PDA

View Full Version : New Rims, next step question

recordstyle
01-14-2008, 12:49 PM
Hey guys,

Posted a few weeks back about my old celebration rims getting dinged/bent up and ended up ordering a new set of RS4 17" reps off of ebay. They have since arrived and the local ETD Discount Tire Center mounted them and balanced them for me. (ps, they look great!)
So...
The gentleman that serviced my car said that I should probably get an alignment, but they could not handle a Quattro alignment (their machines can't handle it?)... Why can't they handle it?

Quattro alignments are that specialized or different?!!

My question for you, (i searched around in the forums and wanted to confirm from anyone online/active now)...

Do I need the alignment if I had one done last year ( jan of '07 ) ?

Is that the next step after installing the new rims?

Anything else I should be made aware of? (he mentioned i might have to retorque them?! ??)

Thanks again, I figured this is an easier question for the experts around here, or anyone else that's done this before...

BigA1.8T
01-14-2008, 01:04 PM
you do not need an alignment after putting rims on your car, only time you really need to is if, A:your car pulls to the right/left B:you just put in a new suspension. yeah after about a day or so just check your lug bolts make sure their still tight thats all he meant by that.

whoace
01-14-2008, 02:51 PM
I agree with most of what BigA is saying. You shouldn't need an alignment if you are just installing rims. Unless, the tech saw that your current tires have uneven wear, which would mean you would need an alignment.

generik777
01-14-2008, 03:01 PM
Put up some pics of the new shoes.

recordstyle
01-14-2008, 03:30 PM
thanks for the replies guys, appreciate it!

i'm thinking that i'm going to take the car to Sears Auto tomorrow since my alignment is under warranty (phew!) and couldn't hurt to at least double check/fine tune it...

generik - i'll post pictures up once i get home.

any more comments/info out there?

A4Rollin
01-14-2008, 03:34 PM
i always heard to get an alignment if you go up two wheel sizes. Ex. had 16's and put on 18's, maybe im wrong

Baudi18t
01-14-2008, 03:41 PM
hey guyz, i dont post here that much but i am an alignment tech. And i must say i dont know how the roads are in SC but here in NY u should at least get your alignment checked every 6 months to a year. This is something that many people overlook b/c they pricey. after mounting new rims u don't need an alignment but you do need to re-torque. when you buy new tires they cost u a lot so dont skim on at least checking it.

generik777
01-14-2008, 03:42 PM
generik - i'll post pictures up once i get home.

good deal, im actually thinking of getting these exact same wheels this coming summer.

Liv4Psi
01-14-2008, 04:18 PM
Hey guys,

Posted a few weeks back about my old celebration rims getting dinged/bent up and ended up ordering a new set of RS4 17" reps off of ebay. They have since arrived and the local ETD Discount Tire Center mounted them and balanced them for me. (ps, they look great!)
So...

really hope you didn't get them from OE wheel distributors... if so, the finish will chip in months and they will bend on every little bump you go over...
ahhh... Chinese products... gotta love 'em

recordstyle
01-14-2008, 05:21 PM
really hope you didn't get them from OE wheel distributors...

this in NO way is against you, but i find it horrible/comical/ironic that the weeks before i ordered them on ebay and was (almost annoyingly) posting to ask anyone on these forums (b5, b5 chatterbox forum, general forum, tech: wheels/tires forum, buyer feedback forum and more) that 0 people responded to the posts. literally 0. i know that my posts might not have been about a rare high-end uber luxury set of rims, or that i came up with the latest BT setup, or that i invented carbon fiber whatever - but it was a good number of attempts to get a reply, and... i got 0.

i'm one of the many people that live and die with advice given on audizine - and have done so for years and years, and was desperately trying to get any sort of feedback possible, any warnings, any red lights, any other potential advice before my purchase and got... 0 back. [headbang]

so...
tomorrow after i get my alignment, and drive home happy that my car is driving better i'll post the pictures up and share them with anyone else out there interested. and i guess that i'll privately hope that my rims hold up, that the finish holds up, and that in the future others at least attempt to help fellow AZ'ers out before they make purchases out there online.

again, this was nothing personal against you - i just wish that... well, i might have read your doomsday postmortem reply before i put the money on the table.

i do appreciate it though and will drive carefully and make sure i keep them well detailed/clean/protected when i can. [:)]