PDA

View Full Version : Do you want your instrument cluster with bad pixels fixed?

Pages : [1] 2

macgyver681
01-18-2008, 10:11 AM
I have found a supplier for the LCD screens that go bad in the instrument clusters for the late model B5 A4/S4/Passat and am thinking of setting up a repair service. Would anyone be intereste in it? Not sure of the details but total cost should be sub $200 range. Let me know.

sixfiveoh
01-18-2008, 10:16 AM
If you can figure this out, I'm in for SURE. But all I've heard in the past is that the entire cluster needs to be replaced. Either way, I'll be watching this [up]

macgyver681
01-18-2008, 10:34 AM
If you can figure this out, I'm in for SURE. But all I've heard in the past is that the entire cluster needs to be replaced. Either way, I'll be watching this [up]

The whole cluster needs to be replaced if you are a person who is not comfortable soldering very small contacts. I however am not one of those persons. [;)]

Nebone
01-18-2008, 10:36 AM
I'm missing some then they come back and then some more are missing at a different spot. It depends on the weather. I can't justify spending $200 on that fix. No way Jose.

There has been a write up on how to do this.

savetheclutch
01-18-2008, 10:42 AM
dude I am in 1000%, that crap annoys the shit ot of me... plus I am local so I could be one of the first :)

kozhockey4
01-18-2008, 11:01 AM
interested..

onemoremile
01-18-2008, 11:12 AM
The fading issue is the panel itself. The dropped lines are caused by the cable feeding the panel. To do this repair properly you should do that panel and all the wiring back to the connector.

Can you check to see if there a color screen that will fit in the instrument panel? If I ever do a carputer I'd like to run one as a second screen.

dualaudi
01-18-2008, 11:27 AM
Before I bought my 99.5 1.8t the LCD was all jacked, i told him that was a deal breaker, he got it fixed for $750 or so from a certified repair shop... we split the cost in the final sale of the car, but it was worth it.

onemoremile
01-18-2008, 11:37 AM
I replaced mine with an ebay cluster that cost 60 bucks shipped. Perfect display and lost a few miles in the process. I printed pics of the mileage on the clusters and put them in with the title in case I ever sell the car.

A4Rollin
01-18-2008, 11:45 AM
hey dualaudi, what type of shop was it that he got the screen fixed?

Calisto
01-18-2008, 03:44 PM
you can send it out to bba reman and they will fix it and warranty their work for $200

317ssayzarc
01-18-2008, 03:50 PM
you can send it out to bba reman and they will fix it and warranty their work for $200

link?

317ssayzarc
01-18-2008, 03:51 PM
I'm missing some then they come back and then some more are missing at a different spot. It depends on the weather. I can't justify spending $200 on that fix. No way Jose.

There has been a write up on how to do this.

link?

Ewok_Fetus
01-18-2008, 04:03 PM
So for those of us that also solder our own stuff, how about sharing this source... If all you are doing is buying Garmin GPS 45's on ebay for $25 and canning the screen from that, then I think you are charging too much...

dualaudi
01-18-2008, 04:20 PM
hey dualaudi, what type of shop was it that he got the screen fixed?

ah can't remember, it was in Los angeles like probably near san fernando. I'll look in my car and see if i still have the receipt somewhere.

(anyone know if it's possible to put in a cluster w/ the lcd on an avant that never came standard with one?)

Nor_Cal_Driver
01-18-2008, 04:41 PM
Dealer fixed mine under CPO and told me the cluster was $900, LOL!

audiFUEGO
01-18-2008, 05:43 PM
So for those of us that also solder our own stuff, how about sharing this source... If all you are doing is buying Garmin GPS 45's on ebay for $25 and canning the screen from that, then I think you are charging too much...

ha!

burner799
01-18-2008, 07:30 PM
Before I bought my 99.5 1.8t the LCD was all jacked, i told him that was a deal breaker, he got it fixed for $750 or so from a certified repair shop... we split the cost in the final sale of the car, but it was worth it.

I thought you don't get the lcd until 2000? I have a 99.5 and don't have one but, i have seen a couple 98's and they have them. anybody have some insight into this?

Calisto
01-18-2008, 07:44 PM
http://www.bba-reman.com/

macgyver681
01-18-2008, 08:14 PM
As for the questions...

1) Yes I will resell just the LCD for cheaper if you want to do your own, I do warn you need speciallized equip. not just a solder iron from radio shack but feel free. Supplier sells in bulk so you can't just buy one.

2)No not Garmin 12/40/45/45xl/30 tryed that already, you can't desolder the screen well enough to reuse or at least not consistently enough to make it worth it. These are brand new from the factory, aftermarket panels custom made for our cars.

3) I think you have to read the BBA-Reman site more closely, as far as I have seen they only fix the gas gauge speedo problem not the LCD cluster. If you have more insight let me know and I'll do it too. [;)]

4)The "write-up" on here tells you to take out the screen stick some foam tape or cardboard under it to put pressure on the cable and put it back together. If you believe that will make any real difference feel free. I haven't heard one person who did it succesfully and it SOLVED the problem. It sounds more like a quick fix but the problem will return.

Last thing, I find it funny how in the 3 forums I have posted this offer, more people have told me this either can't be done, or they have a better way but none have seemed to actually do it. I am not forcing anyone to send me their screen. You don't have to. I did this cause my screen sucks I can't even read it and want it fixed. The place I can get the part from is in china and is a distributer who only sell in large volume orders, a single screen if I could buy just one would be nearly $175 so its not worth it so I am trying to see if I can get a bunch of people interested to do it too.

I am not in this too make a bunch of money, in fact if some one else is good at soldering small traces and ribbon cables and wants to help do some people I will gladly sell some screens to them at cost.

I AM JUST TRYING TO HELP PEOPLE OUT HERE [:D]

onemoremile
01-18-2008, 09:54 PM
3. The gas gauge problem has nothing to do with the cluster. It is a dirty sender in the tank sending an inconsistent signal up front.

4. It has been done. Don't remember by who but I've read more than one thread about a successful repair.

Nobody is trying to cockblock you. Folks are just skeptical.

Overboostin
01-18-2008, 10:29 PM
I would be down. But, as was mentioned earlier, would a color screen be possible?

dingguhlbary
01-18-2008, 11:12 PM
Nobody is trying to cockblock you. Folks are just skeptical.

x2

but man i hate getting cockblocked

audiness
01-18-2008, 11:27 PM
im in , that sh1t annoys the #$#$ out of me

Ewok_Fetus
01-19-2008, 03:19 AM
Still, WHO is the supplier?

And for those thinking a color screen... I don't think it would be possible... You would need different controllers, different screen, different lighting... It would NOT be worth it...

Calisto
01-19-2008, 03:49 AM
bba reman charges $200 and the lcd is what they fix i called them and talked to them about it after they fixed my abs module

macgyver681
01-19-2008, 07:27 AM
3. The gas gauge problem has nothing to do with the cluster. It is a dirty sender in the tank sending an inconsistent signal up front.

4. It has been done. Don't remember by who but I've read more than one thread about a successful repair.

As to BBA-Reman this is a quote from their site:
Audi A4 dashboard failing
The Audi range suffers from failing dashboards / clusters. Sadly, the A4 is no exception.
Fuel gauge is the common failure, but temperature gauges failure is not far behind.

I can't speak to those failures, I have never looked into it, mine works fine[:)]. Someone mentioned that they talked to them and they fix the panel for $200. That is the first I have ever heard someone say that BBA fixes the LCD also and have still never heard of anyone actually getting it done so I am skeptical. If thats the route people want to go I'm all for it, its your money your choice. Why are people looking for this fix still if it has been fixed.

I am trying to keep the cost low so I said I would try to do it for under $200, I might be able to go $150 if I can do them quick enough. Its just a function of the cost of the part + hours to install it= final price. I'm not in this for charity I want to get paid for my time, this is just a side project and hobby I have a regular job and don't have lots of spare time. [:(]

macgyver681
01-19-2008, 07:42 AM
Still, WHO is the supplier?

And for those thinking a color screen... I don't think it would be possible... You would need different controllers, different screen, different lighting... It would NOT be worth it...

Yeah I don't know how a color screen would be possible this is a 1 Bit controller and LCD screen, the screen is just a grey peice of glass, the red and yellow come from backlights behind it its actually just Black and White or more acurately grey and clear.

As to the supplier, I am not gonna post the name on a forum, the guy who I have been dealing with is very nice and helpful and posting the info would just cause him lots of emails from people who aren't gonna really buy anything. You can't buy it online its direct selling and in quantities larger than 10pcs.

Like I said previously if anyone wants to buy the screen alone I will sell you one at the exact price I paid for it, don't care about profit, I'll even show you the invoice or order so you can see the price.

Heres what there website says about the company and the part:

"For custom-made automotive parts, we are connected to high-level technology companies in Europe for design, testing, and quality control, and with the added benefit of low Chinese labor costs, we can offer high-tech parts at low prices. Our range covers most of the parts needed for repairing an instrument cluster, ECU, or electronic throttle body, and we have an own line with quality airflowmeters and contact less Throttle position (TPS) sensors."

"We offers an aftermarked LCD glass with flex seal connector and display driver, for the repair from the MID display in the instrument cluster from many car models from the VAG group"

hoganalley
01-19-2008, 08:00 AM
I'm for sure in on this! Mine's been bad since I got the car but since it's freakin' -10 here today, it's great! At least until everything warms up. My problem would be getting the cluster out to you. Mine's a daily driver......Let me know if this goes through!

Ewok_Fetus
01-19-2008, 08:22 AM
As to the supplier, I am not gonna post the name on a forum

Can you at least PM me? I promise I won't tell... [:D]

Honeslty though... I need to replace two, my buddy needs two, another friend needs one, my brother needs one, mom needs one and dad needs one... Yes... We all have Audi's...

macgyver681
01-19-2008, 08:35 AM
I'm for sure in on this! Mine's been bad since I got the car but since it's freakin' -10 here today, it's great! At least until everything warms up. My problem would be getting the cluster out to you. Mine's a daily driver......Let me know if this goes through!

If this does work out I am going to leave the shipping arrangements up to you guys. I would suggest if you need the car as a daily driver to overnight it to me and I will fix it same day and overnight it back, so send it Monday afternoon I fix Tuesday and send it back Tuesday afternoon and you have it Wednesday morning/afternoon.

I do work a somewhat regular job also. I run my own business so I am flexible to some extent. How it will work is that you'll have to schedule a day with me in advance to send it. You choose your shipping method and also include a pre-paid return shipping label of your choice. So it would be a 48 hr turn around.

I will only be doing 1 at a time to start. If it goes quick which it could I'll do more.

Thanks for the interest.

audiness
01-19-2008, 08:47 AM
Just keep in mind that it is not the LCD that fails, its the connector between the board and the LCD

Blake260
01-19-2008, 09:01 AM
Im in

macgyver681
01-19-2008, 09:05 AM
Just keep in mind that it is not the LCD that fails, its the connector between the board and the LCD

Thanks, that comment was already addressed previously in these posts.

I posted the whole description of the part from the manufacturer's website:

"We offers an aftermarked LCD glass with flex seal connector and display driver, for the repair from the MID display in the instrument cluster from many car models from the VAG group"

It includes the LCD glass the flex connector(ribbon cable) and the display driver(chip on ribbon cable). All soldered straight to the circuit board.

macgyver681
01-19-2008, 09:18 AM
Here is a picture of the part to clear up some confussion hopefully...

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj138/macgyver681/20071026151921906.jpg

It will look a little different than the original OEM since its not the original OEM made by Epson for Audi/VW.

It was custom made to replace the failed screens in Audi A4/S4/VW Passat/Porche models/Seat models

audiFUEGO
01-19-2008, 09:32 AM
mine doesnt look like that... more rectangular.

macgyver681
01-19-2008, 09:33 AM
Here is the link to the mysterious write up thats been talked about. The only person that says they actually tried said it didn't work for them, no joy.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3449343

macgyver681
01-19-2008, 09:47 AM
mine doesnt look like that... more rectangular.

So rediculous.

Here is a pic i just took of a pulled LCD from the cluster that is dead.

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj138/macgyver681/Picture.jpg

Yes the cable is a different color oh no I guess it can't possibly work.[:p]
This is an AFTERMARKET part, not made by AUDI actually it was made by Epson originally for Audi/VW/Porsche/Seat.

fergie
01-19-2008, 10:19 AM
im in but don't want to pay 200 for a gay screen...

ModifiedA4
01-19-2008, 10:26 AM
I found the Chinese manufacturer of these displays. I suggest you build your business model in two ways.

-offer the repair ability
-offer to sell just the display

the cat is out of the bag, set up your business and start being transparent.

i know how much they cost in quantites of 1000. so lets be realistic here.

anyway, i wish you luck in this venture. this is a great opportunity to help alot of people.

Ewok_Fetus
01-19-2008, 11:00 AM
I was going to say set up a core deal but then you would have hundreds of people driving A4's with incorrect mileage...

macgyver681
01-19-2008, 11:01 AM
I found the Chinese manufacturer of these displays. I suggest you build your business model in two ways.

-offer the repair ability
-offer to sell just the display

the cat is out of the bag, set up your business and start being transparent.

i know how much they cost in quantites of 1000.

I guess you haven't read any of the previous posts so I will enlighten you, I am offering the repair ability or to just sell the display. Read the posts don't just ASSume you know.

Not sure how you would know the price of 1000 without emailing Michael Liu and asking him. Thats the only way I found out. Its nightime in China so he isn't even in the office. I know the price up to 25 up to 100 up to 500 and 500+. I wouldn't even think of 1000. I was hoping to get 25.

By the way price for 1000 would be $57,800. If you have that kinda cash why don't you buy them.

Unless you found another company that sells them I don't think you have any idea what your talking about.

Like I said previously also THIS IS NOT A BUSINESS AND I DON'T CARE TO MAKE MONEY ON IT. I want to fix mine and to do that as cheaply as possible I would have to buy 25+ panels and what the heck am I gonna do with 24 extra ones? Look at this as more of a group buy with installation.

macgyver681
01-19-2008, 11:14 AM
im in but don't want to pay 200 for a gay screen...

You don't have to, I'll gladly sell you the screen at cost and you can put it in yourself.

shaahid
01-19-2008, 11:16 AM
I'm definitely in but is this going to work for sure?

macgyver681
01-19-2008, 11:25 AM
I'm definitely in but is this going to work for sure?

Don't see why it wouldn't but I will definately test it on my own car first and post the results. I will take before and after pics and the removal/installation.

m5racer
01-19-2008, 11:42 AM
i am defineatly in. once u repair once pics would be great to see how it looks. Thanks for decing to help us out beucase mine goes crazy in the summer when its hot, but now in the winter the screen would prefect all the time

kgardnez
01-19-2008, 11:42 AM
I'm sorry to ask for verification, but so many people have been trying to implement this repair in the past and it's simply shown a lot of hot air.

Can you please post some pre and post shots of a cluster? Also what will your warranty be?

I would love to have this as I'm currently running around with incorrect mileage (I've only put ~3K on since replacing the cluster so if I rebuild mine I'll simply place it back in).

njm23
01-19-2008, 11:47 AM
Yeah, I would be all for this, and I am in NJ so I could be somewhat of a test dummy [:D], well besides macgyver, for all of you guys who would have to ship. Tell me it will definitely work, and you can count me in. That f-ed up screen is so annoying. Just a bunch of squiggles, tired of people asking me wtf that is haha.

Tiesto
01-19-2008, 11:56 AM
If the origional ones are prone to failues why am I supposed to believe a Chinese knockoff is any more reliable?

I don't even have B5 but I just hope you guys think before droping so much money on stuff like this.

macgyver681
01-19-2008, 12:28 PM
I'm sorry to ask for verification, but so many people have been trying to implement this repair in the past and it's simply shown a lot of hot air.

Can you please post some pre and post shots of a cluster? Also what will your warranty be?

I would love to have this as I'm currently running around with incorrect mileage (I've only put ~3K on since replacing the cluster so if I rebuild mine I'll simply place it back in).

I will be sure to post pictures when I fix mine which will be the first followed by njm23 since hes willing to be a test dummy [;)]

This isn't gonna be a long time thing since I can already see its a hassle just convincing people. I am planning on getting around 25 screens and offering them with or without installation on a first come first serve basis. It will be a one time thing I won't be doing this indefinately. I'm an architect and my job takes up plenty of my time. This is only a side project/hobby of mine, I love messing with electronics.

So far in the 3 forums I have posted in I have gotten less than 15 real responses from people who will do it if it works so I guess 25 will be more than enough.

As for warranty question, I am not exactly Audi NA here, I am a guy in my office at home offering a fix.
I know the part has a 1 year warranty from the manufacturer but I don't know that I would be able to offer anything other than a non-DOA type warranty. If you install it in your car yourself I ave no way of knowing that you did it right so I can't gaurantee much, sorry. If you have it removed and re-installed by a liscensed mechanic and have proof of that I guess I could garuntee my work for like 90 days but I would just say that if you are that concerned with a warranty, this fix isn't for you.

macgyver681
01-19-2008, 12:50 PM
I can't figure out exactly how much it will be for the installation as I don't know how long it will take to do yet, but I will offer this.

If you want to buy the Screen(with ribbon cable and display controller chip) and try and do it yourself or bring it to your friend/uncle/cousin/step-brother/best-friend/workmate/shop/guru/mechanic/palm-reader/smart-monkey
I will just re-sell them at cost which will be with the info I have so far:

$xx.xx + shipping

For the installation service I have been figuring a max of 3hrs/screen labor time to dismantle/desolder/clean/re-solder/re-assemble/test very carefully.
My times not cheap so I will be billing at $40/hr. (Not that bad, I get alot more for my regular job [:D])

That total $xx.xx + (3 X $40=$120) = $xxx
Thats where the number came from.
If I find it only takes me 1.5 hrs, the total cost would be $xxx.

If you think thats too much, thats fine, this isn't for you. If you really think $xxx-$xxx is alot to fix this thing go to your local Audi dealer and ask them for a quote to fix it. [;)]

ONCE AGAIN, UNLESS I JUST REALLY END UP LIKING DOING THIS I WILL ONLY BE DOING THE FIRST 25 CLUSTERS THAT I GET.
After that your on your own.

I will post a breakdown of how its done here, on VWvortex, and AW after I do a few of them, but I can tell you now it won't be something the average user can do(Ewok_Fetus excluded).

DxC
01-19-2008, 12:51 PM
obviously, if it works ... you will have 100s of people coming to you to do it. think about module masters for the ABS module, they have TONS of people going to them for the ABS repair alone.

just be ready for what you are getting into. do u know how to replace the cable and screen?

i really hope this works, but based on past attempts at solving this, my hopes arent high.

im in if it works . ...

macgyver681
01-19-2008, 12:59 PM
If the origional ones are prone to failues why am I supposed to believe a Chinese knockoff is any more reliable?

I don't even have B5 but I just hope you guys think before droping so much money on stuff like this.

From my experience with Chinese semiconductor products in the past they are as good of quality as any. Sound a little prejudiced to me.

The original OEM panels were made by Epson and were probably manufactured in China anyway. The originals are prone to failure, but its been 7years since the last model that had this particular panel rolled off the production lines and it has only been recently, last 2-3 years that this problem has shown up. So for the first 4-5 years there wasn't much of a problem with them.

There is no way to garuntee that this will fix it forever but if you get another 5 yrs out of it it seems worth it to me, imho.[up]

macgyver681
01-19-2008, 01:14 PM
obviously, if it works ... you will have 100s of people coming to you to do it. think about module masters for the ABS module, they have TONS of people going to them for the ABS repair alone.

just be ready for what you are getting into. do u know how to replace the cable and screen?

i really hope this works, but based on past attempts at solving this, my hopes arent high.

im in if it works . ...

Thanks for the positivity, it is appreciated. Yes I know how to replace the cable and screen. I have had a good amount of experience repairing electronics, soldering 32 connections that my friend broke when he tried to remove his car stereo with a claw-hammer. Chipped dozens of peoples Xbox's. Fixed digital cameras, built many a computer from scratch. I even took some electrical manufacturing courses back in college as part of my engineering major.

They don't call me MacGyver for nothing you know. [:D]

As for the 100s of people. I will put together a step by step description on how to fix it after I do some but I won't be offering the service indefinately, sorry. Maybe someone else on the forums is into electronics and would want to try, I'll gladly pass the torch on.

I setup a new email address just for this project for people to contact me about it. I won't be giving out my home phone number or anything for just the reasons you mentioned. I will try to place the order for the parts within the next week so anyone who wants in should let me know soon. I will post pics after I do mine.

macgyver.lcd.audi.vw.repair@gmail.com

fergie
01-19-2008, 01:25 PM
well if i just buy the screen from you, do you have instrustions how to install it, or any weird tools...

macgyver681
01-19-2008, 01:58 PM
well if i just buy the screen from you, do you have instrustions how to install it, or any weird tools...

Unfortunately, if you have to ask that question, you probably would not be able to do it.

Instructions don't exist yet, but you have to solder 51 tiny traces in a 1.625" space. Like I said, its not for the average user, but I will offer it.

Obviously there is absolutely no warranty on that option.

murphy17
01-19-2008, 02:28 PM
I'm in, without a doubt, I'm sick of dealing with that fading screen, let me know when you are ready to get them started!

ModifiedA4
01-19-2008, 03:36 PM
I will definately buy a module once I see the verification. Once the word gets out, I think you'll see that you could be very popular.

sorry we got off on the wrong foot. im just wary of mysterious 'fixes'. you seem genuine, and that is good.

btw, the site i saw quoted $1 for quantities of 1000+. is that a real price, maybe not.

again mad props for finding what seems to be a real solution.

oldblu
01-19-2008, 03:51 PM
I'm in and I'm from Jersey (Northern but don't mind the trip) I would prefer to actually come to you and watch you do it or something. I hate sending car parts out by mail... PLEASE pm me when you'll be ready to do this

Ewok_Fetus
01-19-2008, 04:08 PM
Yeah, McGuyver is speaking the truth... I would trust him... Really not bad of a price either...

fergie
01-19-2008, 04:08 PM
well shit maybe if you get enough people, maybe you can do it for a lower price, and how can we trust you....

coby
01-19-2008, 07:05 PM
I'd be interested. The only thing is i'm in Australia. I am capable of fitting this myself, would you be willing to post to Aus?

I may be wanting more than one.

DxC
01-19-2008, 07:20 PM
yo im talkin to my homeboy in shenzhen to try to get this hooked up on the cheap. i hope it works out for everyones sake. it would be super cool, i just wonder how many people will be able to perform the surgery.

kermac
01-19-2008, 08:00 PM
Alas - there's more than one gas gauge problem. Probably the most common is the frayed or broken wire from the float arm to the sender unit. In my case, the symptoms were strange: the gauge worked perfectly down to about half full, and then operated erratically from there down. I even ran out of gas on the highway once. When I took the sender out of the tank, the wire was in fact completely broken, so how it transmitted a signal to the gauge at all I have no idea.

The second gas gauge problem I encountered shortly after fixing the above problem. It operated perfectly for a few days, and then I had an intermittent fault with the speedometer. I have posted separately about this on other forums, but after months of trying every known fix but replacing the drive ring for the G22 Speedometer Speed Sensor (the one on the top LH side of the front diff), that's what it turned out to be (reason I left that to last was that it's the most expensive of the possible repairs).

During the period the speedometer was acting up, the gas gauge acted up out of sympathy. It would swing from 3/4 full to 1/4 full, then the fuel warning light and buzzer would come on going around corners. Needless to say, I was heartily sick of the whole thing by now, and assumed I would have to re-do the fuel sender after the speedo was fixed.

But no! As soon as the speedo drive ring was replaced, the fuel gauge instantly returned to normal. There is some sort of link between the VSS sending an 'implausible signal' and the way the gas gauge interprets the signal it is receiving. Please don't ask me to explain it. I'm way over my head already

Just thought I'd pass this on to add to the existing store of knowledge on Audi electronic vagaries.

Cheers

kermac

macgyver681
01-20-2008, 10:34 AM
I'd be interested. The only thing is i'm in Australia. I am capable of fitting this myself, would you be willing to post to Aus?

I may be wanting more than one.

Yes I will send them wherever you want for just the screen. You would be responsible for the shipping cost so I don't mind.

After thinking it over a little more, anyone who wants just a screen, I will probably use paypal to receive your payments so we can all have good records of the transactions.

For those that will want the LCD soldered onto their clusters by me, you can pay by any method (i.e. check in the box with the cluster you mail to me) but I won't send out the finished cluster till whatever payment method it is clears.

I have been a ebay buyer/seller for years and have 100% positive feedback so I am familiar with selling and shipping worldwide.

macgyver681
01-20-2008, 10:37 AM
yo im talkin to my homeboy in shenzhen to try to get this hooked up on the cheap. i hope it works out for everyones sake. it would be super cool, i just wonder how many people will be able to perform the surgery.

I assume you mean Michael Liu. Thats cool, but you will find that they discount highly when you buy in volume so if you want to buy some panels also let me know and we can combine our orders to get the best price. Let me know too if you get a better price quote than I have so far. PM me for details.[:)]

macgyver681
01-20-2008, 10:43 AM
well shit maybe if you get enough people, maybe you can do it for a lower price, and how can we trust you....

If i can get 100+ it will go cheaper but I am not really in it for that long sorry. As for trust, don't know you, you don't know me. I never lie, but I can't really prove that on a forum. [:)]
You are welcome to check my ebay user id macgyver681. My feedback is 100%. Other than that its up to you all to decide.

macgyver681
01-20-2008, 10:45 AM
I will definately buy a module once I see the verification. Once the word gets out, I think you'll see that you could be very popular.

sorry we got off on the wrong foot. im just wary of mysterious 'fixes'. you seem genuine, and that is good.

btw, the site i saw quoted $1 for quantities of 1000+. is that a real price, maybe not.

again mad props for finding what seems to be a real solution.

I saw that site too, no thats just a site to buy contacts to companies that do fabrication. I tried joining that site but no joy so far. I wish they were that cheap. [:D]

Mawhitey
01-20-2008, 10:59 AM
I would give it a risk, even from here in the UK, you could always throw them on Ebay, that way people may feel more "protected" maybe?

just my 0.2p

A4Rollin
01-20-2008, 12:34 PM
when are you planning on starting this. You said you were gonna do yours and someone else was gonna be the guinea but when?....

macgyver681
01-20-2008, 01:51 PM
when are you planning on starting this. You said you were gonna do yours and someone else was gonna be the guinea but when?....

I emailed the sales guy Michael Liu Friday to get the details on how to send payment for the first order of panels. I am still debating whether to get 25 or maybe as many as 50. Shipping is a big factor, up to 1kg is $50 freight. So more panels would mean cheaper shipping per panel which translates to cheaper resale to you guys(only $1 or so but still I'm cheap[;)]).

Payment details will define the time I would be able to get them in. I'm sure no one is gonna offer to front me some money so I gotta come up with the couple $1k to get it going.

In my past experience shipments from China take up to 2 weeks so we are looking at early February most likely. Send an email to the address below and I will send out a mass email to all when they are ready, in case you forget about it by then[drive]

Update Lead time for the parts is around 4 weeks, don't know if that includes shipping, I doubt it. These are custom made to order I guess so it takes some time. So we are looking at late February, early March to start getting them fixed. From what I've heard in the winter when its cold they aren't so bad for some people so I guess its good its now. Mine can't be read any time of year though. A few people have sent an email to my address below. If you haven't and your interested in getting this fixed come Feb/March send me an email and I will update you when they come in and are ready to go. Thanks.

Trying to fix the cluster pox. Send me 1 email and I will send out an update to all when its ready!
macgyver.lcd.audi.vw.repair@gmail.com

macgyver681
01-20-2008, 01:55 PM
I would give it a risk, even from here in the UK, you could always throw them on Ebay, that way people may feel more "protected" maybe?

just my 0.2p

Yup, ebay is a thought of mine also, just don't want to limit it, not everyone is ebay savvy or trusts it, just look through some of the posts in this forum and you'll see what I mean. I use it constantly and have had maybe 1 or 2 not so great experiences in like the past 5 yrs but I will leave the option out there.

coby
01-20-2008, 09:58 PM
Yes I will send them wherever you want for just the screen. You would be responsible for the shipping cost so I don't mind.

After thinking it over a little more, anyone who wants just a screen, I will probably use paypal to receive your payments so we can all have good records of the transactions.

I have been a ebay buyer/seller for years and have 100% positive feedback so I am familiar with selling and shipping worldwide.

Well whatever way you do decide to sell them (paypal or through ebay) put me down as a definite for just the screen. I will only get one, but I will contact others in australia that may be interested also.

ModifiedA4
01-21-2008, 07:56 AM
Just a thought here...

Before you front the money and go through the hassle. You should ask for a sample piece to guarantee they work. Its standard business practice, so it shouldnt be a big deal for your contact.

Anyway, just a thought.

macgyver681
01-21-2008, 09:39 AM
Just a thought here...

Before you front the money and go through the hassle. You should ask for a sample piece to guarantee they work. Its standard business practice, so it shouldnt be a big deal for your contact.

Anyway, just a thought.

I think they do offer samples, but I have a feeling I still would pay shipping which is $50 for anything up to 1kg. It is something I will check on though. Thanks.

ModifiedA4
01-21-2008, 09:59 AM
I think they do offer samples, but I have a feeling I still would pay shipping which is $50 for anything up to 1kg. It is something I will check on though. Thanks.

I think $50 now is not a bad investment for some piece of mind. You can recoup the cost later, which is completely understandable and justifiable.

good luck! [up]

onemoremile
01-21-2008, 12:44 PM
You can either request a free sample or have the shipping costs applied in the final sale. If they balk at giving you a free sample just mention that you have another on the way and just wanted to give this one a try before purchasing in bulk. Works roughly 83% of the time.

zrowcool
01-21-2008, 02:05 PM
i would be in. pm me when you have them ordered and i will drive to where you live so we can remove it and have you replace it. im fairly local so its not too bad.

macgyver681
01-21-2008, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I have emailed the guy asking about it. I will see what he says tomorrow(~12hr time difference is a pain). Problem is I can tell by past emails he isn't exactly fluent in english so I don't know if he will totally understand what I am asking about but we will see. Hopefully I can get a sample. Lead time is ~4weeks on the order so I am not expecting that I would see that sample immediately either.
Don't really mind though, it will all be worth it if this actually fixes this problem once and for all.
If I can't get a sample I will just place the order and hope everyone who says there interested comes through(I have faith in you guys)[;)].
Already have close to 20 ppl who have emailed for updates when these are ready to go. After the first 25 which I have already said I will offer to be installed I will re-order more if their is still interest but I probably won't be offering installation anymore, it will just take too much of my time. Some others have expressed interest in doing it so thats cool with me. I will keep supplying them to anyone who wants to solder them themselves and keep the cost of the part as low as possible.[up]

macgyver681
01-21-2008, 04:22 PM
i would be in. pm me when you have them ordered and i will drive to where you live so we can remove it and have you replace it. im fairly local so its not too bad.

Send an email to the address below and I will keep you updated.

coby
01-22-2008, 01:39 AM
Could you send a reply to those who have e-mailed you to ensure them that they have been recognised.

macgyver681
01-22-2008, 07:01 AM
Could you send a reply to those who have e-mailed you to ensure them that they have been recognised.

Sure[up]

donraja84
01-22-2008, 09:24 PM
http://www.sacer.com.cn/ is the supplier,

Man if you want to be secretive about this stuff, don't post direct quotes from websites....a little thing called google. Now people work together to make this work!

coby
01-23-2008, 03:08 AM
I think that macgyver681 may be right in saying that posting this will cause the manufacturers much grief with an overload of questions and emails.
This does tell us one thing though, it is legitimate. Now rather that everyone sending emails, why don't you just register your interest with macgyver and let him do all the hard work.

Brrman
01-23-2008, 11:20 AM
well said, coby

Gibbs
01-23-2008, 12:37 PM
http://www.sacer.com.cn/ is the supplier,

Man if you want to be secretive about this stuff, don't post direct quotes from websites....a little thing called google. Now people work together to make this work!

google may work wonders but only if you know how to use it. http://www.sacer.com.cn/ doesnt work so get it right b4 trying to show someone up.

i for one am very grateful that macgyver is willing to do all the hard work on this and if some of you had bothered to read what he posts you will see that he is trying his best to offer a service that people require while not making very much on the side. He has even said he will go threw ebay/paypal for added saftey.

Ill be looking for one as mine has started going for some reason and i think its the cold weather doing it. Ave went threw 2 car batterys in the space of 2weeks its been that cold

[:D][:D][cool]

donraja84
01-23-2008, 03:12 PM
google may work wonders but only if you know how to use it. http://www.sacer.com.cn/ doesnt work so get it right b4 trying to show someone up.

[:D][:D][cool]

It works perfectly fine, did you try pressing the Enter button after you typed in the URL?

I'm sorry, but everyone here is so willing to do this because they're assuming none of the risk. Poor mcgyer is going to front the cash for all 25 screens, and all you lot are going to jump on him once he proves they work. He's assuming all the risk. Lets look at the facts:

- Buying from a chinese supplier that's never been met before...reputation?
- Buying a part you've never seen before...quality?
- Paying for a bunch of parts before ever seeing one
- Assuming it will work without ever trying it before

I'm sorry mcgyver, you're taking on way too much risk here...ask everyone to front their $200.00 before you order the parts, let's see how many will be behind you then. Be careful buddy.

macgyver681
01-24-2008, 02:32 PM
Yeah the guys above said it well, posting a link to a company that doesn't do direct ordering in 1 peice increments is just gonna cause trouble. They get like 500 emails from some of the 2200 people that have looked at this thread only 86 of which posted(really probably more like 20 with all the multiple posting people) from people who didn't look into this and ask dumb questions like if they can fix their cluster could make the company not bother with my deal and screw us all. You have a bunch of teenagers with no sense and even older ones without it bothering these guys its gonna blow this whole deal.
I wasn't being secretive I just know how people in furums are, they read alot about stuff but most don't seem to know how to do anything and base all their knowledge on posts and not on actually facts. You know how many people have told me things they "know" about this fix that are just plain wrong, its rediculous. Don't try to be a hot shot because you can type in google. You think I didn't know you can google what I copied. By the time I had pasted that I had already told people the company and website through PM. I don't care if someone else wants to do it but don't be a jerk just to try and look smarter than me.
If you were smarter than me you could've found it without copying my posts.
I am doing this mainly to fix my own cluster and while I'm at it I 'm gonna fix some other peoples too. I have more than enough already to fill the first 25 and am already looking ahead to a second order.
If people don't have anything good to add to the post why do they bother?

macgyver681
01-24-2008, 02:36 PM
http://www.sacer.com.cn/Product.asp?BigClassName=Customer%20Made%20Parts&SmallClassName= Page 4

Here you are all so anxious to get this here you go. If you all start emailing these guys for quotes you will mess this up. There is next to no info on this site about the part you can see the picture I already posted and read the description I already posted.[headbang]
I am like 1 stupid person posting away from throwing up my hands buying 1 panel for twice the price and fixing my own and you guys can fend for yourselves, its rediculous, is everyone on these forums like 17 yrs old?

Ewok_Fetus
01-24-2008, 02:56 PM
Hey mcguyver... Just to let you know, I didn't leak!! But yeah, I agree with you... If you do end up buying one, put me down for one... We will be the only two A4's with working clusters!!

macgyver681
01-24-2008, 03:00 PM
Hey mcguyver... Just to let you know, I didn't leak!! But yeah, I agree with you... If you do end up buying one, put me down for one... We will be the only two A4's with working clusters!!

I know its cool, didn't think you did, you certainly can Google and find it, that is how I found it to begin with just took alot of searching through part numbers. I will still do it, some people are just so dumb, definately not putting the guy that tryed to blow this up on the list of people who are gettin it fixed though. [:p]

01S4inSD
01-25-2008, 10:58 AM
I just joined the site, but I am definitely in for one of the modules.

Revolution02
01-25-2008, 11:34 AM
Sent email to be put on the list!

macgyver681
01-25-2008, 11:45 AM
Just wanted to let everyone know, there will be room on the list so don't worry. Send your emails, and I will keep you updated. I will be giving first choice to those who want it repaired and not just to buy the part and do it themselves just so I have a chance to do some and put together a good write-up. My own car will be the guinea-pig of course but after that its open.

I will place a second order for more screens if there is still alot of requests after the first 25 are gone so don't be afraid to send an email, I will try to get everyone the parts. If anyone wants to send a deposit to assure they get one that can be arranged thru PayPal. You can talk to me about it via email if you'd like. Just an option.

A4Rollin
01-25-2008, 12:06 PM
just sent you an email.... how many people does that make it to now?

macgyver681
01-25-2008, 12:34 PM
just sent you an email.... how many people does that make it to now?

Not sure, don't worry there will be plenty for everyone, I don't think I have more than 15 that want them fixed by me, rest are just for the part. I will offer the service of fixing them on the first 25 like I have said so those are the people that should try and get in first.
If you are planning on trying to DIY you'll have plenty of chances to get one. If I get 100+ emails by the time the second order is ready to go, they will be even cheaper(volume discout over 100). Wishful thinking. [:D]

macgyver681
01-27-2008, 07:30 PM
I will be away on business in Baltimore till Wednesday but I will try to give an update about the status of the order then. If you have any questions(other than when is this gonna be ready, patience) post or email. Also to get your spot on the list email. I will go by dates of emails to determine who gets first dibs on the first order. Thanks for your support/interest.

macgyver681
02-04-2008, 08:45 AM
The company is closed this week for the Chinese new year, Feb 5-11th but the order will be going in as soon as they are back. I hope to have the panels by the first week in March so figure around then for this all to start going. I will post the final prices for the fix when I get them in and give it a try to see how long it will take. I will update the price for a panel alone as soon as I figure it out including the shipping and bank fees I have to pay to get the panels. Thanks for your continued interest and keep the emails coming.

K04B5
02-04-2008, 10:31 PM
How will you decide the order you will do them in? given you have multiple people all waiting...

Gibbs
02-05-2008, 01:13 AM
i think he said something bout time of email or people who want it fitted by him get them 1st then by time of email

Kronic Budz
02-05-2008, 10:21 AM
I was curious to no at how many miles did your guy's clusters start getting messed up at? And what model/year car you guys have?

macgyver681
02-05-2008, 03:39 PM
Gibbs was correct, people who want it installed get first dibbs as this will help me be able to give a good write-up for the do-it-yourselffers. So far I only have about a dozen of them. After that its just whoever asked first by email to buy one. I will order more if I run out provided there is still at least another 25 people interested.

Also if anyone is comfortable soldering/has the right equipment and would like to offer the same service I am to other people email me and let me know.

macgyver681
02-05-2008, 03:40 PM
I was curious to no at how many miles did your guy's clusters start getting messed up at? And what model/year car you guys have?

About 95-100k miles on a 2000 A4

Revolution02
02-05-2008, 03:42 PM
mine started going out at around 80k

audisnapr
02-05-2008, 04:02 PM
just showing some props to someone who is doing something positive for the boards and community :thumbup:

I'm on the list [;)]

macgyver681
02-16-2008, 12:34 PM
Just wanted to update everyone that the order has gone in for the 25 LCDs from the company in China. Keep your fingers crossed that they get here safe and soon so we can get this all going.[eek]

Incidentally I also found out they make MAFs for our cars as well ordered one for myself since mine is shot, been disconnected for like 6 months. If anyone wants one of those I will throw them on the next order I belive they were like $50, hopefully better than the 3 ones I got online and returned since they didn't work(1 used, 2 Reman).

Waiting to here an estimated shipping date for the order. Its a fiasco dealing with overseas companies esp. China. Wiring money takes a while to clear and shipping can take weeks. Hopefully its all worth it and by the summer we all have fancy "new" fully-pixelled MID displays!!! WooHoo!![:D]

audispeed
02-16-2008, 01:10 PM
can you put me on your list? email is crharchie@yahoo.com

Thanks

macgyver681
02-16-2008, 01:14 PM
can you put me on your list? email is crharchie@yahoo.com

Thanks

Just send an email to the address in my signature and you will automatically be added. Let me know if you want just info or are looking to get your cluster fixed or just want to buy the part and DIY. I will let everyone know when they come in.

sixfiveoh
02-19-2008, 12:33 PM
I know I'm impatient, but any updates? [:D]

macgyver681
02-25-2008, 04:32 PM
I know I'm impatient, but any updates? [:D]

Nope. It will take a few weeks for the parts to be made and shipped. I will post when they arrive. Thanks.

brlukosk
03-17-2008, 12:39 PM
Any updates?

audiness
03-17-2008, 06:08 PM
we are all eagerly awaiting this .. i want mine fixed so bad

emers
03-24-2008, 07:31 PM
I have an office in Shenzhen (also Futian District) where this supplier is located. If you have any issues, let me know and I can have one of my local engineers visit them. We build GPS units and use many LCD's. I don't know this specific application, but the cost should not be higher than $50 per unit FOB China. We buy panels which are used in the Garmin like units for $35 each - full color 3.5" LCDs.

Just bought my 3rd Audi -A4 B5 Avant which has some bad pixels, so would like to see this fix work.

dingguhlbary
03-24-2008, 07:53 PM
awesome ^^^^ ask mad questions. lets finally solve this problem

RoadRage
03-28-2008, 10:59 PM
I'm confused....

If it's just the connection that fails, and not the lcd screen itself, why can't we just fix the connection? Why do we need an entirely new lcd?

[confused][confused]

CTdriver
03-29-2008, 07:56 PM
I'm confused....

If it's just the connection that fails, and not the lcd screen itself, why can't we just fix the connection? Why do we need an entirely new lcd?

[confused][confused]

Good question.. this is how it looks on my A4

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/6686/image00172aw2.jpg

RoadRage
03-29-2008, 08:20 PM
[O_O] Damn. Mine doesn't look that bad. But it's still horrible, and probably the worst thing about my car.

Someone explain the problem better. Is it the lcd or the connection? And why can't we just fix the connection?

coyote24mn
03-29-2008, 09:38 PM
If there is a cost-effective way to fix this, count me in because it annoys me every day.

FaustA4
03-30-2008, 09:54 PM
I am in on whatever the fix is. Mine is terrible and I hate it.

CTdriver
03-30-2008, 10:10 PM
let me ask the OP.. you say this LCD screen is backlit by an light? How sure are you with that?

coby
03-31-2008, 04:26 AM
To put it simply. The problem is in the ribbon cable itself. The ribbon cable has a lcd driver on it which and then attaches another cable. I attempted to fix mine and made it worse, now the only option is to buy a new part.

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff26/coby87/DSCN1276.jpg

Where the blue part is, this delaminates from the other part of the cable.

There is a fix floating around saying to put foam under the frame for the screen to push it down firmer, but afaik there is no documented positive result for this cheap fix.

macgyver: any updates as yet?

macgyver681
04-02-2008, 05:12 PM
To address a few of the last questions again, the LCD is basically just a peice of glass with some tiny wires that run through it that turn on and off pixels. It doesn't fail. The connecting ribbon from the LCD to the cluster has a controller chip on it. It doesn't fail either(most likely). The flexible substrate, i.e. the "cable" and its connection to the controller fails due to hot/cold cycles and age. You can't remove/replace the cable alone and even if you could it would be more expensive than just replacing the whole assembly.
The cheap foam tape fix, unfortunately does not work.

Thanks for the offer emers I will let you know if there are any problems.

UPDATES:

Not much right now. They are still in the testing phase. This is the first order Sacer has had for these parts I believe, so they are being extra careful to make sure they are all good before they go out the door. Personally I am glad since I don't want any dead LCD pixels ever again. I will post again when I get a shipping date.

Also as a sidenote the list is up to about 50 ppl who want their LCD panel fixed or just a panel. I think there is about 18 that want it installed by me so there is still room for some more. As soon as I get this batch of panels in and test them I will order more for those that just want the panel. Keep the emails coming though, you will all be counted!

psuaudi
04-17-2008, 07:32 PM
doh...just realized this fix is for B5 A4's...

I don't suppose the B6 A4 screen is the same? [:(]

audiness
04-17-2008, 07:53 PM
i think only the B5's suffer from this problem.

Almost every B5 I have ever seen has this problem, my car is the worst.

hossified
04-17-2008, 09:18 PM
i would be in it for sure if the price was right... my display goes away in warm temperature or when i run the heater for a long time...

psuaudi
04-18-2008, 11:22 AM

no, b6 a4's must have the problem too. mine does. my screen looks the same.

K04B5
04-21-2008, 07:59 PM
just came across this... http://www.tachopix.de/pixelerror/nav.395/subnav.4/pagetype.iav/colnav.8940/

brlukosk
04-21-2008, 08:17 PM
just came across this... http://www.tachopix.de/pixelerror/nav.395/subnav.4/pagetype.iav/colnav.8940/

NICE, this is exactly what we need! $278 USD is a lot thought, not sure if we can get this in the US though.

bcs296
04-21-2008, 11:26 PM
Hmm, my 97 A4 has 93k and the LCD screen is still working perfectly. This new discovery, however, is tempting me since I know it can't be long until mine starts to crap out.

macgyver681
04-22-2008, 08:20 AM
Yeah I can't say for sure that this is for the B6 A4s. Someone would have to pull their cluster and look at the panel and see if the part numbers match up. I have heard that the A6 around 99-00 have the same panel but someone else would have to confirm that the B6 A4 is the same. I was under the impression that it wasn't but Audi could have very well used the same panels and just changed the cluster's looks.

macgyver681
04-22-2008, 08:49 AM

I would have to disagree with you there...I think mine is the worst[;)] After all I looked all over the world just to get it fixed. [headbang] [>_<]

K04B5
04-22-2008, 05:57 PM
any updates on your little plan for fixing everyone's screens? (macgyver681)

macgyver681
04-23-2008, 01:51 PM
Unfortunately still waiting on the parts to be done in China, they are delayed 4-5 weeks still [:(] We are now looking at late May realistically to get started, I sent some unhappy emails to Sacer but I just have to wait, my screen has been unreadable for like a year+, whats another month lol.

macgyver681
04-25-2008, 02:25 PM
Hey Just want to make this Clear since I get a ton of emails asking how much it is to fix this or how much just the part is so to clarify for everyone

I WILL ANNOUNCE THE FINAL PRICING AFTER I RECIEVE THE PARTS. I DON'T YET KNOW THE FINAL COST TO ME SO I CAN'T FIGURE PRICING EXACTLY.

The part alone will most likely be around $85+/- but I can't say that definately till I get them.

Sorry for the bold just want people to see this line before they email me and ask this again.[:d]

LateraLex
05-13-2008, 06:55 AM
Any idea on the exact price?

Brrman
05-13-2008, 09:25 AM

LOL - somone is looking start a flame war...

macgyver681
05-13-2008, 09:47 PM

Your kidding right? [headbang]

kgardnez
05-27-2008, 04:58 AM
I think what he meant to ask is:

"Any idea on your timing to understanding the final price?"

macgyver681
05-27-2008, 08:13 AM
Sorry guys I still don't know, I am at the mercy of the Chinese manufacturing company thats making these. I am still waiting to find out when the first run will be complete and when they will ship. I guarntee as soon as I find out anything new I will post here first whithin mere moments of getting an email from the supplier so no need for the continuous questions and emails as to when its gonna be ready. Thanks.[:d]

Gibbs
05-27-2008, 03:14 PM
Sorry guys I still don't know, I am at the mercy of the Chinese manufacturing company thats making these. I am still waiting to find out when the first run will be complete and when they will ship. I guarntee as soon as I find out anything new I will post here first whithin mere moments of getting an email from the supplier so no need for the continuous questions and emails as to when its gonna be ready. Thanks.[:d]

cheers macgyver681 (http://audizine.com/forum/member.php?u=19246) [wrench][wrench]

mrtorino
05-27-2008, 04:40 PM
I would have to disagree with you there...I think mine is the worst[;)] After all I looked all over the world just to get it fixed. [headbang] [>_<]
I know the A6 has this problem as well.
My GF has this problem in her 01 A6. After researching that led me here I seen some other people with the issue.

macgyver681
05-28-2008, 09:59 AM
I know the A6 has this problem as well.
My GF has this problem in her 01 A6. After researching that led me here I seen some other people with the issue.

I have heard some people have the same problem in the A6, no one has been able to confirm yet that its definately the same cluster or screen though. You would either have to find out if either:
1)Cluster is the same vag part number in the A4 & A6
or
2)Pull the cluster out of the A6 and look at the actual screen to see what the part number is (A4 is D1560T0B on the ribbon cable).

Poopie
05-28-2008, 10:30 AM
all the pixels work in the morning or if i park in a garage. if it sits in the direct sunlight for a few hours the pixels fade. is this a display issue?

macgyver681
05-28-2008, 11:03 AM
Hmm, I guess it could be, the problem seems to manifest itself differently in different cars. Any one else have this same symptom?
Personnally for me it doesn't matter the temp, sun or shade I can't read the display anytime, about half the lines are out. I can barely tell if the low gas icon is up or if I need washer fluid. [;)]

audinutt
05-28-2008, 11:55 AM
I have my cluster at a reputable module repair shop he is using me as a guinea pig so i will see what happens.

-richard

psuaudi
05-28-2008, 12:34 PM
that is exactly the same problem I have.

Macgyver681, is the heat issue something that you've seen as well in these screens, or do you think it's mainly related to B6 A4 screens?

zrowcool
05-28-2008, 12:40 PM
mine is about as bad as mcguyver's. i cant see it since the line are mostly missing and i have to check what it is if its actually beeping. I will say though that more lines appear when its cold and they dissapear when its hot. Still unreadable regardless of temp though

macgyver681
05-28-2008, 01:31 PM
Yeah that seems to be the concensus among the people I have heard from. The screens or rather the ribbon cable seems to be affected by changes in temperature, hot->cold and cold->hot which will make some pixels fade. If no pixels are missing but rather the whole thing is darkening uniformly than you are looking at a different problem. This is what mine looks like for reference.
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj138/macgyver681/19e271c8-1.jpg
Pixels are still bright, at least those that still work [:/]

macgyver681
06-24-2008, 02:38 PM
I am hearing whispers of an early July delivery for these panels from the Chinese!!! I am really hoping they come through on their own deadline this time. I am not 100% sure it will happen, heck I'm not 50% sure it will happen but I am hoping.

Maybe I'll even have them before Waterfest and I can bring some with me if anyone wants to buy one there or just see them with their own eyes. Won't be soldering them in on the spot of course thats up to the do-it-yourselfers. [;)]

audinutt
06-24-2008, 04:42 PM
Good deal, looks like another module rebuilder is waiting on the same parts too.
So I will let you know how that pans out, He's ordering a couple hundred.

-richard

macgyver681
06-24-2008, 07:06 PM
Good deal, looks like another module rebuilder is waiting on the same parts too.
So I will let you know how that pans out, He's ordering a couple hundred.

-richard

Yeah? Thats cool, who is it, I would be interested to talk to them? Do you have a website or email? Let me know.

audiness
06-24-2008, 08:33 PM
can't wait !

was looking at my display today, wondering how the chinese are coming along :)

tmaslar
06-25-2008, 09:41 AM
Audinutt,

Who is the other rebuilder. Do you have contact info for him?

audinutt
06-25-2008, 10:11 AM
One he gets the parts in I will let everyone know.

-richard

CycloSteve
06-28-2008, 07:14 AM
FYI, found this on eBay today...looks like another person is planning on having either a kit for DIY repairs, or you can send them the cluster...also looks like they are awaiting the parts to come from overseas...ha ha.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Audi-A4-A6-Instrument-Cluster-Repair_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33675QQihZ018QQi temZ280239512552QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Go about half-way down the post to find the LCD repair reference.

Now if I can only get them to install my chrome rings at the same time!

Cheers, Steve

audiness
06-28-2008, 08:26 AM
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj138/macgyver681/19e271c8-1.jpg
Pixels are still bright, at least those that still work [:/]

thats exactly what mine looks like.

BernieBenz
06-28-2008, 10:09 AM
Yes, interested for my ’02 A6

macgyver681
06-28-2008, 03:01 PM
[:p]
FYI, found this on eBay today...looks like another person is planning on having either a kit for DIY repairs, or you can send them the cluster...also looks like they are awaiting the parts to come from overseas...ha ha.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Audi-A4-A6-Instrument-Cluster-Repair_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33675QQihZ018QQi temZ280239512552QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Go about half-way down the post to find the LCD repair reference.

Now if I can only get them to install my chrome rings at the same time!

Cheers, Steve

Yeah looks like they are probably waiting on the same company as me. Man I get an idea and everybody jumps on the bandwagon [;)][:p]

Hey, more power to them, like I've always said I am just in it for the first 25 then its up to everyone else to keep it going. By the way, if people stick with what they said the 25 spots are long filled but I will keep ordering more and re-selling them and I can be pretty sure it will be cheaper than any rebuilder. I will resell them pretty much at cost. Want people to be able to see their gas warning lights again, don't know how many times i have forgot and run out of gas because of it. [:d]

Calabria
06-30-2008, 02:23 AM
So my instrument cluster totally went out after being in the body shop for the day...what should i do? Nothing needed to be replaced on the inside, only door/bumper...yet it only works when the door is open. Its now a blank screen...

macgyver681
06-30-2008, 03:13 AM
So my instrument cluster totally went out after being in the body shop for the day...what should i do? Nothing needed to be replaced on the inside, only door/bumper...yet it only works when the door is open. Its now a blank screen...

I assume you tryed pushing the little on/off button on the underside of the stalk that has the toggle switch for the display? Otherwise, this isn't the thread for anything to do with that. Just for missing lines.

Calabria
06-30-2008, 03:20 AM
On/off button on the underside of the stalk? What now...my screen did have missing/fading pixels BTW...

macgyver681
06-30-2008, 04:37 AM
On/off button on the underside of the stalk? What now...my screen did have missing/fading pixels BTW...

Did you see if your screen was just turned off? There is a button on the underside of the stalk that has the windshield wiper controls on it that turns the screen on and off or resets the MPG or trip time when you hold it. You said your screen turned off but only works when the doors are open, I would guess you mean the door ajar indicator? You can search the forum for this, alot of people never even notice the button.

As for the missing pixels, this is the right place for that.[:d]

tmaslar
07-01-2008, 09:50 PM
macgyver681,

What kind of soldering/desoldering setup do you need to successfully remove/install one of these displays? I have lots of soldering experience, but never did a cable like this before. The solder pads look quite closely spaced.

Have you successfully replaced one yet?

Poopie
07-29-2008, 08:31 AM
anything new?

macgyver681
07-29-2008, 11:11 AM
I have very exciting news!!!

The LCDs are finally done and ready to be shipped from China!![o_o]

It will probably take at least a week for them to get here but there is finally some progress in this whole endeavor. It could be ready to go in August finally.[race][:D]

I will post again when they get here and probably put some pics up.
Although I am sure this will start a new wave of questions. I don't have pricing yet. That will be determined after I get them in.

Nebone
07-29-2008, 11:59 AM
Great. Get them in, test them, make a DIY and people will be all over this.

audisnapr
07-29-2008, 01:05 PM
please don't forget those of us on the "list" from way back when [;)]

zrowcool
07-29-2008, 02:27 PM

Indeed... Let me know when your ready to have customers come to your place to have them installed.

macgyver681
08-02-2008, 10:10 AM

Don't worry you are all still on the list in line. Have every email and when I got it so I know who will have first dibs and who gets the last one. [up]

njm23
08-02-2008, 10:19 AM
nice, I really hope this works.

alen
08-02-2008, 03:50 PM
dunno if I ever posted, but I am definitely interested as I've been annoyed by mine for about 3-4 years now. palen2k@hotmail.com if needed.
do you even have a broad range of pricing for this? $40, 80, 120, 200? Just a ballpark?

macgyver681
08-03-2008, 09:44 AM
Just to clarify, posting in this forum won't get you in line for a LCD screen. To get on the list send an email to the address in my signature. This way I have a comprehensive running tally of people and when they requested to be included.

SO IF YOU WANT TO BE INCLUDED, SEND AN EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS BELOW. IF YOU ALREADY HAVE, DON'T WORRY YOU ARE STILL ON THE LIST.

And again as for final pricing I will let you all know when I do. Like I always have said I will keep it as cheap as possible. Definately sub $200 range.
It will just be materials + time to install = Total.

macgyver681
08-08-2008, 04:22 PM
BIG NEWS!!

The panels arrived!! Oh happy day. I Opened them up and they look great. Now I just have to find time to actually pull my cluster and try one out. Real busy with work this coming week though but I will try to fit it in.[:/]

If there is anyone who has a spare cluster that wants it fixed that could be without one for a week or two let me know. It would get you to the top of the list.[;)]

For everyone who is going to ask this and has been despite my past posts, I will figure out pricing after I figure out how long the repair takes to do.

sixfiveoh
08-08-2008, 04:54 PM
I would send you mine, but don't think I could deal without one for a week [:p]

Looking forward to results!

macgyver681
08-20-2008, 06:30 PM
[:D]EVEN BIGGER NEWS[:D]

Just finished soldering the first LCD panel into an instrument cluster, and it seems like it went well. Need some help/answers from the community though for testing it.[confused]

I need to know if I could plug this cluster into my car to test if the LCD looks good. Don't know the implications/ramifications of this. I know I heard something about immobilizer stuff tied to the cluster but I am not sure if that applies to B5s or only B6s. Don't really care if it "works" as in the speedo and tach, mileage and clock just want to know if I plug this in will the DIS light up and display something. And if I then replaced my own cluster that it also would function properly.[:/]

Does anyone have any experience with switching clusters? Please I need real experience not just that "I read on some other forum that its ok..."

And if anyone flames me or says I should search the forums, they can be sure I will never fix their LCD. I have done enough work, its your guys turn to help.[;)]

Thanks to my friend Steve from the north living in "America's Hat"(Canada) and also Aaron for their loaner clusters for testing.

audiness
08-20-2008, 07:36 PM
From what I heard you can switch clusters, but you can only re-set the mileage ONCE. So you should be able to plug another cluster in , and at least test it , you may get some error messages... but what better way to test teh LCD.

P.s..... I am on the list !!!!! I can't wait!

audimeister
08-20-2008, 07:39 PM
Haven't done this, but it may help direct some searches.

Switching clusters on S4 throws a code for mileage not matching what's in the ecu. Can be fixed with VAG COM. Will search for the old instructions on how.

Pretty sure A4 should be the same.

I think I'm on the list. I sent the email, but never heard back.

TQMB5
08-20-2008, 07:44 PM
you dont need to worry about it, our cars dont have immobilizers.. it wont hurt nothing to take it out and put it back in

sixfiveoh
08-20-2008, 07:50 PM
OOOOOH This is getting exciting! [:D]

hoganalley
08-20-2008, 08:06 PM
you're good to go as long as you don't drive it. I don't think you need to drive the car to test it anyways....I guess it could help, but you're only testing the quality of the screen, not whether it's functional. If you soldered corrrectly, it should still be functional.

macgyver681
08-20-2008, 08:24 PM
Alright that sounds good so far, the only thing I am wondering about is the pre- and post- facelift changes to the Instrument clusters. I have a 2000 so I am post- the cluster I did the test install on looks like a pre-facelift, it has an analog clock rather than the digital like mine. Wonder if the plugs will even be the same/fit. Also this cluster is from Canada so its in km/h, but I guess that shouldn't really matter since I am not gonna use it.

Does any one know or have pics of the back of the pre- and post-facelift clusters to see the differences? I tried looking in my Bentley manual at wiring diagrams but the germans are crazy, I can't get much out of them other than it seems to be 32 pin plugs.

Anyone ever try putting say a 98 cluster with DIS screen in a 2000? Does it plug in? I am really just worried about when I re-connect my own cluster that it will still work.

I am going to bed but I will check back in the am. Thanks guys.

cparke
08-20-2008, 08:51 PM
Record the coding, all adaptation values, and odometer mileage before removing the existing cluster. Check for fault codes too, just in case... When you install the new cluster, you should at least code it. I'd then do the output diagnostic test to check that all the dials and displays are working.

I don't think any A4 B5's have an immobilizer, just an anti-theft system in the central locking pump and an interior monitor. If your car does have this, you should be able to get the VIN and its 14-digit immobilizer number from measuring block 81 in the instrument cluster. You also would be able to access the control module for the immobilizer. Changing instrument clusters if you have an immobilizer is complicated because you need to also get a PIN from the dealer (good only for 1 day) to unlock the immobilizer after a new cluster is installed, and you need to do key adaptation after installing the new cluster.

There is indeed a different cluster design for model year 2000 and newer. There also are different part #'s for U.S. and Canada, and a further change in design within VIN's. I'd definitely to visually compare the circuitry on back of the two clusters side by side before taking a chance plugging it in, as well as have someone thoroughly examine the wiring diagrams for the two parts to see if all the pins match up to the same functionality correctly. What is the model, year and VIN of your car, and what is the part # of the cluster you want to try plugging into it?

cparke
08-20-2008, 09:16 PM
The technical bulletin acknowledging fading instrument cluster displays for 1998-1999 model year A4,A6's found in the Bentley manual:

90-05-05 Instrument Cluster, Driver's Information Display Fades (Oct. 4, 2005)

Says the software version D18 or higher is needed in the replacement cluster (software version is shown on the cluster's sticker or can be retrieved using VCDS).

They didn't include model years 2000-2001 in the bulletin (though I thought we heard of display fades on 2000's too). However, it sounds like software is backwards compatible. So, another thing to check is the software version on your cluster and whether the software version on the replacement is at least equal to it. Doesn't sound likely you should try this cluster on a 2000, probably safer to sell it on ebay or something and see if the buyer is happy with it or not.

OL1982
08-21-2008, 12:16 AM
I have fixed a few of my friends clusters (not pixel related) but I used their own car to test them and on one I used 3 or 4 wires with pins attached to a 12v power supply because it was mailed to me and I had read somewhere that it was not advisable to plug it into a different vehicle for the same reasons previously mentioned by others.

CycloSteve
08-21-2008, 02:23 AM
Anyone ever try putting say a 98 cluster with DIS screen in a 2000? Does it plug in? I am really just worried about when I re-connect my own cluster that it will still work.

IIRC Pre-facelift clusters have two plugs on the rear, and facelift models have three. Definitely cannot swap or cross-test the two.

As noted by a few earlier posts, I believe that you should be quite OK "testing" the cluster on the same generation of B5, just do a normal power-up and don't start or drive with it (to be on the safe side of err). Running the "cluster button diagnostic" check with the DIS should show if any pixels or other parts of the reman are OK or not.

Also, I remember that there is an instrument cluster test somewhere in VAG-COM, where all of the pixels will light up at once...tested this on my 96.

Great to hear that this is moving along! [:D]

macgyver681
08-21-2008, 04:33 AM
I have fixed a few of my friends clusters (not pixel related) but I used their own car to test them and on one I used 3 or 4 wires with pins attached to a 12v power supply because it was mailed to me and I had read somewhere that it was not advisable to plug it into a different vehicle for the same reasons previously mentioned by others.

That is what I was thinking of doing, just testing it by putting 12V power to it, but i can't make out anything from those wiring diagrams, they aren't like any I've seen before. Do you happen to know what pins or wires you connected or how you found them?
Did you just test the wires in the car and figure out which ones were power and ground?
Did the DIS LCD turn on with just 12V power applied to the cluster?
Did it work after it was re-installed?

hoganalley
08-21-2008, 06:59 AM
I may be wrong here, but since you're only testing the pixels on the cluster, if you plug in what you can plug in, then it should show you enough basic info to find out if the screen works. In the end it's all you really care about. I know you can swap a 2000 cluster into a previous version A4, your clock just won't work, but I don't see why you wouldn't be able to plug in the old cluster just to check the display.

hoganalley
08-21-2008, 07:10 AM
From what I can gather from the wiring diagram from Bentley is as long as the Green/Blue connectors are attached, you should read what you need to see. I don't have proof yet, but I always thought the 3rd connector on the 2000 clusters was just for the digital clock.

The wiring diagrams only show the Green/Blue connectors as carrying the necessary info. I think you'd be fine.

macgyver681
08-21-2008, 08:14 AM
From what I can gather from the wiring diagram from Bentley is as long as the Green/Blue connectors are attached, you should read what you need to see. I don't have proof yet, but I always thought the 3rd connector on the 2000 clusters was just for the digital clock.

The wiring diagrams only show the Green/Blue connectors as carrying the necessary info. I think you'd be fine.

Sounds convincing enough for me I will give it a try later or tommorrow. Thanks guys.

JUST NOTICED, THIS THREAD IS THE MOST READ THREAD IN THE B5 A4 FORUM. WOOT!

macgyver681
08-21-2008, 09:48 AM
Well here is what you have all been waitng for.

The pricing:

For the repair service(part + installation) -- $165 + Shipping(See below)

For the LCD panel (part alone + your skills) -- $95 Priority Shipping Included

Suggested Shipping options:
Fastest way at a reasonable cost: USPS Express Mail $32 each way($64 total) Next day delivery coast to coast to most areas(Suggested)

Quick way at a lower cost: USPS Priority Mail $14 each way($28 Total) 2-3 Days to most areas

Cheap Way if you don't care how long it takes: Ground(UPS, FedEx, DHL, USPS ~$7-10 each way($14-$20 Total)

(These are estimates based on NJ->CA)
International orders will incur additional shipping charges.
Shipping will be pre-paid by you. Send cluster with return label or include $$ for return shipment in your payment.

My turn around time will be same day, so if you sent it Express on monday, I got it Tuesday, fixed and sent it out, you would have it on Wednesday. You can do the math on the other options. Of course if you prefer to spend more money on some other carrier's overnight(DHL, FedEx, UPS) you are welcome to.

Scheduleing
This will be working on invitation only basis, based on the order of people on the email list. If you aren't already on it send an email to the address below to be added. If you have already sent an email over the last few months, don't worry your spot in line is safe. No need to send another.

I will schedule appointments with people via email so keep an eye open. I will start sending scheduleing next week after I have had a chance to test and verify everything and will post pictures for the skeptics.

Payment
Payments will be accepted via PayPal so if you don't have it, get it. Money orders in the box with the cluster will be acceptable also. No checks.

DIY
I will eventually put together a DIY for this, but it will not be for everyone. It will require advanced soldering skills and some pricey equipment. FYI I use a SMD hot air rework/soldering station with ceramic temperature controlled iron 3 different tips, magnifying glasses and experience. If you don't have all of that it will be difficult if not impossible. Not trying to discourage DIYers, I'm one of you, just want you to know what you would be getting into. You can easily destroy the panel quick if you don't know what you are doing.

Priority will be given to installations. After that I will sell the remaining LCDs for DIY installation and order more if they are still wanted.

Those in North NJ area that want to come by and get it done on the spot are welcome too, but bring a friend with a car, I don't want someone looking over my shoulder while I am soldering this thing in, its just plain annoying. ;) Take a ride while I fix it and come back when its done.

These are aftermarket screens made by Sacer in China. The originals were made by Epson. They have a 1yr warranty on the part from the manufacturer. If you install it yourself and don't do it right, I doubt if they will honor that warranty. Like most things this is a caveat emptor type proposition. I am not a business.

ewuzh
08-21-2008, 09:55 AM
Does this repair work on B5 S4 clusters too?

macgyver681
08-21-2008, 09:58 AM
Does this repair work on B5 S4 clusters too?

As far as I know it covers:
Audi A4,S4 (B5) 1995-2001
Audi A6 (C5) 1997-2004
Audi TT 1998-2006
VW Sharan 2000-2008

Nebone
08-21-2008, 10:31 AM
~$200 is a descent price. I'm sure you will get lots of business from this including me.

sixfiveoh
08-21-2008, 10:50 AM
This is great. Any chance you could throw up any pics of the working prototype you worked on?

macgyver681
08-21-2008, 11:07 AM
This is great. Any chance you could throw up any pics of the working prototype you worked on?

This is all I have for now, took them just after I installed the panel in this cluster yesterday.

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj138/macgyver681/AudiA4LCD.jpg
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj138/macgyver681/AudiA4LCD_00.jpg
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj138/macgyver681/AudiA4LCD_01.jpg
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj138/macgyver681/AudiA4LCD_02.jpg
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj138/macgyver681/AudiA4LCD_03.jpg
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj138/macgyver681/AudiA4LCD_04.jpg

ewuzh
08-21-2008, 01:38 PM
Maybe this has been answered already, but are these "updated" screens? In other words, will these fail again in 60K~100K miles just like our original ones?

macgyver681
08-21-2008, 01:47 PM
Maybe this has been answered already, but are these "updated" screens? In other words, will these fail again in 60K~100K miles just like our original ones?

Please read threads before you post a question. If you have to start your question with "maybe this has already been answered" then it probably has and you need to do your homework and READ.

Nebone
08-21-2008, 01:51 PM
Maybe you can update post 190 to mention warranty and longetivity of this product. Some people don't have time or patience to read 7 pages about this which can be summarizied in a paragraph. Its your product so explain it in detail in one post.

macgyver681
08-21-2008, 02:40 PM
Maybe you can update post 190 to mention warranty and longetivity of this product. Some people don't have time or patience to read 7 pages about this which can be summarizied in a paragraph. Its your product so explain it in detail in one post.

Fair enough, although this is not my product, if you had read all these pages you would see I am doing this at virtually no profit other than getting paid for my install time. If this was a product it would be $250 to install and no option to buy the parts or I would mark them up 20% for a profit.
All the hours I have already invested in this is for my own fix and helping out the community to get it fixed. I'm sure the people who have been keeping up with this and have taken the many minutes out of their busy schedule to read all 7 pages of this appreciate that a little more.
Its sad that in our society today people complain about reading 7 pages. Whats next 10 page novels? lol No wonder illiteracy is on a rise. No one can read 7 pages. [:(] so sad.

But for the super-busy very important people out there that have trouble reading anything longer than an email. I will update the post. Thanks.
Sorry but I am really sarcastic.[;)]

Poopie
08-21-2008, 05:04 PM
looks awesome. Mine is in the mail. It seems like the ribbons are failing where they bend and tuck under. Anyway around this?

Nebone
08-21-2008, 08:52 PM
This is why slider phones break often; the ribbon fails.

i-dar
08-21-2008, 08:53 PM
Hi, if I received a message from you this morning - does it mean I am on the list?

cparke
08-21-2008, 09:25 PM
looks awesome. Mine is in the mail. It seems like the ribbons are failing where they bend and tuck under. Anyway around this?
I don't suppose anyone has tried tucking them under a different way? Unlike slider & flip phones, where the ribbon is always under moving tension, the instrument cluster display's ribbon is stationary once installed.

DxC
08-21-2008, 11:49 PM
hey macguyver, i have the screens too :) you really are helping people out at this price point. wow

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w236/leftychang/lcdz.jpg

biketsai
08-22-2008, 12:22 AM
you are the man!

macgyver681
08-22-2008, 04:43 AM
Hi, if I received a message from you this morning - does it mean I am on the list?

Yup, I sent that email to everyone who sent me an email over the last few months as an update to the progress of this just in case they don't check this thread. There are a lot of people in line and all will have their chance...eventually.

For Everyone:
Don't worry about if you don't have time this week or next this will be going on for months. I can only do a few a week so its not going to be a big rush. I have a full time job too and run my own business that makes me money, this is just for fun and to cover my expenses.

cparke
08-22-2008, 05:17 AM
hey macguyver, i have the screens too :) you really are helping people out at this price point. wow
Yeah? Glad you stepped up and identified yourself, because macguyver has a very limited supply and capacity. What is your price point?

DxC
08-22-2008, 06:30 AM
hey cparke, macguyver is not kidding when he says he is helping out the community.

i am pretty much the exact as him, with a day job etc. i dont even know if i can match his price point, he is making absolutely no profit, and getting paid only a little bit for his labor.

macguyver, "i hate you, but damnit, i respect you" /anchorman

cparke
08-22-2008, 08:16 AM
hey cparke, macguyver is not kidding when he says he is helping out the community.

i am pretty much the exact as him, with a day job etc. i dont even know if i can match his price point, he is making absolutely no profit, and getting paid only a little bit for his labor.

macguyver, "i hate you, but damnit, i respect you" /anchorman
I know Greg is doing a tremendous good deed, and I am certainly very thankful for that. However, you stepped into the limelight as an alternative provider. I wasn't asking you to match his price point, rather I was pointing out that Greg may have trouble handling the demand himself, and it may be good to know more about what your offerring is.

This Is Epic
08-22-2008, 08:33 AM
Great stuff, glad to see this didn't just die off and get buried in the archives.

Great job Macgyver.

Nebone
08-22-2008, 08:46 AM
If that screan was orginally designed to display a CEL or something important, this would certainly be a recall; all it displays is useless stuff.

Revolution02
08-22-2008, 08:56 AM
Do you think you could post a list of the people who are on the list so that we can make sure that we are on the list and to let us know when our turn is comming up so we can prepar?

offroader1006
08-22-2008, 01:36 PM
2nd, i think i already emailed you at the start, can't remember.

Siena
08-22-2008, 02:48 PM
You guys are Top Boss! [up]

Definitely a valuable service to the Audi / VW community. [cool]

cparke
08-22-2008, 02:52 PM
You guys are Top Boss! [up]

Definitely a valuable service to the Audi / VW community. [cool]

I'm hoping to come out with a cruise control module electronics fix soon too. Audi sure doesn't put quality parts in their cars!

macgyver681
08-22-2008, 09:55 PM
Do you think you could post a list of the people who are on the list so that we can make sure that we are on the list and to let us know when our turn is comming up so we can prepar?

Well, the email I sent out yesterday was to every email address I have on file so far, I can post the To: line from that email so you guys can check if you are in it. Although you should have gotten it already. Don't have a list in order thats postable, basically goes by the date of your first email to me.

****DELETED LIST****

xraycer2012
08-23-2008, 06:51 AM
Just sent you an email [:D]. This is truly an awesome thing your doing for everyone.

macgyver681
08-26-2008, 11:08 AM
Here are the pictures of the Canadian cluster and mine which I fixed yesterday working. Plugged it into my car no problem. I have some 2k Ohm pots on order to adjust the contrast, its a little too brite for my taste at the moment.

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj138/macgyver681/ClaridgeHouseApt_143.jpg
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj138/macgyver681/ClaridgeHouseApt_140.jpg
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj138/macgyver681/ClaridgeHouseApt_150.jpg
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj138/macgyver681/ClaridgeHouseApt_151.jpg

hoganalley
08-26-2008, 11:47 AM
this rocks! Glad I could help out with the test cluster. How long does it take to do the swap?

And yeah, that's just a little bit too bright......

zrowcool
08-26-2008, 12:13 PM
i'm alreayd on the list... i'll be emailing you within the next couple weeks so i can drive down there and git er done. i'll bring beer if you drink.

njm23
08-26-2008, 12:30 PM
Hey, I e-mailed you back but you sent me one saying you havent received anything form me yet (njsurf054) LMK cause I can come up asap to get this done. Im in central jersey.

macgyver681
08-26-2008, 01:11 PM
Hey, I e-mailed you back but you sent me one saying you havent received anything form me yet (njsurf054) LMK cause I can come up asap to get this done. Im in central jersey.

I emailed you back at 2:03pm today. Like I said you are at the top of the list, it can be as soon as tommorow.

Unless you mean the automated response that says "Thanks for your interest...blah blah blah" that goes out everytime I get an email.

macgyver681
08-26-2008, 01:19 PM
i'm alreayd on the list... i'll be emailing you within the next couple weeks so i can drive down there and git er done. i'll bring beer if you drink.

Haha thanks, don't know if you want me drinking while I'm doing very precise soldering but I appreciate the thought.

B5Burn
08-26-2008, 02:47 PM
macgyver681: are you doing this as a one time thing? I only have a few weeks of driving time left this summer (my car is a summer ride only).... my display is prrrretty good, but fades in the heat, no pox yet...

ANYWAY, I would like to get this done over the winter months, how can we coordinate that? Whatever works for you, pls let me know. I can send it and then there would be no rush, unless for some reason it took you until next April to complete, hahaha.

Bill.

zrowcool
08-26-2008, 02:55 PM
hey i'm all for a little "relaxer". Maybe after its done so that way you're sober for all the work that needs you attention to detail. After that all bets are off. lol

macgyver681
08-26-2008, 09:34 PM
macgyver681: are you doing this as a one time thing? I only have a few weeks of driving time left this summer (my car is a summer ride only).... my display is prrrretty good, but fades in the heat, no pox yet...

ANYWAY, I would like to get this done over the winter months, how can we coordinate that? Whatever works for you, pls let me know. I can send it and then there would be no rush, unless for some reason it took you until next April to complete, hahaha.

Bill.

If you have previously emailed me and you are on the list already than anythings possible. Initially I am planning on only doing the first 25 but we will see how it goes after that. If you aren't yet on the list, it may be a while, that thing is getting looooooong and I am only one man with one arm. Well plus the left one which makes 2 but that one is pretty useless when I am soldering.

njm23
08-26-2008, 09:44 PM
^^ahha. Alright, yeah i'll e-mail you back and set something up. I am only worried about not being able to drive for work, so I was thinking I could either come up there, leave you the car and get outta your hair for however long you need or try and set it up to go out like friday and have me get it back monday or tues. Whatever works better for you, be emailing you shortly.

B5Burn
08-27-2008, 03:57 PM
If you have previously emailed me and you are on the list already than anythings possible. Initially I am planning on only doing the first 25 but we will see how it goes after that. If you aren't yet on the list, it may be a while, that thing is getting looooooong and I am only one man with one arm. Well plus the left one which makes 2 but that one is pretty useless when I am soldering.

Done. I don't want to get it done RIGHT AWAY anyway, so whatever works with your schedule is gold.

My cluster works right now... but hey, why not update if I KNOW it's going to go eventually! haha.

Thanks,
Bill.

njm23
08-27-2008, 05:27 PM
^^^
ahha, I like your thinking man. Most people would say fuck it and wait till it takes a shit and then be screwed cause macgyver won't be doing this anymore.

B8_Jim
08-27-2008, 07:15 PM
macgyver681: So I'm on the list, got your announcement E-mail but have no idea where I am on the list relative to the top.

What I remember, and see from a quick scan of this thread, is that you ordered 25 panels initially. (?) I've got a friend who can very likely do the solder (If I buy him a pizza :-) so would be interested in just the screen (DIY writeup would definately help).

First -- Kudos for doing this.
Second -- Can you tell me where I am on the list. Maybe an E-mail to only those who are in the top 25 would help -- then again maybe you already did this and I'm not on it... :-(

Third -- if the answer to #2 is that I'm not in the first 25, will you be ordering more panels, even if it is only for DIY?

Thanks,

Jim

DND
08-27-2008, 07:32 PM
Hey Macgyver, I know I'm on the list since I got your email; I'm fairly flexible on when you want me to send the console as I bought a used spare to swap out with for the intervening time. Just say the word and I'll swap them and send the one needing screen replacement to you.
I am curious if there is a way to make the odometers match before and after so I don't put a few extra miles on that don't get "counted" while the original is out of the car?
Thank-you again for doing this. :)

P.S. Once my original is fixed I'll be happy to sell the spare cluster for what I paid for it to anyone else who wants to do the same thing and/or who just wants it.

macgyver681
08-28-2008, 07:19 AM
macgyver681: So I'm on the list, got your announcement E-mail but have no idea where I am on the list relative to the top.

What I remember, and see from a quick scan of this thread, is that you ordered 25 panels initially. (?) I've got a friend who can very likely do the solder (If I buy him a pizza :-) so would be interested in just the screen (DIY writeup would definately help).

First -- Kudos for doing this.
Second -- Can you tell me where I am on the list. Maybe an E-mail to only those who are in the top 25 would help -- then again maybe you already did this and I'm not on it... :-(

Third -- if the answer to #2 is that I'm not in the first 25, will you be ordering more panels, even if it is only for DIY?

Thanks,

Jim

2) Sorry, its not that easy, the list is of people who want the repair and the cluster. Repair people get priority. Can't figure out where you are cause I don't know who is going to want what till they decide. I am sending out emails to people in groups of 5 from the first people on the list(waiting since January) to the present. For instance, from the first 5 only 2 replied and only 1 is getting it done so far. So even if you are currently #50 doesn't mean you won't get a chance at the first 25 panels.

3) Yes I will be ordering more panels based on demand for them or if you can't wait there was another guy that posted in this thread earlier that has some to sell but at a higher price.

Hey Macgyver, I know I'm on the list since I got your email; I'm fairly flexible on when you want me to send the console as I bought a used spare to swap out with for the intervening time. Just say the word and I'll swap them and send the one needing screen replacement to you.
I am curious if there is a way to make the odometers match before and after so I don't put a few extra miles on that don't get "counted" while the original is out of the car?
Thank-you again for doing this. :)

P.S. Once my original is fixed I'll be happy to sell the spare cluster for what I paid for it to anyone else who wants to do the same thing and/or who just wants it.

No way to adjust the miles, but does that really matter?

m5racer
08-28-2008, 08:25 AM
looks great but your right it is a little too bright.

B8_Jim
08-28-2008, 08:26 AM
2) Sorry, its not that easy, the list is of people who want the repair and the cluster. Repair people get priority. <snip>

OK, Understand, and Thanks. I'm still interested either way.

macgyver681
08-28-2008, 08:29 AM
looks great but your right it is a little too bright.

Brightness has been fixed with a 2 K ohm Pot installed to control the contrast. Looks pretty good now.

sixfiveoh
08-28-2008, 10:53 PM
So... I forget if our cars immobilize with the cluster removed? Would I be able to send mine out and drive it clusterless for a few days till I get it back or would the car have to be down for a while?

macgyver681
08-29-2008, 06:17 AM
So... I forget if our cars immobilize with the cluster removed? Would I be able to send mine out and drive it clusterless for a few days till I get it back or would the car have to be down for a while?

Don't know, never tried it. You can take out your cluster and see if the car starts I guess. Takes all of 2 mins and 4 screws to remove the cluster.

Anyone else know anything about this? Mechanically the car should drive without it, although not particularly safe with out a speedometer?

DND
08-29-2008, 07:10 AM
You can take out your cluster and see if the car starts I guess. Takes all of 2 mins and 4 screws to remove the cluster.

For all the novices out there like me has anyone got a link to some instructions on how to take it out that efficiently?

macgyver681
08-29-2008, 08:16 AM
For all the novices out there like me has anyone got a link to some instructions on how to take it out that efficiently?

I will eventually show how in a DIY when I put that together in a few months. But basically:

1) Remove 2 Philips head screws on the bottom of the steering column:
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj138/macgyver681/ClaridgeHouseApt_141.jpg

2) Remove bezel over steering column between it and the cluster by pulling it from the top towards you. It flips down. (Shown already removed, Imagine it and your cluster were still here)
3) Remove plastic cover on top of steering column. Should just lift right off
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj138/macgyver681/ClaridgeHouseApt_142.jpg

4) Remove 2 Torx screws under the cluster.
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj138/macgyver681/ClaridgeHouseApt_133.jpg

5) Pull cluster out and disconnect 3 Cables behind it by lifting latch on plug and pulling plug out. Your done, remove it carefully so as not to scratch stuff.
http://homepage.mac.com/bonthron/webfiles/images/bgwup/img1384.jpg

TomH
08-29-2008, 08:38 AM
DxC-

I'd be interested in finding out more information about your stock of replacement LCD modules.

1. Do you have stock to sell?
2. If so, what might one cost?
3. How should we contact you for purchase, and what form of payment do you require?

Greg's post are inspiring, and I am on his list. But, I am interested in replacing this myself; I've ample electronic rework experience. Although I will patiently wait the months it may take for Greg to satisfy all those seeking to have him do the repair for the chance that he may still have some stock left to sell, getting a module as soon as I can would be great.

Thanks for any information you may have regarding this.

sixfiveoh
08-29-2008, 08:46 AM
Any order we're supposed to be in for this fix? I am on the email list, if I simply mailed my cluster out to you whenever would that be fine?

Poopie
08-29-2008, 09:16 AM
Fedex says the package is sitting on your door step finally =). That package went through hell. hahaha

macgyver681
08-29-2008, 02:14 PM
Any order we're supposed to be in for this fix? I am on the email list, if I simply mailed my cluster out to you whenever would that be fine?

Yes there is an order. No that wouldn't be fine. Plus you don't know my address ;-).

I am contacting people via email when its their turn. Give it time.

macgyver681
08-29-2008, 02:15 PM
Fedex says the package is sitting on your door step finally =). That package went through hell. hahaha

Yup, got it, strange cluster though, nothing displays at all on the LCD. Was it always like that? Not even one pixel.

Poopie
08-29-2008, 02:19 PM
I told you how the ribbon was ripped at the solder joint when I was fooling around with the display. It was working before that though. When you pull it apart you will see the tear.

macgyver681
08-29-2008, 02:58 PM
I told you how the ribbon was ripped at the solder joint when I was fooling around with the display. It was working before that though. When you pull it apart you will see the tear.

Oh ok, totally forgot that, its been a while since you sent it [;)]

psuaudi
09-04-2008, 05:44 PM
Hey everyone, I'm not sure if anyone has looked into this or not yet, but that screen looks to be the same as the one that is installed on B6 A4's as well as the B5 A4. Can anyone confirm?

The pixel count and coloring looks the same, and my 2002 B6 A4 display is flickering in hot weather as well, which I think is related to the same issue that causes blanked out lines.

One advantage that I think the B6 A4's would have is that the screen dims with the dash lighting :D

audimeister
09-10-2008, 05:43 AM
Bump. I got a confirmation email some time ago that I was on the list, but haven't heard anything.

Any updates on progress for the list?

macgyver681
09-10-2008, 03:12 PM
Bump. I got a confirmation email some time ago that I was on the list, but haven't heard anything.

Any updates on progress for the list?

No progress yet, sorry. Still waiting on some details to be ironed out.

cparke
09-12-2008, 10:28 AM
BTW - Greg - have you considered if a data cable socket can be soldered onto the board and then the display cable plugged into the socket, or if the cable must be directly soldered onto the board like stupid Audi did?

That might make the DIY installation process much simpler, including making it possible for some of to get an electronics repair shop to do the soldering even before the displays are ordered.