PDA

View Full Version : boost gauge | hook up

Rico750
01-18-2008, 03:28 PM
OK GOT MY CAR BACK TODAY! ! you have no idea (or you probably do) how it feels to driev 10 weeks without boost and then have it again.. omg feels great !

i wanna get my boost gauge in tonight and nee to know where exactly hook up the T-piece in that vaccuum line.. is there a specific preffered spot to hook it up ?? Or where did yoyu huys hooks your up? and then power.. some said to take power from the n75 ?? and woukld that then turn off when the engine turns off? or is there another spot you can might hook it up :) easier is better :)

thanks !!

audiluxary
01-18-2008, 03:54 PM
Tap the t fitting into the small vac line closest to the windshield. The one that is about 5 inches long running from the FPR to the intake manifold. Make sure you put clamps on all the fittings so they won't pop off especially if your have silicone vac lines. Run the power line for the boost gauge to the N75 power fuse located under the kick board farthest to the left. Run your ground to one of the bolts holding the fuse panel down on the side. The power will turn on when you turn your car on and off when you turn it off. Pretty quick set up and everything is hidden and clen. I shrink wrapped all my wires after because I had the prosport gauge and it came with quite a few wires. Never had a problem and works perfect.

Solaris
01-18-2008, 04:20 PM
It's actually called the 75X terminal under the dash for power. Some prefer to use the front manifold vac line (me included) since a leak in the FPR line changes the signal and would affect fueling. Just make sure you clamp the lines down and you should be fine using the FPR line.

biketsai
01-18-2008, 04:55 PM
What kind of boost guage do you have?

Seerlah
01-18-2008, 05:02 PM
There are 2 places to tap into for vsacuum/boost reading. The FPR line which connects to manifold closest to windsheild, or the hose in front of manifold. Bascially, the 2 visible hoses that are on manifold when you pop open the hood. Either one will do. I am installing my boost gauge rather soon (DIY VDO boost gauge) and this thing is taking forever to get here. Ordered 2 weeks ago. But I am going to use the line in front of manifold. But either one will work.

Rico750
01-18-2008, 05:31 PM
What kind of boost guage do you have?

pro sport boost gauge...

Rico750
01-18-2008, 05:32 PM
There are 2 places to tap into for vsacuum/boost reading. The FPR line which connects to manifold closest to windsheild, or the hose in front of manifold. Bascially, the 2 visible hoses that are on manifold when you pop open the hood. Either one will do. I am installing my boost gauge rather soon (DIY VDO boost gauge) and this thing is taking forever to get here. Ordered 2 weeks ago. But I am going to use the line in front of manifold. But either one will work.

do you maybe have a pic of that ? or an engine with an arrow? im always so afraid i mess it up :)

A4Rollin
01-18-2008, 05:35 PM
rico where did you get the prosport from? Did you happen to find the black rubber ring to put around the edge of it on the face? I couldnt find it anywhere

onemoremile
01-18-2008, 05:41 PM
See that black vac line hanging down in front of the engine? Usually it is clipped to the black plastic timing belt cover. Where that hose connects at the close end of the intake manifold (right above the alternator) is where you want to tee in. Run the line for the gauge back under the intake manifold and through the firewall where the ECU cables run. Mine runs to the tee under the manifold and then back out to the diverter valve and boost gauge.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b397/onemoremile/IMG_0782.jpg

Rico750
01-18-2008, 05:54 PM
rico where did you get the prosport from? Did you happen to find the black rubber ring to put around the edge of it on the face? I couldnt find it anywhere

i used a black marker and patience and i made it black.. ill show you pics probably tommorow when its mounted..

A4Rollin
01-18-2008, 06:01 PM
lol, if it looks good thats what counts!

Rico750
01-18-2008, 06:04 PM
See that black vac line hanging down in front of the engine? Usually it is clipped to the black plastic timing belt cover. Where that hose connects at the close end of the intake manifold (right above the alternator) is where you want to tee in. Run the line for the gauge back under the intake manifold and through the firewall where the ECU cables run. Mine runs to the tee under the manifold and then back out to the diverter valve and boost gauge.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b397/onemoremile/IMG_0782.jpg

that hose you are talking about goes at my car to a different spot underneath that same manifold.. you think they hooked it up wrong?? i can maybe get ya a pic

Seerlah
01-18-2008, 06:28 PM
Sorry Onemoremile, I picture jacked you :P

I circled the places for the tap for boost reading. The one on front is more commonly used. The one in back is the fuel pump regulator line. That can also be used, but the front one is more recommended. I have no idea how Onemoremile has his engine modded, but that is correct hose to use. Since you are stock like me, the feed leads to under the manifold.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee147/seerlah/picjack1.jpg

legionvr6
01-18-2008, 06:34 PM
pro sport? is it the same one revo uses for his vent gauges? if it is does yours have 4 wires? cuz i only know what to use 2 of them for lol they go to the fuse box. what the hell do the other 2 do? lol no diy show what they are for

Rico750
01-18-2008, 06:43 PM
ok i used the one in the bottom of that last pic.. but that hose goes back on mine to the same manifold underneath... hmm wonder if teh screwd me up.. i put the T in and got about -18 presure when i started the car.. does that sound about right ?

not i have to find a way to get that wire to thje front.. i opened the vent thing inside of my car but it is closed behind it.. not sure yet how i will get my vacuum hose through there to the inside of my dashboard.,. ill search the forums :)

A4Rollin
01-18-2008, 06:44 PM
to what i remember you only use three of them. Red for red backlight, orange for white backlight? Rico had a post awhile back with the answer but i cant remember

Rico750
01-18-2008, 06:50 PM
man i cant find a through to get the vacuum hose from the dash board to the engine.. is there a hole somewhere ??

legionvr6
01-18-2008, 06:55 PM
you cut a hole in the side of the vent twards the stearing wheel. then you take off the drivers side wiper and take of the rain gaurd and theirs like a niple to cut in their and that how you get it to their then theirs another niple to get it past the next file wall and your in. just look around i spoted the fake fire wall niple automaticly but i havnt had a chance to find the other niple lol

jlien08
01-18-2008, 07:48 PM
you cut a hole in the side of the vent twards the stearing wheel. then you take off the drivers side wiper and take of the rain gaurd and theirs like a niple to cut in their and that how you get it to their then theirs another niple to get it past the next file wall and your in. just look around i spoted the fake fire wall niple automaticly but i havnt had a chance to find the other niple lol

I can always spot a nipple. LOL

Seerlah
01-18-2008, 08:04 PM
You drill a hole in the back of the vent housing. You run the hose and wires for boost gauge trhough there also, so make sure you drill a hole big enough. Here is a DIY. It is rather straight forward.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2365126

You should have vacuum reading of ~20 and if you are stock (no chip) you should peak around ~9-11 psi.

Edit: The DIY does not show wires for gauge as I am pretty sure that your model does not have lights for vent close/open switch. I am attaching the AWE DIY for your wires. Steps 3, 11, 12.

http://www.awe-tuning.com/media/pdf/Center_vent_gauge_A4S4.pdf

Rico750
01-18-2008, 11:12 PM
OK THIS IS IT !

i couldnt wait to see the awnsers so i just started at about 7 pm
got the vac hoses claps cables etc etc.. ik took me forever... allmost 5 hours..(just got done)
cutting out the hole in the vent.. running all the lines wires
I ran the vacuum hose through the ECU box besides all the fuses up to my vent.
MAN THIS THING LOOKS AWESOME! Next time would probably take me an hour because i know now how to do it. Car seems to be all metric so its easy for me as former European to work with it..
it seems that i have a reading of about -18 so i might have a little vacuum leak somewhere that i will try to trace tommorow. Peaks dont seems to pass 15 and occasionaly i still hit the limp mode.. all ingredients for a vaccum leak it seems.

Pics will come soon !!

legionvr6
01-18-2008, 11:42 PM
just instaled mine took about 2 hours alone and trying not to brake any thing lol. idle is at -23 or so peek i saw on my short run was 6 so i think i need to calibrate mine. with the car off it shows -3 or so so i know its off. any one know how to zero out a prosport gauge? mechanical. it maybe the fact that i live in the valley so a high elevation might be throughing it off

Rico750
01-18-2008, 11:48 PM
i live high on in the mountains.. mine reads accurate.. not sure if that influences it to much..

Seerlah
01-19-2008, 03:07 AM
My 2 cents. I have heard that prosport guages are not completely accurate, though are very pretty gauges. That is why I ordered the VDO. I originall wanted the prosport electrical guage with peak boost warning. I am not going by personal experience, just what others have posted.

Solaris
01-19-2008, 05:46 AM
Roughly, per 1,000 feet above sea level, you lose 1 in. Hg. So at 3,000 feet, instead of around 22 in. Hg, you should see 19-20.

legionvr6
01-20-2008, 05:13 AM
argggggg is their a way for me to calibrat a guage? it just anoys me a bit it sites about -2 or3 when off. and -23-24 when idle. i just wana get this thing dead on lol so max boost will show higher then 6psi