PDA

View Full Version : washing/waxing

audiFUEGO
01-19-2008, 03:38 PM
just wondering how often you guys wash and wax your cars.

4ringAR
01-19-2008, 03:47 PM
wash during the summer...every couple of weeks
wash during the winter...whenever my car looks more brown than silver or i cant tell what color the car is supposed to be. i should probably wash her in the next couple of days.

wax during summer...once every month or two
wax during winter...one good wax a the beginning of the season

fatty1.8t
01-19-2008, 03:56 PM
wash- every weekend
wax- every other weekend

biketsai
01-19-2008, 04:03 PM
Wash and wax 2 every weeks.
Ill use instant detail inbetween .

black00A4
01-19-2008, 06:24 PM
Summer - Wash/Full Detail every saturday

Winter - Wash whenever its not too cold out, only wax once or twice

This reminds me I cant wait for spring to come lol

audiFUEGO
01-19-2008, 06:47 PM
ok because i wasnt sure if should wax the car with the orbital again after i did it last week...I must say tho, the carwash i use really strips alot of the wax off..

For those of you that polish your paint with an orbital, how often do you do that?

AudiRacerS4
01-19-2008, 06:50 PM
ok because i wasnt sure if should wax the car with the orbital again after i did it last week...I must say tho, the carwash i use really strips alot of the wax off..

For those of you that polish your paint with an orbital, how often do you do that?

I wax once a month and fully detail it 2-3 times a year its not good to wash and wax your car alot it ruins the paint

317ssayzarc
01-19-2008, 07:00 PM
I wax once a month and fully detail it 2-3 times a year its not good to wash and wax your car alot it ruins the paint

coming from an awesome detailer! i agree [up]

audiFUEGO
01-19-2008, 07:21 PM
hey kyle by fully detail do you mean claybar/polish?

AudiRacerS4
01-19-2008, 07:40 PM
hey kyle by fully detail do you mean claybar/polish?

yeah

AudiSport12
01-19-2008, 08:04 PM

Try washing with just water if its not too filthy. If its really dirty, perhaps a tiny amount of soap. My car hasnt seen soap in months.

During the summer I usually do a full detail every other weekend (inside/out minus wax) and just a wash the weekends inbetween. Wax comes about once a month or so or when it needs it.

A4Rollin
01-19-2008, 08:33 PM
you know whats funny, my neighbor has this sick Z06 and he dries it with a electric leaf blower! Ive tried it and its really a waste of time but he has 640hp so i let him do his thing...

audiFUEGO
01-19-2008, 08:35 PM
anyone else wash with just water?

wont that leave swirls?

AudiRacerS4
01-19-2008, 08:36 PM
you know whats funny, my neighbor has this sick Z06 and he dries it with a electric leaf blower! Ive tried it and its really a waste of time but he has 640hp so i let him do his thing...

thats what you are supposed to do to get all the loose water off the car

A4Rollin
01-19-2008, 08:38 PM
you use a leaf blower too??? guess im dumber then the average bear[:p]

AudiSport12
01-19-2008, 08:45 PM
anyone else wash with just water?

wont that leave swirls?

Not if you have a good topcoat of wax on it. Soap will leave more swirls as it strips off wax. I've never heard of the leaf blower thing. I honestly dont see the point in messing with all that. Now I use compressed air after drying it to get all the water out of the cracks before wax or anything else is done to the outside of the car.

317ssayzarc
01-19-2008, 09:06 PM
Not if you have a good topcoat of wax on it. Soap will leave more swirls as it strips off wax. I've never heard of the leaf blower thing. I honestly dont see the point in messing with all that. Now I use compressed air after drying it to get all the water out of the cracks before wax or anything else is done to the outside of the car.

me too... x2 on the compressed air [up]

AudiRacerS4
01-19-2008, 09:33 PM
you use a leaf blower too??? guess im dumber then the average bear[:p]

no i just use my shop vac lol [:p]

biketsai
01-19-2008, 10:07 PM
I use a leaf blower as well when I have the time.

oldblu
01-19-2008, 10:39 PM
How do you use the "foam"? Is it any good? and how what do you follow up on it?

AudiSport12
01-19-2008, 10:41 PM
I use a leaf blower as well when I have the time.

But whats the point? I dont understand. It takes much less time to chamois it off. If anything, I'd think blowing it with a leaf blower would kick up dust which would stick to the water putting scratches in it when you finish drying it off. Or do yall not wipe it down when your done with blowing it?

[confused]

317ssayzarc
01-19-2008, 10:51 PM
But whats the point? I dont understand. It takes much less time to chamois it off. If anything, I'd think blowing it with a leaf blower would kick up dust which would stick to the water putting scratches in it when you finish drying it off. Or do yall not wipe it down when your done with blowing it?

[confused]

well i dont use a leaf blower but my compressed air leaves nothing to be desired... the cars i do are usually mint so i am working with a good coat of wax... but i try to touch the car as little as possible when washing it... the customers keep it clean and waxed, but wash it so much that it spiderwebs like crazy, i cant keep up the protection w/ their crazy wash schedule...

biketsai
01-19-2008, 10:53 PM
Well, when I do blow dry, I do it so all the water in the cracks, etc comes out.
Normally it doesnt work so well for taking water off of the car.

317ssayzarc
01-19-2008, 10:58 PM
Well, when I do blow dry, I do it so all the water in the cracks, etc comes out.
Normally it doesnt work so well for taking water off of the car.

what type of nozzle and psi are you running?

im running 135psi and a flattened nozzle that sheets any water off of the car...

AudiSport12
01-19-2008, 11:08 PM
Ok that makes more sense. I was thinking yall would do it to get all the water off.

biketsai
01-19-2008, 11:09 PM
what type of nozzle and psi are you running?

im running 135psi and a flattened nozzle that sheets any water off of the car...

I actually use a leaf blower.
No compressor here [:(]

AudiRacerS4
01-20-2008, 10:12 AM
I actually use a leaf blower.
No compressor here [:(]

same i use my shop vac on the blower setting with blower nozzel

Calabria
01-20-2008, 01:40 PM
Usually wash 3x a month and wax 2x a month. Lightly polish and clay bar every other month or so.

Tiluleshpingen
01-20-2008, 02:55 PM
my car hasnt see a wash or wax since fall show-n-go, to dry it off i just get quicky on the high way and do a couple of 30- 110 mph and its done

Calabria
01-20-2008, 03:01 PM
My car hasnt seen a wash in almost 5 weeks now due to on/off rain and cold weather...

biketsai
01-20-2008, 07:48 PM
I normally do a full detail every 2-3 weeks. And I will just pressure wash followed by instant detail inbetween.

Alan
01-20-2008, 08:03 PM
I wash my car 1-2 times a week during winter, and once a week during spring/summer/fall. Ill Quick Detail it 2 days a week usually, and full detail once every 2-4 weeks.

How can you guys say that washing and waxing will ruin the paint? if you use the two bucket method, and wash it right, it wont leave swirls. I'd rather wash it than leave road salt+dirt on it anyday.

AudiRacerS4
01-20-2008, 10:21 PM
I wash my car 1-2 times a week during winter, and once a week during spring/summer/fall. Ill Quick Detail it 2 days a week usually, and full detail once every 2-4 weeks.

How can you guys say that washing and waxing will ruin the paint? if you use the two bucket method, and wash it right, it wont leave swirls. I'd rather wash it than leave road salt+dirt on it anyday.
im not talking about ruining it from scratches during washes. washing your car too much and waxing it will ruin the paint and actually make it less shiny. Every time you wash you take some layers off the paint and doing it too much will cause damage and a bad finish. And waxing it every 2-3 weeks is bad as well because all you are doing is adding more and more layers of wax that just absorb shit. All you need to do to keep your car looking great is a good wash every so often a good wax every 2-3 months and a full out detail maybe 2 times a year

bassed
01-21-2008, 04:44 AM

2nd. You should only wax after you clay then polish or have already done your full detail and do so sparingly. Washing then waxing and repeating this process just layers particulates and eventually damages paint. I maybe wax 3 times a year, use Menzerna and Adam's products only and my car and details are pretty well known after H20 this past year.

2 Full details a year 1) Spring 2) Winter Prep (more important to layer on 5-6 coats of Wax to allow you to just spray winter off of the car[;)])

m5racer
01-21-2008, 06:17 AM

yo really think its a a waste of time. Using the leaf blower is my favorite thing to use in the summer time when im feeling lazy or short on time. car usuailly come out pretty good but realistically it alwasy come out better with a proper dry.

AudiRacerS4
01-21-2008, 08:01 AM
2nd. You should only wax after you clay then polish or have already done your full detail and do so sparingly. Washing then waxing and repeating this process just layers particulates and eventually damages paint. I maybe wax 3 times a year, use Menzerna and Adam's products only and my car and details are pretty well known after H20 this past year.

2 Full details a year 1) Spring 2) Winter Prep (more important to layer on 5-6 coats of Wax to allow you to just spray winter off of the car[;)])

x2 i use the full line of adams's, menzerna, and swissvax from phil and pretty much use the same routine as you and my 9yo paint looks amazing

audiFUEGO
01-21-2008, 08:14 AM
8 layers of wax? wax/buff, wax/buff, wax/buff, ect.?

I just polished/waxed the car last week (one layer) and its dirty already... what should do at this point? Can i use a dish soap to strip all the wax and then apply the new coat without claybar/polish (which i did the last wash)?

AudiRacerS4
01-21-2008, 08:26 AM
8 layers of wax? wax/buff, wax/buff, wax/buff, ect.?

I just polished/waxed the car last week (one layer) and its dirty already... what should do at this point? Can i use a dish soap to strip all the wax and then apply the new coat without claybar/polish (which i did the last wash)?

alain you should look into buying this to get the old wax off http://www.detailersdomain.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=110

biketsai
01-21-2008, 10:09 AM
SO, if I should only wax every 2-3 Months.
What am I supposed to do inbetween?
If I wash it, then the wax will come off, etc.
Im a bit confused.

Solaris
01-21-2008, 10:24 AM
I usually wash every other week in the summer, maybe once/month in the winter. Wax once in the fall and once in the spring.

A4Rollin
01-21-2008, 10:37 AM
yo really think its a a waste of time. Using the leaf blower is my favorite thing to use in the summer time when im feeling lazy or short on time. car usuailly come out pretty good but realistically it alwasy come out better with a proper dry.
If you use it to dry the whole car i think its a waste of time. If your just using it to get water out of cracks and tight places then its different. When i said its a waste of time earlier, i was referring to my neighbor who is out there using a leaf blower for 30 minutes!

Alan
01-21-2008, 11:11 AM
alain you should look into buying this to get the old wax off http://www.detailersdomain.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=110

I find it hard to believe that washing your car will take off clearcoat. I know paint correction takes off clearcoat, but thats it. And more wax will not "absorb shit" The only thign it would do it create a thicker barrier. Most waxes have a cleaning agent in them anyways, which would strip off some of the old wax.

"SO, if I should only wax every 2-3 Months.
What am I supposed to do inbetween?
If I wash it, then the wax will come off, etc.
Im a bit confused."

Depending on the weather, I'd wax it every 1-3 months. If you use a good car soap, it wont significantly strip the wax. You could wash it every week or so, and you'll be fine.

My recommendation would be to use sealant though. It is more "robust" than wax, and will last longer. The sealant I use will last 5 month's over the summer, washing it every week.

Alan
01-21-2008, 11:13 AM
x2 i use the full line of adams's, menzerna, and swissvax from phil and pretty much use the same routine as you and my 9yo paint looks amazing

have you ever tried Lusso Oro? And what kind of swissvax have you used. Im trying to decide if it's worth it to test out some of their wax.

AudiSport12
01-21-2008, 11:52 AM
im not talking about ruining it from scratches during washes. washing your car too much and waxing it will ruin the paint and actually make it less shiny. Every time you wash you take some layers off the paint and doing it too much will cause damage and a bad finish.

This is another reason why I wash my car with stricly water. Just wet it, wipe it off with a wash mit, and dry it with a chamois. Using water with the good topcoat of wax I keep on my car, I dont have to worry about stripping the wax/paint.

It is very important to keep your wash mit and chamois clean. I spray them out before and after every wash.

Im also using all Zymol products which leave an unbelievably strong and long lasting protective finish. It'll last a good 5 months on my car. I never try to let it go that long but it has before. I'll put Zymol Concours Wax on just about every month and a half or so.

AudiRacerS4
01-21-2008, 01:52 PM
have you ever tried Lusso Oro? And what kind of swissvax have you used. Im trying to decide if it's worth it to test out some of their wax.

yes ive tried the lusso oro and its a very good product. ive used the swissvax cleaner fluid, wheel wax, paint rubber, and the onyx and concorso waxes and i have to say they are amazing products but quite pricey. Ive been using alot of the menzerna product line lately and im very impressed plus you get a lot for a decent price

bassed
01-21-2008, 02:38 PM
Wax does not clean at all, washing cleans mildly. Clay pulls particulate caught in clear coat. Polish will then smooth and remove swirls and haze, while it preps the clear for sealer and wax. I seal with Menzerna FMJ and then put down about 6 layers Butter on top of it. I never wash with soap in between I simply rinse or power wash in a bay during the winter. I wash maybe in summer 2 times in between, but never wax in between full treatments. I always use a PC with clean pads and I always through my mit and all micro-fibres in the wash after each use, never using fabric softner on them in the dryer. I use micro drying towels from adams, which leave no streaks and are the best method for drying I have ever seen.

My method is build up protection and make it so it last and does it's job for a minimum of 1/4 of the year.

I've used ton's of products and have just ended up sticking with Menzerna and Adams at this point because of results on various color cars.

My fathers old 98 boxter:
http://BASSED.smugmug.com/photos/65012236-L.jpg

Horrible condition before detail, probably worst paint I had to work with ever (hardly washed or cared for after it pulled off the lot)
http://BASSED.smugmug.com/photos/65012721-L.jpg
Jenn's car should have gone into Top DAWG at H20 keep an eye out for an ET spread of this GLI.
http://BASSED.smugmug.com/photos/203601922-L.jpg

My boot:

http://BASSED.smugmug.com/photos/95413882-L.jpg

AudiSport12
01-21-2008, 02:59 PM
^^ I hear ya on the no soap just pretty much rinse/wipe/rinse/dry.

I always use a PC when applying polishes/swirl removers/etc. I apply the Zymol Carnuba with my bare hands though like it supposed to be. I only use microfibers at most two times for taking off wax/polish.

599 I did when I detailed at Ferrari.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e277/kyleconn/599%20GTB/DSCF1735.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e277/kyleconn/599%20GTB/DSCF1744.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e277/kyleconn/599%20GTB/DSCF1743.jpg

audiFUEGO
01-21-2008, 04:02 PM
is it horrible if you use fabric softener when you dry your microfiber towels??

Also whats the difference between meguiar's cleaner wax and meguiars carnauba wax?

Kyle i bet that stuff works great but 60 bucks for 3-4 uses?

317ssayzarc
01-21-2008, 04:55 PM
EVERYONE who really cares for their car should get a porter cable orbital buffer... its nearly impossible to damage your paint with one, 90% off the time you see "swirls" from a buffer, its either A) someone using a rotary which is much more powerful or B) someone using a dirty pad with the orbital... also the PC makes products go further, alot further... and did i mention the results are great?

BEFORE
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff52/crazyass713/P1030530.jpg

AFTER
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff52/crazyass713/P1030532.jpg

and a pic of the car:
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff52/crazyass713/P1030548.jpg

eastcoastjettin
01-21-2008, 05:09 PM
summer- wash once a week
summer- wax once a month

winter- wash whenever its warm out
winter- wax once or twice

AudiSport12
01-21-2008, 05:18 PM
Yeah a PC really does work wonders. It is a must for those who really want their car looking good. And having a CLEAN pad is VERY important.. haha I accidently found the out the hard way when I first started using the PC.

317, how do you normally use it on the cars? With every product I use my 7424 with, (like my 3M blue, Zymol HD Cleanser, etc.) I normally put it on a level 4 just to quickly apply then after I usually put it on 6 and move slowly to work it in. It has always worked pretty well for me on every car I do.

jriddle11
01-21-2008, 05:22 PM
Winter:
I wash it once a week just to keep the dirt and salt off the paint. In the winter I normally dont wash it myself I just use a touchless car wash.

All other seasons:
I wash it once a week and use an instant detail almost every day. I hate it when my car even has a coat of dust on it.

I claybar and wax it about 3 times a year. I try to make sure once is before the weather goes cold and once is right after our winter is over.

A4Rollin
01-21-2008, 05:26 PM
hey guys is there a certain brand name pc you would strongly recommend? I want to by one but want to make sure its reliable and you guys can swear by it as well. Crazzyass Ive seen your work so advise from you would be swell too!

AudiSport12
01-21-2008, 05:29 PM
Porter Cable 7424

http://www.autogeek.net/dual-action-polishers.html?gclid=CPawxP3XiJECFQT-lgodaAFXHw

Pricey, but worth it. You can probably find them cheaper somewhere else but I just found this in .293 seconds.

I also find it much easier to remove the handle on the PC as it just gets in the way and its pretty easy to wack it up agaisnt the car if your not careful.

bassed
01-21-2008, 05:32 PM
is it horrible if you use fabric softener when you dry your microfiber towels??

Also whats the difference between meguiar's cleaner wax and meguiars carnauba wax?

Kyle i bet that stuff works great but 60 bucks for 3-4 uses?

Fabric softener really coats things, especially microfibres. It actually kills them. Boiling them will help release things, but at that point they become rags.

I don't really use meguirs products so I can not comment.

bassed
01-21-2008, 05:33 PM
hey guys is there a certain brand name pc you would strongly recommend? I want to by one but want to make sure its reliable and you guys can swear by it as well. Crazzyass Ive seen your work so advise from you would be swell too!

PC=Porter Cable[;)] Get the one listed above, you can go through Phil at Detailers Domain for a good price and all your needs.

317ssayzarc
01-21-2008, 05:33 PM
Yeah a PC really does work wonders. It is a must for those who really want their car looking good. And having a CLEAN pad is VERY important.. haha I accidently found the out the hard way when I first started using the PC.

317, how do you normally use it on the cars? With every product I use my 7424 with, (like my 3M blue, Zymol HD Cleanser, etc.) I normally put it on a level 4 just to quickly apply then after I usually put it on 6 and move slowly to work it in. It has always worked pretty well for me on every car I do.

well i use the same process for every car, the only thing that changes is the pad for compounding, depending on how much correction needs to be done...

clay
megs #83 (usually on orange pad)
Klasse AIO on a white pad
Klasse sealant by hand, wait overnight
possibly some megs #7 glaze if i want more depth, usually not
megs #26 by hand if i glazed, or gray pad if not

to be honest, i spread it on low, then leave it maxed... i only slow it down if im using it to wax... i could leave it on one spot for 30 seconds not moving it and not damage anything, so dont be afraid to work slow and break down the product [up]

A4Rollin
01-21-2008, 05:41 PM
thanks guys

317ssayzarc
01-21-2008, 05:45 PM
Fabric softener really coats things, especially microfibres. It actually kills them. Boiling them will help release things, but at that point they become rags.

I don't really use meguirs products so I can not comment.

the ONLY thing i use to clean microfibers is DP pad cleaner... and only for my non correction use cloths, meaning: wax, glaze, sealant... but all the others get machine washed and are used on interiors

AudiSport12
01-21-2008, 05:53 PM
Yeah, I only use my microfibers for wax/etc once -at MOST twice- on my paint. After that, they are retired and become interior and shop rags. I buy the packs of like 30 MF at Costco for $8 and that lasts me a while.

I wash out the PC pads after every use though using "Big Orange" made by ZEP. Can those pads be put in the wash/drier?

bassed
01-21-2008, 05:53 PM
the ONLY thing i use to clean microfibers is DP pad cleaner... and only for my non correction use cloths, meaning: wax, glaze, sealant... but all the others get machine washed and are used on interiors

The Adam's microfibres actually clean best with a boil and a wash. Washing machines clean much better than DP pad cleaner alone, best would probably be a combo of both. I have microfibres for wax, polish, and for interior myself (all sorted and orgiminized[:)]

317ssayzarc
01-21-2008, 05:59 PM
Can those pads be put in the wash/drier?

idk, never tried it to be honest...

Toyotatech
01-21-2008, 05:59 PM
That Ferrari looks great. Good job.

AudiSport12
01-21-2008, 06:02 PM
That Ferrari looks great. Good job.

Which one? haha they both do

bassed
01-21-2008, 06:02 PM
idk, never tried it to be honest...

Pads should not go in washer/drier, only the microfibres (but no Fabric Softner) only use PD cleaner and or simple green and a pad brush with high pressure hose (good hot water soak to break it up first with simple green in the mixture) on the pads.

317ssayzarc
01-21-2008, 06:04 PM
The Adam's microfibres actually clean best with a boil and a wash. Washing machines clean much better than DP pad cleaner alone, best would probably be a combo of both. I have microfibres for wax, polish, and for interior myself (all sorted and orgiminized[:)]

hmmm... i use super hot water from the hose, but no boil... think the idea is to soften the product with heat, and the cleaner does the rest... got mine sorted as well lol [:D]

317ssayzarc
01-21-2008, 06:06 PM
Pads should not go in washer/drier, only the microfibres (but no Fabric Softner) only use PD cleaner and or simple green and a pad brush with high pressure hose (good hot water soak to break it up first with simple green in the mixture) on the pads.

ive never gotten a pad saturated enough to have to use the brush, i have one tho... and i throw em in before the product dries, that helps a ton!

biketsai
01-21-2008, 08:02 PM
What should be done normally to clean the PC pads?
How should it be done?

AudiSport12
01-21-2008, 08:12 PM
Just use very hot water and something that'll break down the wax/sealant/whatever. I like using a strong orange degraser because it breaks down everything nicely.