PDA

View Full Version : Just changed VCG and wow, was it time!

Grangalan
01-20-2008, 09:36 AM
Well after last weeks escapade with changing my plugs and having ALL but one spark plug well completely flooded with oil. I finally got around to changing my Valve cover gasket today. First off i would like to say WAHH to all the shit you have to take off. Straight forward but damn!.

Anyway so as i got my valve cover off i already saw the issues my old VCG was having. The shit was apart in pieces. I got the new one on there, cleaned out everythig before putting the gasket on and seated everything properly. The next few weeks im going to monitor that area to make sure im not leaking anymore. But as you can see the OEM VGC failed... a long time ago and my car has 67k miles

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/6499/img00193gw2.jpg

On a side note. I've just finished my AutoRX treatment and as you can see i have a quite clean honey brown color. No sludge no crud. With new VCG in place

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/7332/img00194yc6.jpg

Poopie
01-20-2008, 09:47 AM
wow that valvetrain is clean! what was your process?

Grangalan
01-20-2008, 09:57 AM
http://www.auto-rx.com

I dont believe in engine additives until i found this. Its Called Auto-RX. Unlike most cleaners this is non aggressive. Basically you change your oil. Add this stuff and drive for 2500 miles. This ensures the product gets into every passage and gets a chance to penetrate all the dirt, grime and whatever else. Change your oil and drive another 2500miles. This is called the rinse phase where any sludge and such gets taken care of. After the treatment you just put a few ounces of it in every oil change to keep it this clean and never have to worry about sludge again

Currently im about 500 miles into the Rinse phase so itll even be cleaner once i change the oil after 2k more miles. Best part is that not only does it safely clean your internals like crazy. It also reconditions seals for longer life and stops small leaks.

Again i stress the fact that until i bought this stuff i didnt believe in additives, kero flushes ETC. I had it in the last 4 of my cars and i've had the same result in EVERY vehicle. SUPER clean valvetrain/bottom end. It stopped 2 leaks on my old mazda completely and they never returned.

Nebone
01-20-2008, 10:13 AM
Did you get that Auto-RX online or buy at a store?

Grangalan
01-20-2008, 10:17 AM
Look at my post above. It has a link. I usually buy a few bottles so save some cash since 25 bucks a bottle is pricey but its DAMN worth it. (And this coming from a guy who refuses to pay 30 bucks a bottle for audi steering fluid, I rather buy perfectly save M1ATF @$5 bottle)

bassed
01-20-2008, 01:42 PM
wow that valvetrain is clean! what was your process?

That's what my AWM Head with 113k looks like in the garage[:D] actually cleaner.

Tiluleshpingen
01-20-2008, 02:47 PM
wait u did the auto rx before removing vcg or after?

Grangalan
01-20-2008, 03:49 PM
After I did the treatment. Well I'm halfway in it but this is what it looks like already. Figured since I was doing the valve cover gasket figured I'd post a pic

Nebone
01-20-2008, 08:12 PM
Did you put in dyno oil for that 2500 mile interval or synthetic?

TurbousMaximus
01-20-2008, 08:27 PM
do you think auto rx coulda caused your vcg to fail? I changed my vcg and valve was clean and vcq was still in tact.

Nebone
01-20-2008, 08:58 PM
Thats less than likely. He said he had oil in his spark plug holes before the Auto-RX.

TurbousMaximus
01-20-2008, 09:33 PM
ah good point

Grangalan
01-20-2008, 09:38 PM
yea this was old oil sitting int here. I was surprised that the car didnt give me any crap for it. The stocker plugs were still in it. Electrodes worn down to all hell. This valve cover gasket went a LOOONG time ago.

Nebone
01-21-2008, 10:24 AM
I have a new gasket awaiting install but when I do that I want to replace all the gaskets there including the cam chain tensioner and even the tensioner itself since I got a new one chilling in a box.

Might as well wait till next timing belt and refresh everything then.

ModifiedA4
01-21-2008, 11:58 AM
just for reference, a picture under the valve cover of my ATW w 93K miles. I've never used Auto-Rx...im not saying auto-rx doesnt work, just that it is not 'required' to have a valve train that looks that clean. :)
http://www.modifieda4.com/images/cam-chain-tensioner/DSC01203.sized.jpg

ILoveT
01-21-2008, 12:13 PM
Well I guess some people aren't as lucky as you so they use other methods to get the desired results.

Nebone
01-21-2008, 12:46 PM
A good VW certified Synthetic oil regularly changed will keep the valve train clean. I'd really like to see mine at 120k as I have been following maintanance.

ModifiedA4
01-21-2008, 02:06 PM
A good VW certified Synthetic oil regularly changed will keep the valve train clean. I'd really like to see mine at 120k as I have been following maintanance.

you should be fine as long as the PCV system is working ok.