PDA

View Full Version : b5 ownership woes (cars in for TB right now) R/P part number please???

burner799
01-16-2008, 08:34 PM
So my cars TB (with ecs ultimate kit) is being done right now.

all great fun but, heres the rest:

both outer cv boots are toast (have 1 gotta order another)

steering rack is leaking and tie rods have some play:

here's where I need some insight. How many hours of work is the steering rack usually? How long do you think I can gradually add fluid until it totally fails on me? I searched and found where to buy them for about 300 bucks so the part isn't that bad.

This car is a headache. My ABS light is on too and my headlight switch is out. I'm afraid of what is going to happen after i fix all of this.

BONFIRE074
01-16-2008, 08:36 PM
after all that you can have some good ol' spirited [drive] with the BT to try and forget about everything thats breaking[up][:D]

burner799
01-16-2008, 09:25 PM
after all that you can have some good ol' spirited [drive] with the BT to try and forget about everything thats breaking[up][:D]

that'd be awesome except i dont have a Bt. I was planning on it but, if this is how shit breaks when its nearly stock and i drive moderately, I'm afraid to think of what happens BT.

////D
01-16-2008, 09:44 PM
hm, what year is your car? if it keeps breaking save some money and get a newer model

burner799
01-16-2008, 09:47 PM
hm, what year is your car? if it keeps breaking save some money and get a newer model

I have a 99.5 with 86k miles on the clock. I get KILLER deals on bmw's since that is who I work for but, I still owe too much on my b5 to get something different. Not to mention, I'm 19 and in school full time so I don't want to worry about a high car payment

As for the steering rack, can somebody please get me a part number?
I assume its going to have to be a ZF right? What is the exact part number, I don't have my car on me right now, still in the shop.

GetAwayFromMe
01-17-2008, 08:57 AM
So my cars TB (with ecs ultimate kit) is being done right now.

all great fun but, heres the rest:

both outer cv boots are toast (have 1 gotta order another)

steering rack is leaking and tie rods have some play:

here's where I need some insight. How many hours of work is the steering rack usually? How long do you think I can gradually add fluid until it totally fails on me? I searched and found where to buy them for about 300 bucks so the part isn't that bad.

This car is a headache. My ABS light is on too and my headlight switch is out. I'm afraid of what is going to happen after i fix all of this.

Do you know how to do any work yourself? Get the steering rack fixed first because that's the most importat. It's a PITA to do just so you know.You can get outers for $40 a peace and they are not that hard ti install unless you have a problem like i did and it was welded to the iner TRE and i had to buy both. You can get a Headlight switch at a junk yard for cheap and that also is not that hard to do. CV boost should not cost alot labor vise. You can leave the ABS ligh on untill you have money to do it it's not that big of a deal because you still have brakes just not ABS.

Fix the rack the rest you can do slowly.

D's Avant
01-17-2008, 07:07 PM
Think of fixing things every month on your car as a hobby!

burner799
01-18-2008, 01:04 AM
hahah I used to do the work myself but, I don't have time because of school and work. The rack is leaking but, hopefully slowly and if it's broken...its broken so no point fixing until it gets so bad that I'm annoyed at putting more fluid in. I guess I'll crank out the cv boots next week, TB and all that shit is done, will do the DIY for the headlights for now, and then do my steering rack with tie rods and suspension at once to save on the alignment.

what else is going to go wrong in the next 50k miles? I'm afraid of even hitting 100k in this car.

Poopie
01-18-2008, 04:05 AM
I think you may need the KOYO unit. If I recall correctly the ZF has steering shocks or something like that.

I think a labor on a steering rack is like 3-400 bucks. Its a pricey fix for the rack on labor.

Here is a quick run down...

Jack car up
turn wheels to center
remove wheels
remove fender liners
remove tie rod rods both inner and outers
remove knee boltester
disconnect the steering shaft from the rack
remove battery
remove 12pt 10mm bolts from top (2)
remove 100 bolts from bottom
undo hydrolic lines
wiggle the rack out

To be honest, this was one of the worst repairs i had to do. Definantly not fun

zrowcool
01-18-2008, 05:21 AM
the rack is doable but it takes time and patience. i did the rack with a friend in about 3.5 hrs. its not that hard just a lot of little steps. and i used jack stands since i dont have access to a lift