those hoses i bet.. anyone ever just fixed a little leak like that?

ILoveT
01-20-2008, 08:05 PM
The system is pressurized so I wouldn't go about rigging it up.

Rico750
01-20-2008, 11:08 PM
ok i found one of the coolant lines that didnt seem connected right. It has 2 10mm bolts in it close to the firewall behind the cylinderhead. I had to remove the reservoir to get to it and tighten the 2 bolts twice. It stopped leaking. I felt the hose to and from the radiator and it feels empty.. i hope it is pumping coolant around like it should.. it might take a while again to build up pressure after you fill it back up?

iin10ded
01-21-2008, 04:26 PM
it builds pressure when it gets hot. keep an eye on the level as it heats up, you can 'burp' the hoses to help get trapped air out of the kinks + low spots [squeeze them]. BE CAREFUL - eye protection and gloves at least - boiling coolant is no fun to have sprayed on you.

sounds to me like you need this:
http://www.purems.com/products/product.php/II=2127

make sure you get ALL new gaskets [4 - temp sensor, blank sensor bung, flange to block and metal pipe to flange]. also it's typically the gaskets that go and not the flange, but it's 5$. it's one of those every 100k mile things.

also make sure you use the correct coolant and no mixing!

94jedi
01-21-2008, 06:45 PM
it builds pressure when it gets hot. keep an eye on the level as it heats up, you can 'burp' the hoses to help get trapped air out of the kinks + low spots [squeeze them]. BE CAREFUL - eye protection and gloves at least - boiling coolant is no fun to have sprayed on you.

sounds to me like you need this:
http://www.purems.com/products/product.php/II=2127

make sure you get ALL new gaskets [4 - temp sensor, blank sensor bung, flange to block and metal pipe to flange]. also it's typically the gaskets that go and not the flange, but it's 5$. it's one of those every 100k mile things.

also make sure you use the correct coolant and no mixing!

oh lord, I replaced all that right before I sold my car. what a pain in the ass. I had to get like 3 different ones because the first two were slightly warped and didn't fit against the head flush. plus the rubber o-ring gaskets didn't fit right etc...what an effin nightmare.

Rico750
01-21-2008, 07:56 PM
oh lord, I replaced all that right before I sold my car. what a pain in the ass. I had to get like 3 different ones because the first two were slightly warped and didn't fit against the head flush. plus the rubber o-ring gaskets didn't fit right etc...what an effin nightmare.

the o-rign is exactly my problem.. i went to the stealership to day and got me one.. that should fix it..

iin10ded
01-22-2008, 09:48 AM
DUDE! the EXACT same thing happened to me ! i went through 3 of them as well b/c the first 2 were warped slightly!

i finally got a dealer part for like 25$ that did it. the aftermarket ones i was getting just didn't cut it. NIGHTMARE. it should have been a 20 minute job but wound up keeping the car down for like 2 weeks [mailorder parts].

Rico750
01-22-2008, 11:03 AM
DUDE! the EXACT same thing happened to me ! i went through 3 of them as well b/c the first 2 were warped slightly!

i finally got a dealer part for like 25$ that did it. the aftermarket ones i was getting just didn't cut it. NIGHTMARE. it should have been a 20 minute job but wound up keeping the car down for like 2 weeks [mailorder parts].

yep... same here 3 days nightmares.. then 25c at stealership and fixed it instantly.. haha 1st time stealership worked out good for me..

iin10ded
01-22-2008, 11:12 AM
yep same for me. another thing i noticed was to loosen the metal pipe mounts at the front if the intake manifold when you tighten it to the flange. then tighten the pipe so it doesn't un-seat the flange.

jlien08
01-22-2008, 12:29 PM
Wow, I never thought I'd be so glad that I got the expensive one from the Dealer the first time!! I'm glad I didn't have to go through all of those nightmares!!