PDA

View Full Version : 2.8 Chip

oldblu
01-14-2008, 06:11 PM
Can anyone suggest where I can speed tune my ecu? There was a post about it before but I can't find the place online. I live in NJ and would prefer to visit the closest place without sending it out.

fikes
01-14-2008, 06:14 PM
I think it only gives you like 10 more hp and torque.

brinboston
01-14-2008, 06:15 PM
i'd like to hear the same from someone who's gotten it done, while the numbers don't seem impressive i have read that throttle response is much better as is the torque band.

audispeed
01-14-2008, 06:40 PM
if you are in jersey stop by PES

TMorris
01-14-2008, 06:44 PM
Flame suit? Check.

black00A4
01-14-2008, 06:56 PM
Check out some of the new companies like speedtuning or unitronic, I'm personally going with Technine to try it out. Dont listen to what others say about its not worth it, the whole idea of it not just to add like 30 horse but move the rev limiter up aswell as the power band.

SykoraA4
01-14-2008, 07:07 PM
the website is www.speedtuningusa.com , i got the 1.8t chip and love it, but then again im not a 2.8. from what ive heard it seems people like it alot. the place is in spencerville, MD. so a bit of a drive from jersey. hope that helps

oldblu
01-14-2008, 07:23 PM
Flame suit? Check.

You've gotta be kidding me.

And yes, the suggests did help. I'm going to look into those sites asap. I didn't know PES tuned though cause I might go there.

Is there a down side to tuning a stock 2.8?

TMorris
01-14-2008, 07:38 PM
no im not...tuning the 2.8 has been beaten to death and covered extensively on, and i say this with extreme confidence, every Audi forum. Your basic option for your 30V is the supercharger, exhaust, a drop, a SS if you have a stick and some exterior pieces. Do not waste your money on a chip that doesn't do anything

http://blogs.amnestyusa.org/pub/amnestyusa/death-penalty/beating-a-dead-horse.gif

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110257&highlight=2.8+mods

22 Pages

black00A4
01-14-2008, 08:08 PM
Kepp us posted on what happens. I 'm gonna be doing it myself in the early spring.

Snow
01-15-2008, 04:10 AM
no im not...tuning the 2.8 has been beaten to death and covered extensively on, and i say this with extreme confidence, every Audi forum. Your basic option for your 30V is the supercharger, exhaust, a drop, a SS if you have a stick and some exterior pieces. Do not waste your money on a chip that doesn't do anything

http://blogs.amnestyusa.org/pub/amnestyusa/death-penalty/beating-a-dead-horse.gif

22 Pages

How does the chip "Not do anthing" I just dont see your logic. If someone likes the 2.8 platform and they have money for modding then they can buy whatever mod they want.... 10hp/tq with a 7100 RPM Rev Limiter and Speed Limiter Removed is nothing? Right... thanks for that post. [up]

Seerlah
01-15-2008, 05:52 AM
How does the chip "Not do anthing" I just dont see your logic. If someone likes the 2.8 platform and they have money for modding then they can buy whatever mod they want.... 10hp/tq with a 7100 RPM Rev Limiter and Speed Limiter Removed is nothing? Right... thanks for that post. [up]

He was simply implying that it is not worth the $500, which he is def correct. Now if he had a 1.8t, then that is a different story. If he has the 2.8, the speedtuning chip is the best route. That is like $125 for same gains and it also increases rev limiter. I do not know about governer removal, but am sure it does. I do not see why they would neglect that aspect to a aftermarket chip. Most send thier units out, but you can get it on ebay (speedtuning chip) for cheap and get it installed somewhere. Or buy an ECU, and send that one out. Would cost less or around the same thing as getting a $500 chip, but now you have extra ECU that he can easily resell when ECU with chip comes back or keep for back up.

But for more hp gain, the aftermarket intake and cat back exhaust will def be a plus.

Seerlah
01-15-2008, 05:58 AM
But Oldblu, if you want to get your car chipped with GIAC (which is not worth it for a 2.8), there is a map on thier website for shops. They are the recommended chip for the B5 models. http://www.giacusa.com/dealermap/

*Edit: Whoops, just noticed you meant speedtune chip. You will have to send in your ECU or you can purchase chip on ebay (I believe). I actually just tried to search it and could not find it, you might have to go with option I suggested. You will have to ship out your ECU. But what you could easily do is buy an ECU, and send the other out. So, you may still be able to drive your vehicle. Then sell the other ECU when the chipped one comes back in mail. Or if you have other means of transportation, just send out the ECU. Hope this helps.

oldblu
01-15-2008, 12:09 PM
I get it. 1.8T are easier to mod but I don't have that engine.. It doesn't mean I'm gonna quit on mine just because it's easier on another engine.

And I'm not asking about modding my car; I'm asking where to get the chip. GIAC makes a chip but the years range from 96-99 and mine is a 2000. Not there. PES's site says nothing about software unless I call and ask. Unitronic is in Canada and if I decided to send it out, I'd worry about how long it'd take to get it back.

Speedtuning seems to be my only option but I have to think really hard about it because it's my only car and I rely heavily on it. How reliable is getting a chip online, especially from ebay? (Serious question)

So Zombieattackk, if you can't help me, it's ok. I just want to hear from people who have been through this before - isn't that the point of this forum? The other thread was about modding your car and people suggested programming the chip; now I want to know how and where.

Kronic Budz
01-15-2008, 12:18 PM

22 Pages

Dude its all good guys, this guy is just trying to make himself feel better about having a turbo. Making us 2.8 guys feel bad about having a bigger engine. W/e. I like how my 2.8 is way smoother then the 1.8. The 1.8 is just to damn loud. And I dont have to mod my car and its still fast enough.

oldblu
01-15-2008, 12:29 PM
I love the pick up and ride quality... I'm going to keep the engine stock except for the programming because it sounds great. The only thing I'm gonna do is put on a magnaflow muffler, that's it. I've had it before and it's not really loud but I don't really like the stock idle sound.. Other than that, this car has made me decide to never buy another brand. I'm getting compliments left and right; looks good, feels good - why ruin a good thing?

Seerlah
01-15-2008, 01:39 PM
GIAC makes chips for a 2000 B5 30v
http://www.giacusa.com/programs.php?mpid=60
http://www.awe-tuning.com/pages/shared/part_detail.cfm?PMaI=1&PMoI=1&PEI=3&PP=a4_28_chips.cfm&PPT=Chips&IL=GIACChips

You just made me learn something new. The 30v is $300 not $500 for GIAC. That is nice to know. Speedtuning starts off at $200. Someone actually told me that speedtuning sells thier chip on ebay, but I have yet to find it. There was a group buy on Audiforum last month for maybe $125 for chipping the 2.8. People have reviews if you would like to read. They all seem to like it. Even the 1.8 guys. http://www.audiforums.com/searchpro.asp?phrase=speed+tuning+chip&author=&forumid=ALL&topicreply=both&message=body&timeframe=%3E&timefilter=0&language=single&top=300&criteria=AND&minRank=0&sortMethod=r&submitbutton=+OK+

audispeed
01-15-2008, 01:45 PM

22 Pages

yes, but do a search for how many 1.8t "chip" threads there are. I bet it is more than 10 times the total 2.8 tuning threads [;)]

audispeed
01-15-2008, 01:48 PM
call up PES, they opened a chip tuning branch that does tune the 2.8. i forget what they named the branch thought.

TMorris
01-15-2008, 01:58 PM
Dude its all good guys, this guy is just trying to make himself feel better about having a turbo. Making us 2.8 guys feel bad about having a bigger engine. W/e. I like how my 2.8 is way smoother then the 1.8. The 1.8 is just to damn loud. And I dont have to mod my car and its still fast enough.

I have a 1997 2.8Q 12V...If the chip is sooo damn good why don't any of you have it?

Im not going to sit here and argue this, they are both great cars but the chip is no where worth the money

oldblu
01-15-2008, 02:28 PM
call up PES, they opened a chip tuning branch that does tune the 2.8. i forget what they named the branch thought.

Oh no way! that's awesome. Hour and a half drive for me. If the price is right, I'll just go with that. Thanks for that.

audispeed
01-15-2008, 05:14 PM
I have a 1997 2.8Q 12V...If the chip is sooo damn good why don't any of you have it?

Im not going to sit here and argue this, they are both great cars but the chip is no where worth the money

we aren't saying a a chip is the best thing ever. but ... $300 for giac chip, or whoever you go with, for 10+ hp and better throttle response, or $600-$1000 for an exhaust that gives, at best, half of that? its a matter of spending your money wisely. a chip is still a better bet than an intake or exhaust. people dont buy them because they dont sound cool like an exhaust.

Snow
01-15-2008, 08:21 PM
All I was basically saying was that the factual gains of a chip are technically huge for only being $300.

oldblu
01-16-2008, 03:47 PM
A little math for everyone: New 2007 A4 with the V6 base price is 26000 and has 255 hp = $101/hp. The 2.0T actually comes out to $130/hp. This is for a base, retail price. By chipping, if I get 10 hp for $300, that means I'm paying $30 per horse...Still don't think it's worth it with the 2.8s? I think I'm getting my money's worth.

brinboston
01-16-2008, 03:48 PM
very cool, never would have thought of it that way

brinboston
02-27-2008, 06:34 PM
anyone w/ any updates on chipping their 2.8? i'm considering getting mine done.... the speedtuning site says the chip is only $249?

biketsai
02-27-2008, 06:40 PM
Id do it if I were you and wanted a tad bit more.
get an exhaust and intake too

1a9u9d8i
02-27-2008, 07:11 PM
ok im going to look into doing this in the spring time. ill probly get the speedtuning one if its only $250. where do you guys get them installed? local tuning shop....? i guess i have to call around and find out what people charge to put one in. and yea for those with speedtuning vs giac vs PES vs whatever else, what do you think and how much did you spend?

brinboston
02-27-2008, 07:33 PM
looked on here and saw the price of $250: http://www.speedtuningusa.com/products/audi.htm

not sure what it includes, but if i were to do it i'd do intake and exhaust as well, everything together would prob run 1k so not sure if i'm ready to make the plunge yet.

Gundem
02-27-2008, 07:53 PM
I have my shit chipped. it's not as great as some make it to be and def. not as useless. Throttle repsonses gets better most def. it doesn't feel like the car is to o much for the engine too handle. Speed wise is somewhat (not completely) of a flop. it does however change to Redline to 7.1. I got it done when GIAC was doing it for $250.00 i think it's $400 again. it was worth the 250 but 400? i don't know.

brinboston
02-27-2008, 07:56 PM
do u have anything else done on urs or just the chip? i know doing chip + exhaust + intake is a good combo but i dunno if i want to drop that kind of dough on a 10 year old car....

TMorris
02-27-2008, 08:29 PM
do u have anything else done on urs or just the chip? i know doing chip + exhaust + intake is a good combo but i dunno if i want to drop that kind of dough on a 10 year old car....

You have a 98. If you want power find a used PES supercharger set up and enjoy 300HP

1a9u9d8i
02-27-2008, 11:02 PM
i have a custom intake done and i have a magnaflow muffler already on. so i guess if i really wanted to i could have the cat removed or just leave it like it is if i chipped it. this is very tempting... im still not sold on this speedtuning company though...

Gundem
02-28-2008, 02:02 AM
You have a 98. If you want power find a used PES supercharger set up and enjoy 300HP

i don't think he will spend 4K.