PDA

View Full Version : what to do with $1,500

Leifer
01-16-2008, 06:28 PM
So I've got a budget of about $1,500, and I'm wondering what to do. I'm already getting a cat-back 2.5" exhaust, so this does not factor into the budget that I have.

I was thinking of getting a new throttle body with a spacer, to utilize the custom intake I have made, and also an intercooler kit. I'm not sure what else I can get; I don't have quite enough for a BT upgrade, and before I do that, I need to get a level10 upgrade to the tip tranny.

Any other suggestions? I'm not quite sure if the throttle body/spacer is worth it... but I would imagine so, since I have a massive intake that isn't doing jack shit right now, besides making a cool noise.

pipe7284
01-16-2008, 06:32 PM
bank: Washington Mutual
Acct: xxxxxx1900

Felipe Hurtado

thanks!!!!!

Avant1.8BT
01-16-2008, 06:32 PM
Chip, DV, Coils.

bandit
01-16-2008, 06:34 PM
throw some coilovers and a rear sway bar on if you havn't already, build from the ground up!

Stampy
01-16-2008, 06:39 PM
BUy the Brand New PSS9 Bilstein Coils I have for sale. I'll hook you up less than new

Solaris
01-16-2008, 06:39 PM
Chip - $500, 710N - $35, H-Sport sway bars - $450, maintenance/suspension fund - the rest

legionvr6
01-16-2008, 06:55 PM
hhmmm theperformancedriver has the eliminator gt2x kit for 1,100

supermario
01-16-2008, 06:57 PM
oem rs4 front bumper with fogs

HIERLEVELZ
01-16-2008, 07:50 PM
x2 on coilovers

Euro-Tuner
01-16-2008, 07:51 PM
buy my KO4 and ECU for a 2000 and labree HFC with Milltek DP and still have money to throw around!...and my Eurospec AFPR

Rico750
01-16-2008, 08:12 PM
chip, coils, DV like avant1.8Q said.

Leifer
01-16-2008, 08:27 PM
I totally forgot to tell you guys what I already have, d'oh!

I have a chip (and a DV), I have an intake, I have a cat-back exhaust... I'm not looking for suspension parts right now; that'll come with the ~ $1,000 I get in a couple of weeks. I'm looking to do some serious pre-BT work to the engine.

I wanted to do a bigger throttle body with a spacer so I could get a nice low-end gain, and then throw in a bigger turbo... that gt2x elim for $1,100 looks good. I'll PM the guy about it, thanks legionvr6

esss_pho
01-16-2008, 08:33 PM
invest it...

not in a car lol

burner799
01-16-2008, 08:52 PM
Get it ready for when your car takes a major dump on your face...which if it hasn't already it will soon....like mine just did. I wish I had 1500 to get it up to par.

MikeWasHere05
01-16-2008, 09:00 PM
I totally forgot to tell you guys what I already have, d'oh!

I have a chip (and a DV), I have an intake, I have a cat-back exhaust... I'm not looking for suspension parts right now; that'll come with the ~ $1,000 I get in a couple of weeks. I'm looking to do some serious pre-BT work to the engine.

I wanted to do a bigger throttle body with a spacer so I could get a nice low-end gain, and then throw in a bigger turbo... that gt2x elim for $1,100 looks good. I'll PM the guy about it, thanks legionvr6

gt2x power = aggressive K04 power.

If you're gonna go with a Garret, go with a 28.

element256
01-16-2008, 09:03 PM
Brakes \ Coils ?

I'd check the car out and see what "might" be going out soon or needs to be replaced and just go ahead and upgrade that stuff, and then buy yourself a little present on top.

Leifer
01-16-2008, 09:14 PM
I'm not going to dump $1,500 at once -- I'm going to allocate a certain amount of money, relative to my income, so I can keep a back-up supply. I just want this $1,500 to "eventually" get spent on my car.

element, I'm getting a full inspection of my car tomorrow. I don't think anything major needs to be done, and if not, then I'll ask them to bore out my throttle body and add a spacer. Might be worth it.

MikeWasHere, thanks for the heads-up. I was just researching the gt2x and realized for $1,100... not worth it! :)

So does anybody know if adding a spacer and boring out the throttle body is going to do noticeable good to the car? I would assume the torque and horsepower would go up significantly.

MikeWasHere05
01-16-2008, 09:22 PM
I'm not going to dump $1,500 at once -- I'm going to allocate a certain amount of money, relative to my income, so I can keep a back-up supply. I just want this $1,500 to "eventually" get spent on my car.

element, I'm getting a full inspection of my car tomorrow. I don't think anything major needs to be done, and if not, then I'll ask them to bore out my throttle body and add a spacer. Might be worth it.

MikeWasHere, thanks for the heads-up. I was just researching the gt2x and realized for $1,100... not worth it! :)

So does anybody know if adding a spacer and boring out the throttle body is going to do noticeable good to the car? I would assume the torque and horsepower would go up significantly.

Np. I think theres still better money-to-hp ratio gains to be made before you start messing with the throttle body. I built an entire PC-16 K04 setup (K04, fmic, exhaust, test pipe, injectors, afpr) for $1,300. Add in $200 for software and you're at 250hp/300tq for $1,500. You already have the exhaust, which for me was actually the most expensive part. Do some prowling of the classifieds (both on here and on vortex) and you can get some nasty deals.

For the guy that mentioned an oem RS4 bumper, you would need to widebody your front fenders for it to fit.

Leifer
01-16-2008, 09:26 PM
Mike, I have a tiptronic transmission... will that PC-16 profile fuck with the transmission at all? Because a level10 is another $1,000 IIRC :(

Edit: and by fuck with, I mean can the stock tip tranny handle 250hp/300tq?

MikeWasHere05
01-16-2008, 09:36 PM
Mike, I have a tiptronic transmission... will that PC-16 profile fuck with the transmission at all? Because a level10 is another $1,000 IIRC :(

Edit: and by fuck with, I mean can the stock tip tranny handle 250hp/300tq?

You'll be good. Its once you go anything past K04 power that you'll need to upgrade the tc, eg: "BT" range. A K04 is actually the same size as the K03, but has different exhaust housing size and such.

You'll probably need a tip chip though as well. What kind of software do you have on your car now? If its GIAC K03 programming you can get the PC-16 upgrade for $200. A tip chip is around $200 I believe.

Just to make yourself aware, with a tiptronic transmission and PC-16 setup you'll probably be in the high 14s area. It won't be a "fast" car, but the K04 will deliver a lot more power in the low end, so around town driving will be more fun.

To put it in comparison, a lot of people say going from stock->chip is the same feeling as chip->K04. I can't verify this myself however, its too frigid up here in New England to be dicking around with turbos in the garage [down]

Leifer
01-16-2008, 09:48 PM
I have APR software right now. Am I SOL for a PC-16 profile from them? Also, I don't care for hardcore race times, it's just the satisfaction of knowing I have a quick car that responds well. The lack of low-end torque is unbelievably disappointing, that's why I wanted to bore out my throttle body, and space it.

I think that, coupled with a K04 with a profile, would push my car over the 250hp mark. Also, will I need new injectors?

loustylez
01-16-2008, 09:58 PM
8" touchscreen car computer. unf.

biketsai
01-16-2008, 10:07 PM
Just K04 your car out.
It shouldn't cost too much considering you already have your exhaust.
Your tip trans , im sure can def handle the k04

kingtr
01-16-2008, 10:10 PM
I have APR software right now. Am I SOL for a PC-16 profile from them? Also, I don't care for hardcore race times, it's just the satisfaction of knowing I have a quick car that responds well. The lack of low-end torque is unbelievably disappointing, that's why I wanted to bore out my throttle body, and space it.

I think that, coupled with a K04 with a profile, would push my car over the 250hp mark. Also, will I need new injectors?

Wasting time with throttle body. Just do the K04 (unless you plan on going eliminator or full GT turbo, which just doesnt make sense with Tip--> Lag/lack of low end power will be a lot worse than K03/4) with aggressive programing. 2000 right? GIAC offers a number of aggressive files, you would need the J-31 file. Regular K04 file does NOT need different injectors. Aggressive file is suppose to use larger injectors. My 2001 A4 for example has the basic setup I am others have prescribed. FMIC, exhaust, larger MAF, and larger injectors (380cc) are what is needed for 2001 aggressive file (Hammer).

For software, you have no options if with APR. Can go with their stage 3 kit (just under 5K) is only way your APR chip will help save money. I would sell/trade + cash your APR chipped ECU for a stock ECU. Hopefully can make 200-300 off of that deal too. So that should give you 1700-1800 which can be enough for aggressive K04 file and hardware if you find deals/parts on forums. As far as the lag/lack of low end torque, the problem is the Tip tranny. K03 or K04 is very responsive and offers great low end torque (much better than BT setups). Starting at 800 rpms kills ya (with tip/auto). Only way to change that is to have a manual transmission.

Tiluleshpingen
01-17-2008, 12:03 AM
Np. I think theres still better money-to-hp ratio gains to be made before you start messing with the throttle body. I built an entire PC-16 K04 setup (K04, fmic, exhaust, test pipe, injectors, afpr) for $1,300. Add in $200 for software and you're at 250hp/300tq for $1,500. You already have the exhaust, which for me was actually the most expensive part. Do some prowling of the classifieds (both on here and on vortex) and you can get some Tasty deals.

For the guy that mentioned an oem RS4 bumper, you would need to widebody your front fenders for it to fit.

x2 fixed[:D]

Kyle H
01-17-2008, 12:08 AM
http://www.startupracing.com/images/B5QGTKit250.jpg
StartupRacing Vogtland Gran Turismo Suspension Kit
http://www.startupracing.com/

[:D]

SoFresh
01-17-2008, 01:08 AM
I see you're in Seattle.... I say you take that $1500 and I meet you at the Seatac airport tomorrow and we go to vegas... haha, just an option.

Leifer
01-17-2008, 01:18 AM
Why would I do suspension first? I sort of dig the stock-SUV look :D

Just kidding! But in all seriousness, I'd rather have more vroom-vroom right now. I have the ability to do a manual transmission swap, free of labor, but... certain individuals who own the title of the car would be extremely mad at me if I did such a thing.

Why am I wasting my time with the throttle body? It'll utilize the amount of air intake and the bigger exhaust. Bigger intake = more air, bigger throttle body = utilizing that air, bigger exhaust = utilizing that flow properly.

I don't understand how it can NOT benefit me, especially since I have a bottle of coke in my fridge that has more displacement than my engine.

Don Supreme
01-17-2008, 05:58 AM
Messing with the throttle body is a complete waste of time.

Use the $1500 and have your motor rebuilt with some scat rods.

RobbyB413
01-17-2008, 06:26 AM
So I've got a budget of about $1,500, and I'm wondering what to do.

If full BT and a transmission upgrade is your goal, why not give it to HSBC and let it earn 4.25% APY, and start sloughing off 10% of so of your weekly paycheck so that you can reach that goal quicky? Just an idea.

Tiluleshpingen
01-17-2008, 08:01 AM
our throtle bodies are good enough for some higher HP dont worry about it

Kyle H
01-17-2008, 10:11 AM
If full BT and a transmission upgrade is your goal, why not give it to HSBC and let it earn 4.25% APY, and start sloughing off 10% of so of your weekly paycheck so that you can reach that goal quicky? Just an idea.

hahah. [up][up][up]

Great advice, just made me laugh to see it like that. [:)]

Leifer
01-17-2008, 11:40 AM
Hahaha, because I don't wanna give it to no bank! :)

Okay, I've ruled out the TB bored out, but spacing it is still an option, and how about a larger turbo inlet hose + W/M injection (with an FMIC...)

Just personal preference, but I like to get the little stuff out of the way first, so I can really feel the power when I do the big upgrades.

Don Supreme
01-17-2008, 11:59 AM
^ you will end up having to do things twice.............

Waste Time
and
Money.

Leifer
01-17-2008, 12:03 PM
I'm wasting time and money upgrading small things before I upgrade the turbo? Even if I get a K04, I don't want to just drop it in with everything else stock.... I'd have to do it eventually, so how is it a waste of time and money?

Kyle H
01-17-2008, 12:14 PM
That's what my idea was, but I'm going with the idea that you do suspension/wheels/brakes, then go for the power. If you haven't yet, check out www.purems.com for their Stern line of motor/transmission/differential mounts, 034's Density line is also popular. Those will stiffen up your car and make it feel a lot more solid for not too much $$.

Wizard-of-OD
01-17-2008, 08:06 PM
Give it to me!

(for parts)