PDA

View Full Version : City light wiring question for 2-piece xenon ecodes

Chard
08-18-2004, 06:28 PM
Hi,

I have a question regarding the FAQ on Audiworld. My brother has a 98.5 A4 and his lights and wiring are different from mine (99.5). His headlight setup is xenons with Euro S4 2-piece e-codes. The only problem is his city lights don't ever come on. I opened up his housing and they're wired up, they just never come on for some reason.

The way he wants it to light up is the way they have them in Europe, with the city lights on instead of the parking lights when you turn the headlights on the first click, and the low beams to come on with the city lights on the 2nd click. The orange turn signal bulbs only come on when signaling or flashing hazards.

After reading the FAQ, it looks like the city lights run in line with the orange turn bulbs, am I right?

So is there a way to make them run the way I described? I was thinking I can just cut that smaller wire from the corner light and run the power from that to the city light by splicing into the grey wire. Would this work the way he wants to have it? If so, since the turn signal bulb is on the outside of the sealed back of the housing, is the only way to run the wire into the housing to get to the city light to drill through the backing of the housing?

Thanks for any input. Sorry this is so long.

RedRocket
08-18-2004, 07:43 PM
Basically from what I understand you want the city light to do what the parking lights do, and you want the parking lights to not come on except when signaling.

So:

Three wires go to the corner bulb. You will use the smaller one.

Cut the smaller one to disable parking light(what I did) or just tap into it for power.

I figure your headlamp harness plugs into the back of the housings with the one peice adapter (the Bosch to Valeo adapter that costs 50 bucks). Is this true?

If so, is there a wire going from the city light to the plug in the back of the housing? If that is true, I would see which pin matches that wire on the adapter plug and sauder the parking light wire to that pin. That would make a nice install but I have never seens housings that have city lights so I might be wrong. I have however gone from 97 two piece to S4 housings so I did learn a little. Hope that helps.

Chard
08-18-2004, 08:39 PM
Yes, you're right about the harness. I think these were the LLtek setup xenons, which come all plug and play. The city light wire goes to a pin (1 of 4) but I think a few other wires go to the same pin. I didn't really look too closely at that part so I may be wrong. If that's the case, then I can just find out which pin it is, and splice into the wire that's coming from the car (and goes into that same pin) for the cleanest install, right? I won't be messing anything else up I hope.

As of now, I just cut the turn signal wires so they only come on when signaling. I'll try to splice the city light wire into the car wire some other day.

Thanks for the help. Any other input is appreciated [:)]

RedRocket
08-18-2004, 09:20 PM
I can only amagine multiple wires going to the same pin if the're grounds so double check, but I'm no wiring expert. Good luck.

Anthony
08-18-2004, 09:26 PM
Damn, I've never wired up two-piece E-Codes before. I'd have to see it in person to figure it out. Maybe we can meet up sometime soon and I'll have a look, see if I can't help?

Basically you should just have to splice the city-light power wire into the parking-light power wire that you cut.

Chard
08-19-2004, 12:02 AM
You can check it out if you're not too busy, I'm up for that. I would just splice the wire that I cut into the city light wire, but that runs into the harness which plugs into the harness that's connected to the car...and it's sealed behind a cover. I don't want to break this seal...so maybe there's a way to just splice it into one of the wires running from the car to the housing...which connects to the city light? I don't know, I'm supposed to be an Engineer but it's stuff like this that steered me AWAY from Electrical Engineering [;)]