PDA

View Full Version : Rear Fog light

a4justen
01-13-2008, 03:02 PM
So i have a 98 A4, i love driving with both front and rear fog lights on. Most of my friends have been telling me I have a light out (due to the fact there is only one fog light). This gets me wanting to drive my car with the fog light on more and more just to see who really knows the brand. Anyway, i was just wondering who else has had issues with people being clueless about the rear fog light. Anyone been pulled over for it?

bassed
01-13-2008, 03:19 PM
So i have a 98 A4, i love driving with both front and rear fog lights on. Most of my friends have been telling me I have a light out (due to the fact there is only one fog light). This gets me wanting to drive my car with the fog light on more and more just to see who really knows the brand. Anyway, i was just wondering who else has had issues with people being clueless about the rear fog light. Anyone been pulled over for it?

The whole point of the one light is to bring more attention. Generally all cars with the exception of a few Volvo's and Jag's all Euro cars only have 1 rear fog from the factory.

4ringAR
01-13-2008, 03:45 PM
driving with your rear fog on when it isnt necessary for the conditions is dumb. imo.

devmaster
01-13-2008, 03:56 PM
using the rear fog light is pointless IMO..
i flash it a couple times to get the attention of the people behind me some times..

but i always have the front fogs on when its dark out

4ringAR
01-13-2008, 03:58 PM
using the rear fog light is pointless IMO..
i flash it a couple times to get the attention of the people behind me some times..

but i always have the front fogs on when its dark out

yea. i only use the rear fogs when it is actually necessary, like in fog or heavy snow.

Jared71482
01-13-2008, 04:01 PM
do the double rear fog mod... [cool]

AudiRacerS4
01-13-2008, 04:06 PM

that defeats the point of the rear fog light [;)]

BrokeDown[20V]
01-13-2008, 05:13 PM
Please don't drive with the rear fog on, Its very distracting to the person behind you. Dont be dumb. Only use it when nessesary.

Do you also drive with your high beams on all the time, because you love it?

bassed
01-13-2008, 05:15 PM
that defeats the point of the rear fog light [;)]

Not if you live in SNOW country, having 2 is actually better with independent fogs. You actually only run fogs, city lights (if you have ecodes) in heavy snow so you can see and others can see you from behind. They are brighter and are even more visible, but now that I'm not in snow country anymore I should probably go back to just 1 rear fog.

.Mad Hatter.
01-13-2008, 05:39 PM
Why in gods name would you drive with the rear fog on all the time?

Like someone said thats exactly the same as driving with the highbeams on. pointless.

bassed
01-13-2008, 05:43 PM
Why in gods name would you drive with the rear fog on all the time?

Like someone said thats exactly the same as driving with the highbeams on. pointless.

If you run independent fogs and dual rears it's like having daytime running lights, but ones you control[;)]

A4Rollin
01-13-2008, 05:44 PM
Do you also drive with your high beams on all the time, because you love it?
lol, the only time you should ever use it is in snow storms or fog, otherwise completely dumb. Ive heard kids say they drive with it on cause it looks cool. idiots

bassed
01-13-2008, 05:46 PM
lol, the only time you should ever use it is in snow storms or fog, otherwise completely dumb. Ive heard kids say they drive with it on cause it looks cool. idiots

Don't forget heavy rain, mist, sleet, hail, tornado's during hurricanes and I can't think of any other inclement weather types at the moment[:D]

A4Rollin
01-13-2008, 05:48 PM
good point... i was just trying to get the point across. However, it was useful going through a hurricane last year! but wasnt fun to drive in

a4justen
01-13-2008, 08:35 PM
i hear what you are all sayin. using the fog light when its not needed is pointless. . ill try to keep the use down, i agree it is distracting when im behind someone with it on. i was just wondering if anyone gets the "hey man, you have a light out" comment

Militant-Grunt
01-13-2008, 08:53 PM

He doesn't need to he has a 98 he should have 2 fog lights as it is. I use both of mine to get tail gaters off my tail and also during poor weather, that and if a friend is trying to catch up and find me in traffic.

a4justen
01-13-2008, 09:10 PM
until the b7 a4 and the a6 only had one rear fog light. that is how they come stock.

Stampy
01-13-2008, 10:14 PM
you should put a single HID in the rear fog and really fuck with people.

4ringAR
01-13-2008, 10:30 PM
you should put a single HID in the rear fog and really fuck with people.

lol. that would be intense. but i dont even know if it is possible because of the kelvin ratings

ExpLlclT
01-13-2008, 10:49 PM
its only good use is when people are following you somewhere you put it on and tell them hey im the car with the broken light i explained it to my buddys and there like o no you must have a broken tail light, people are retarded...

AudiSport12
01-13-2008, 11:59 PM
I used to get the "you have a tail light out" when I first got my car because I didnt realize I was driving with it on. Now that I've upgraded to the 99.5 tails, I did the dual rear fog mod but I never use it just for fun. I only use them with fog and rainy conditions and when idiots are following too close. I did accidently leave it on the other day and a dude behind me pulled up next to me bitching that I should get my brake lights fixed because they were staying on.

They are very bright for the people behind you....

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e277/kyleconn/DSCF1428.jpg

but they can look cool in pics..

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e277/kyleconn/DSCF1578.jpg

Mawhitey
01-14-2008, 12:07 AM
I hate over use of "FOG" lights, a pet hate, i find them dazzling as lots of the younger guys over here think its cool to drive around all of the time with them on. Its worse to have them on in rainy conditions due to the amount of light reflecting off the road IMO.
But hey Each to their own !

I think i have used mine more to deter tailgaters than i have for fog

AudiSport12
01-14-2008, 12:14 AM
Its worse to have them on in rainy conditions due to the amount of light reflecting off the road IMO.
But hey Each to their own !

I'd rather have them on during heavry rain because the single strip tail light on the 99.5 tails are pretty dim so it helps people see you better. The light is projected directly back with the rear fogs, not to the ground so it doesnt reflect too much on the ground but if it did, they're more likely to stay father back at a safer distance. Check the pic I posted with the fogs against the wall.

Thats just my look at it.

Mawhitey
01-14-2008, 12:20 AM
^^ More directed at front fogs, sorry wasnt clear^^

speedydragon
01-14-2008, 12:49 AM
it's fun to use it when some1 follows too close, kinda like a pre-caution tellign to back up a bit.