PDA

View Full Version : tick in 2001 2.8 quattro

paul2241
01-16-2008, 03:11 PM
Hi, I have just noticed a loud ticking noise that is variable by RPM somewhere in my engine I can't really pinpoint where it is, the oil has been changed with fully synthetic 5w 40 about 4000 miles ago. The engine has about 71,000 miles on it and I noticed it a few days ago, it has been pretty cold in the midwest, and I don't remember it in the summer. It could've started before I noticed it but I don't think I've ever heard it before this past weekend. Are the 2.8's known for the valve tap also, or am I looking at rod knock and my engine will blow any day now? I know you probably won't be able to tell from my description and I'm more than happy to supply any other info that might help you. Also it's going into the shop on friday for a wheel bearing so I'm going to ask them about it, but I would like to have an idea about what it might be before I fall for their "suggestions"

Thank you

Ewok_Fetus
01-16-2008, 04:22 PM
Last time you did the timing belt? If you haven't done it at all, I would get that done ASAP... You are about at the right mileage for a broken timing belt... That is my only worry with a noise like that... Another thing it MAY be would be the cam tensioner... I haven't really heard of those going bad too often in the 2.8's... Also, if it does end up being the timing belt rollers making the ticking, I have a partial kit that you can buy... I sold my 01 2.8 a while ago and just need one roller and the belt itself... But the water pump, tensioner and tensioner roller are all together... If you need those, let me know... They are all OEM or OEM upgrade... Willing to do $160 shipped! I paid over $200 for these a few months ago... All new, not rebuilt!

paul2241
01-16-2008, 08:57 PM
So it isn't common on a 2.8 to have a noise like that? my mechanic suggested a timing belt within the next 10k and I've read about this also something on my to do list when my bonus comes through. If I was indeed about to blow the engine would I have any indicator other than this noise? I hope it's just noisy valves with a combo of this cold, but my life can never be that simple. Also how hard would it be for a skilled audi mechanic to diagnose this without ripping my car apart?

thanks

GetAwayFromMe
01-17-2008, 09:22 AM
It's easy to look at the TB but the tensioner is the one you cant see without taking the front end off. It's not the TB that always goes bad 98% of the time tensioner gets loose and belt falls off than you are in some shit. Just get it done before something happens because it will cost you about $4000 to get it rebuilt or a new engine.

Too bad you dont like close by because i have all the tools and can help you out.

paul2241
01-17-2008, 09:24 AM
I'm in northern Indiana about a half hour away from Notre Dame, it looks like we're pretty far apart, but I greatly appreciate the offer.

paul2241
01-18-2008, 06:19 AM
The shop said that it is a lifter that won't pump up anymore. How important is this to get it fixed asap, and any idea how much this should cost?

paul2241
01-18-2008, 02:57 PM
The official word is that 2 lifters have failed and will not pump up on the left cylinder head. Bad lifters may be visible by eye and if not they may have to replace all 15 prices rang for 2 at $610.00 to all 15 at $1140.00. They also said this would include some new gaskets that are prone to leaking down the road. How bad am I getting ripped?

Thanks

loustylez
01-18-2008, 03:16 PM
new gaskets prone to leaking? why, just because they have been "worn" in or whatever that gaskets do i guess? i mean, i guess that makes sense but... if anything wouldn't it possibly leak at first then not later after they get set?

paul2241
01-18-2008, 03:18 PM
sorry for making that hard to understand. They said that the price would include replacing gaskets, gaskets that they said the OLD ones are prone to leaking and they have to replace down the road anyway, it was the valve cover gasket and a couple other ones too I think.

paul2241
03-16-2008, 07:31 PM
As you may or may not remember I posted a couple of months ago saying that I could hear a very loud tick in my engine bay, it turns out I had two bad lifters and that ate up my cam. Well I had both the lifters and cam replaced. Well now everything is quiet except for a little tick which I can't remember if I heard before it appears to be coming from the left side of the engine bay, and can really only be heard at idle. I have no clue if something else is going wrong, the same problem with the lifters is arising again, or if it is something that was always there I'm just paranoid. I have some sound clips of the left side, the right side, and over the middle of the engine bay that I would love someone that knows more than me to take a listen to. I can email them to anyone who would like to take a listen for me, or if I can add them to this post I will.

Thanks for the help.

paul2241
03-17-2008, 09:00 AM
Sorry if I didn't specify well enough it is coming from the drivers side