PDA

View Full Version : 1.8T experts, need help finding out my mystery 1.8T engine

Robv27
01-20-2008, 07:23 PM
Hey everyone, I need some help trying to find out about this mystery 1.8T engine that is sitting im my garage.
Here's the deal, i got this from a friend that i can not get a hold of anymore, and i'll be doing a swap soon and want to know exsactly what i have and i'm a little confused...[confused]
here we go.... On the head, it's stamp AWM, but it has DBC (cable throtle) and it has the old style coils. The water pump is external, which i thought AWM eng. had internal Waterpump. I went to look on the valve cover on that sticker w/ the bar code, and the valve cover says AEB, It does not have the Oil pan sensor, it has the spot but no hole and no sensor, so i'm very confused tring to find out what 1.8T eng. it is and what it came out of. He said it came out of a passat, but did not knoew the year, So if it is a AWM motor it means that the intake mani ports are smaller than the AEB right? At lease it's what i heard... So any way... i'm confused... could it be a AEB bottom and accessories w/ a AWM head, or did audi make the early AWM just like the AEB??
If you know this please let me know what you know. Is there anywhere in the engine head or block that says the VIN number of the car it came out of?? Or if the head and bottom were put together by Audi or VW or some mechanic out there?? Please let me know,,, Appreciate all the input in advance, Thanks Rob

Robv27
01-20-2008, 08:04 PM
anyone???

Nebone
01-20-2008, 08:09 PM
Weird case.

AWM has internal waterpump in the block. Check the back of the head and see if there is an electric plug on the cam shaft chain tensioner. It would be right below the valve cover in the back of the head. If it does not, then it would be the AEB motor with AWM head but without vvt.

Burntaudi
01-20-2008, 08:11 PM
Have a little patience. There is not a lot of traffic this time of night on a sunday. But it sounds like a AEB with a AWM head.

devmaster
01-20-2008, 08:26 PM
thats sounds counter intuitive. haha.. i would want AWM block with AEB heads.. (forged bottom and high flow top

Robv27
01-20-2008, 08:29 PM
Weird case.

AWM has internal waterpump in the block. Check the back of the head and see if there is an electric plug on the cam shaft chain tensioner. It would be right below the valve cover in the back of the head. If it does not, then it would be the AEB motor with AWM head but without vvt.

i will check on that!! Thanks in advance.

Robv27
01-20-2008, 08:31 PM
Have a little patience. There is not a lot of traffic this time of night on a sunday. But it sounds like a AEB with a AWM head.

yeah you're right... So are the heads the same or does the AEB head really have bigger ports on intake? Is this a better set up?

mike-2ptzero
01-20-2008, 09:07 PM
yeah you're right... So are the heads the same or does the AEB head really have bigger ports on intake? Is this a better set up?

AEB head has bigger ports which seems to be best for going BT or BAT, but the smaller ports seem to be better for the smaller turbo setups since the smaller ports help keep velocity high but tend to decrease flow for the BT/BAT setups.

Mawhitey
01-20-2008, 11:55 PM
AEB with a head swap would be my guess, Its what i had whan i bought mine, i had an AEB bottom end and an APX Head etc.

If you check the engine number it should starrt witht the engine type Ie AEb 1234567 etc
HTH

Robv27
01-21-2008, 07:24 AM
AEB with a head swap would be my guess, Its what i had whan i bought mine, i had an AEB bottom end and an APX Head etc.

If you check the engine number it should starrt witht the engine type Ie AEb 1234567 etc
HTH

Oh, Ok, and where do i find that number? is in that sticker on the valve cover? And if it si, how or where can i match that number?? Thanks[up]

Mawhitey
01-21-2008, 07:53 AM
Under the inlet manifold will be a flat section with the eng no stamped on it

Nebone
01-21-2008, 10:17 AM
The question here is what car are you swapping the engine into? What year is the car exactly?

mike-2ptzero
01-21-2008, 10:35 AM
Under the inlet manifold will be a flat section with the eng no stamped on it

Here is a picture of it. It is right next to cylinder #3.

http://www.centralvalleyspeed.com/photogallery/albums/userpics/10093/stockgasket.jpg

Robv27
01-21-2008, 06:10 PM
[QUOTE=mike-2ptzero;2189112]Here is a picture of it. It is right next to cylinder #3.

QUOTE]

Cool, Perfect man, That will help a lot. Appreciated[;)][up]