PDA

View Full Version : Make sure to replace crush washers haha...

Just Quaff
01-13-2008, 12:26 PM
Changed my fuel filter last night. Not as hard as they make it out to be from all the stories. It took me just under an hour and this was my first fuel filter. Well, the issue at hand was that I followed the readup on AW and noticed that there was no mention of crush washers. So, when I was taking out the 19mm bolt I noticed there was a crush washer. The problem was that I didn't have replacement ones and I started the project at 9 and no place was open at that time. Being my stupid self I decided to wing it for the time being until I could get some replacement washers, aka, using the same ones...

Big mistake haha. Oh and there is supposed to be 2 crush washers per banjo fitting. For some reason when I took it off there was only one. Dumb ass tech or something that did the last one with the previous owner. Anyway, went to go take some pictures and noticed that gas was spraying everywhere under my car!! Yah for crush washers. So pulled it back up on the lift and searched the entire shop for some extra ones. Long story short, found some and put them on and now everything seems to be holding fine. I hope. But yeah. Word to the wise. Change your damn crush washers and make sure there are 2 on those banjo fittings.

Makes me want the B6 filters... So much easier

Mike@PureMS
01-13-2008, 01:35 PM
Definitely change these washers everytime!
B5 Fuel Filter Washer kit (http://www.purems.com/products/product.php/II=1835)

audiness
01-13-2008, 05:53 PM
I had the same problem.

my new fuel filter did not come with new ones.. and they were really hard to find. Had to end up going to the VW dealer.. :(

Just Quaff
01-13-2008, 06:00 PM
yeah thats exactly what happen with me. I bought mine from the dealership and it didn't come with washers. you would think they would come with them. Assholes man lol. Trying to complicate things as much as possible. And you are right, they are hard to find.

woofster
01-13-2008, 06:05 PM
Damn! I have a new fuel filter in my garage, waiting to be installed. I don't have new washers for the filter either. How much do the dealers charge for a set of these?

ngrover
01-13-2008, 07:15 PM
Yup, just went through that myself. I don't have a second vehicle so it's hard to go get parts in the middle of doing anything. I had to take the crush washers out and sand them with a fine grit sand-paper, re-install and check for leaks (repeated this process 4 times before it stopped spraying). IIRC they are made out of copper and were corroded and oxidized which caused a rough surface. If you're in a pinch like I was then you can try "smoothing" them with a fine grit sand-paper. Next time I'll ask for "a fuel filter and washers please"