PDA

View Full Version : Messing up a timing belt job

Stampy
01-16-2008, 07:56 PM
My lady friend did her timing belt last weekend. Everything went smooth and she said the cam and head marks lined up within a half tooth. She said that she thinks she might have moved the crank sprocket before she put the pulley back on the crank "a few teeth". She just lined up the Pulley with some marks that she made before she took it off. Anywho. Now she says she hears some very slight chatter but the car drives fine and no CEL. I believe the pulley should have a mark that lines up with the TB covers. Can we take off the belt and check the sprocket timing? I lost my Bentley, so sorry for the question.

She is a 01 1.8t FWD.

_ jeff

Mawhitey
01-17-2008, 03:32 AM
If you remove the top half of the belt cover that will reveal the cam timing mark, and when its near peer down at the crank pulley with a torch to see if you can see the timing marks. They are slightly to the right of the cover iirc

Nebone
01-17-2008, 06:26 AM
Lady friend performing a timing belt belt job is something you don't hear about every day. My lady friend don't like the sight of oil.

What he said ^

Militant-Grunt
01-17-2008, 09:57 AM
I did my Timing Belt job yesterday, everything went smooth for the most part, upon startup the car overheated a bit, I turned it off let it sit for half an hour, started it again and this time it started taking in coolant.

But the worst luck hit me on the way home, my viscous fan exploded punching a hole in the radiator. I think it was a tool or something got caught in the fan causing it to explode. So I'm out of a Fan / Radiator, car is sitting at the shop.

f15046
01-17-2008, 11:34 AM
i removed my engine driven fan and replaced it with an electric fan when i did my timing belt. the 14" electric fan was 30 bucks on ebay and the controller was 35.00 from Advance Auto.

Ewok_Fetus
01-17-2008, 05:56 PM
i removed my engine driven fan and replaced it with an electric fan when i did my timing belt. the 14" electric fan was 30 bucks on ebay and the controller was 35.00 from Advance Auto.

Oh do tell how you did that!!

And Militant Grunt... I am trying to get a few people together about this... I have had two fans shatter on me and IIRC the VW Rialta (RV) uses the same fan as us and actually has a recall for theirs... So maybe we can get in on the action on this... I will try to find out more about this...

Stampy
01-17-2008, 07:33 PM
If you remove the top half of the belt cover that will reveal the cam timing mark, and when its near peer down at the crank pulley with a torch to see if you can see the timing marks. They are slightly to the right of the cover iirc

I know about the timing marks for those pieces. The actual sprocket that the pulley attaches too. When she had the belt off she thinks it moved a few and she adjusted it to wear she thought it should be. I duno. How can We verify that the timing is right or wrong, other than waiting for the car to explode?

Stampy
01-17-2008, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the help too guys, I appreciate it.

woofster
01-17-2008, 08:05 PM
I did my Timing Belt job yesterday, everything went smooth for the most part, upon startup the car overheated a bit, I turned it off let it sit for half an hour, started it again and this time it started taking in coolant.

But the worst luck hit me on the way home, my viscous fan exploded punching a hole in the radiator. I think it was a tool or something got caught in the fan causing it to explode. So I'm out of a Fan / Radiator, car is sitting at the shop.

Hmmm...my viscous didn't exactly explode, but a little piece of metal on the hub dislodged and flew right into the radiator, puncturing it. What a PITA.

I started a short-lived thread with photos some time ago: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147223

Mawhitey
01-18-2008, 01:56 AM
I know about the timing marks for those pieces. The actual sprocket that the pulley attaches too. When she had the belt off she thinks it moved a few and she adjusted it to wear she thought it should be. I duno. How can We verify that the timing is right or wrong, other than waiting for the car to explode?

As long as the pulley is aligned, it will be fine as there is only one way the pulley will mount to the crank sproket as it has a locating dowel on it.[wrench]

Stampy
01-18-2008, 12:07 PM
As long as the pulley is aligned, it will be fine as there is only one way the pulley will mount to the crank sproket as it has a locating dowel on it.[wrench]

Wow, I never really noticed that before when I have done it. Thanks for the info homi. I will let her know this.