PDA

View Full Version : Battery light stays on

manufan
01-13-2008, 07:57 PM
My g/f had to take my car back to school tonight. Ny - Va. While on the way, she stopped for fuel and when she took off, the battery light stayed on after she started the car. Lately when I start the car it would stay on until I gave it a few revs. She tried that, it stayed on. Shows just under 12 volts on the gauge. Can the belt be loose? Or is the alternator taking a crap?

whoace
01-13-2008, 08:25 PM
Sounds like the alternator. Should be pushing about 14V. The belt wont just come loose. If it is loose, you need to replace the tensioner.

GetAwayFromMe
01-13-2008, 08:29 PM
I had a guy come to me for an alternator replacement because his light was on, i didnt ask any questions or checked anything just did what he asked and after all was done the lights still stayed on. Well i ended up looking for the problem and found baterry wire to be coroded and read about 10 volts after i cleaned it it was all good.

I'm not saying that this is your problem but it's worth trying because it's cheaper. Have your alternator checked since that's most likley to be the problem.

BTW the light went off if i would rev it above 2k and stayed off until i would restart it again.

manufan
01-13-2008, 08:33 PM
I've had lots of work done on the front of the motor and I'm wondering if something went south with the belt or tensioner. She just called and the car totally died.

whoace
01-13-2008, 08:44 PM
Check if the belt is still tight. Sounds like alternator quit and you just drained your battery.

manufan
01-13-2008, 08:46 PM
She's on the road in Virginia, I'm in Pa

whoace
01-13-2008, 08:48 PM
I have no clue how far virginia is from pa...Ask her if the lights still work and how bright they are.

manufan
01-13-2008, 08:51 PM
Sorry about that. It's 7 hours away. The car progressively died. Various lights came on in the instrument cluster and the headlights flickered and then went out. Finally, the car stopped running.

whoace
01-13-2008, 08:53 PM
If the belt is still on, then the alternator's done. Either way, the alternator quit and your car was running off the battery. So when the battery died, so did your car.

manufan
01-13-2008, 08:55 PM
Same belt runs the h2o pump and p/s? Right?

whoace
01-13-2008, 08:57 PM
yup

GetAwayFromMe
01-13-2008, 09:01 PM
Yea bud looks like the alternator took a shit.

manufan
01-13-2008, 09:02 PM
Well, she said the steering was working ok and the coolant temp wasn't increasing. Sounds like the alternator must have gone missing. Are they rebuildable?

mnsirtee
01-13-2008, 10:32 PM
it's your alternator.

this just happened to me 2days ago. My battery light came on a day before this happened, that night i was on my way to autozone to have my batt replace. while on my way, all of my lights got dimmer as i progress and finally the car gave up. i ended up buying a new batt which was wast of money because it was the alternator that killed it. my old batt was still good, so don't get new one before you replace alt.

most places sell rebuilt one for $160-180 and you have to give them your old one.

whoace
01-14-2008, 10:29 AM
They are rebuildable if you know how to test one. Just need a DVOM and a growler. Way easier just to buy a new/rebuilt one. Like mnsirtee said, you'll have to return yours as a core. So you'll need to either remove yours first, or buy one from a place that'll return your deposit after you return the core.