PDA

View Full Version : ABD Intake: opinons, please

PRY4SNO
01-20-2008, 11:34 AM
Hello all,

Wondering if you would care to chime in with comments or experiences regarding the ABD Racing intake.

Clicky click (http://abdracing.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=ADIAR&Product_Code=70.Q18T)

http://abdracing.com/Merchant2/graphics/abd/70.q18t.jpg

On the website it says it's for a Passat and B5 but also says it comes with mounting hardware for other 1.8t models. So this should fit into a B6 with an AMB engine, no?

Also, does anyone (Mike, lol) figure this will turn into expensive shrapnel under high load?

Something you know of that is better to consider, perhaps?

I'm wondering because the guy who is trying to sell me on this product is also trying to sell me on Wilwood/Brembo front BBK (http://www.wilwood.com/Centers/Information/applicationguide_frnt/audi/tt9903.asp) (13" @ $895!) that are only indicated to be produced for a TT. So anything he says is now suspect.

TIA!

AudiRacerS4
01-20-2008, 11:40 AM
huge waste of money for that intake

grip_racer
01-20-2008, 11:44 AM
4sho, too much $

run filterless with just the stock velocity stack on the end of your MAF [up]. thats free.

side note: heatshield is a must for any intake. get that first.

PRY4SNO
01-20-2008, 11:55 AM
4sho, too much $

run filterless with just the stock velocity stack on the end of your MAF [up]. thats free.

side note: heatshield is a must for any intake. get that first.

Okay, thanks guys.

Is this the heat shield you were referring to?

Clicky click (http://audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89270&highlight=heat%2Bshield)

And about running filterless, do you happen to have a photo for me?

Doesn't running filterless pose problems with sucking bugs/rocks into my engine?

What's the difference between that and the 'swiss-cheese air box mod?'

grip_racer
01-20-2008, 12:00 PM
thats the one im talking about, buy that.

and im halfway joking about the filterless thing. its not as safe to run like that. even though I do...

swiss cheese ups airbox flow as well as makes your intake louder, but retains the stock filter. you just put big holes in the bottom half of your airbox.

AudiRacerS4
01-20-2008, 12:00 PM
i hate to break it to you but that heat shield is a waste of money too

grip_racer
01-20-2008, 12:02 PM
it is not.

You don't gain power, but you don't lose any either.

I'd rather spend $90 and have it rather than have my intake right next to my hot turbo.

It can be related to a FMIC -- it's for consistency.

AudiRacerS4
01-20-2008, 12:06 PM
it is not.

I'd rather spend $90 and have it rather than have my intake right next to my hot turbo.

The temp in under the hood still has air flowing through it and is going to be only so much hotter than outside air. Even if the diff is 30-50*, its going to come out maybe 5* or so different. This difference will then be negated by the ic before making it to the tb. The only gains made by the a intake is when the stock is restrictive and the new intake takes in more than enough cfm.

grip_racer
01-20-2008, 12:16 PM
Its true, the IC will cool the air down. But wouldn't you rather start with cooler, denser air going into your IC in the first place rather than hot air? That's why I bought one.

AudiRacerS4
01-20-2008, 12:19 PM
Its true, the IC will cool the air down. But wouldn't you rather start with cooler, denser air going into your IC in the first place rather than hot air? That's why I bought one.

it doesn't matter that cooler air will still end up being the same temp weather or not its 30* cooler when it comes in. $80 heatsheild for 0 gains...save your money [up] If this were the case everyone would be running around with a CAI and heatshield and showing some type of gain

grip_racer
01-20-2008, 12:23 PM
$80 for 0 losses is what I'm trying to say.

PRY4SNO
01-20-2008, 01:26 PM

That is the same conclusion I came to thinking about it.

Happen to have any before/after IAT logs?

grip_racer
01-20-2008, 01:36 PM
no sir, sorry. no laptop to log with. i have to borrow a friend's every time i need to VAG-COM

mike-2ptzero
01-20-2008, 03:56 PM
it doesn't matter that cooler air will still end up being the same temp weather or not its 30* cooler when it comes in.

Believe me the IAT of the air going into the turbo does matter. Colder air going in means it will be cooler coming out of the turbo. So colder air going in means it will be cooler coming out vs hotter air. Back when I was running an open filter on my T28 kit I was able to drop .3 seconds off my ET just by removing the head light which means the air going in the turbo was much cooler then when the head light was in. This is also why our cars get faster when the air is cooler outside since cooler air equals a more dense air.'

30deg difference is huge when talking about making power.

AudiRacerS4
01-20-2008, 05:20 PM
Believe me the IAT of the air going into the turbo does matter. Colder air going in means it will be cooler coming out of the turbo. So colder air going in means it will be cooler coming out vs hotter air. Back when I was running an open filter on my T28 kit I was able to drop .3 seconds off my ET just by removing the head light which means the air going in the turbo was much cooler then when the head light was in. This is also why our cars get faster when the air is cooler outside since cooler air equals a more dense air.'

30deg difference is huge when talking about making power.

then why don't we see any power increases when running a CAI?

Brooksthepro
01-20-2008, 05:37 PM
Dont buy it. On our cars adding a CAI doenst give you any more power then the stock air box. It only makes a cool woosh sound. But if u do decide to make a CAI go custom with that heat shield. It will be just as good as the one ur thinking of getting except a million dollars cheeper

mike-2ptzero
01-20-2008, 08:17 PM
then why don't we see any power increases when running a CAI?

Because most CIA's dont actually get "fresh" air.

AudiRacerS4
01-20-2008, 10:16 PM
Because most CIA's dont actually get "fresh" air.

well i have mine positioned behind my grill on my S4 bumper and it gets a shit load of cold air but i really didn't feel a difference when i switched it from the short ram i had made in the engine bay. And the CAI i have now is freezing cold to touch after a long hard drive

mike-2ptzero
01-21-2008, 07:11 AM
well i have mine positioned behind my grill on my S4 bumper and it gets a shit load of cold air but i really didn't feel a difference when i switched it from the short ram i had made in the engine bay. And the CAI i have now is freezing cold to touch after a long hard drive

Yeah the only way you could see the difference is if you logged the maf and IAT's.

AudiRacerS4
01-21-2008, 07:59 AM
Yeah the only way you could see the difference is if you logged the maf and IAT's.

alright cool ill do some logs today and compare the results [up]

Tiluleshpingen
01-21-2008, 12:26 PM
i hate to break it to you but that heat shield is a waste of money too

i hope you have your flame suit on.......[:p]
edi: oups too late