PDA

View Full Version : Car Shaking!!??

rss723
01-13-2008, 12:19 AM
so i got my car lowered this summer put on some new rims, and recently it started shaking at about 30mph, I never had it aligned since the drop so I thought that was it. I brought it to audi and they couldn't align it because it was too low they could only balance so they did, and today I had it aligned at mavis tire and its still shaking. I brought it to audi and they said, one of my rims are bent. I don't understand how this is possible if my rims haven't bumped in to anything. Has this hapned to anyone else?? BTW I have AT Italia s6 rims.

biketsai
01-13-2008, 12:20 AM
It could be bent control arms

whoace
01-13-2008, 12:50 AM
Might be the tires. Perhaps the belts shifted or the previous alignment of the car really chewed up the tire.

Rico750
01-13-2008, 01:03 AM
Might be the tires. Perhaps the belts shifted or the previous alignment of the car really chewed up the tire.

yep.. how many miles did you go without proper allignment ?go try have it alignt somehwere else.. did you try that ?

OverSpun
01-13-2008, 01:25 AM
Do you have hubcentric rings installed? If you dont, then this could be why you feel a vibration. However, you usually notice it around 50-60mph and then again around 80 or so. It'll go away depending on the speed.

rss723
01-13-2008, 08:30 AM
I have been riding on the new tires for about 4000 miles without alignment.

rss723
01-13-2008, 08:32 AM
Do you think a tire rotation could help??

devmaster
01-13-2008, 11:08 AM
Do you have hubcentric rings installed? If you dont, then this could be why you feel a vibration. However, you usually notice it around 50-60mph and then again around 80 or so. It'll go away depending on the speed.
wait thats what my car does.. how does 1 do that job?

Tiluleshpingen
01-13-2008, 11:12 AM

whta a hubcentric ring? i have heard it plenty of times just never understood what it really was

devmaster
01-13-2008, 11:15 AM
whta a hubcentric ring? i have heard it plenty of times just never understood what it really was

same

AudiA4_20T
01-13-2008, 11:22 AM

On aftermarket wheels, many of them have different size hubs then the factory Audi hub... So, you need a hubcentric ring (think of it more as a hub adapter) to ensure that the wheel lines up perfectly and doesnt shake because the hubs are not the same size

When you need to go from 2" piping to 2.5" you use a reducer, same concept

Just Quaff
01-13-2008, 12:28 PM
I know it sounds stupid. But it could be a lug nut. You may have forgotten one or it fell out. Just one missing will cause a vibration in the ride. I would do a once over check at least. Good luck

4RingRook
04-13-2008, 04:35 PM
I'm going to bump this b/c I just got my HRE542s mounted on new BFG KDW tires... 2 shops, and 3 balances later, the car still shakes. It gets the worst in the 65mph+ range. I torqued all the lugs to 88 ft/lbs as well.

The car seems to pull a bit to the right - I'm having an alignment done on Thursday at the dealership (possibly a 20mm RS4 Rear Sway as well).

This seems more like a balance than an alignment issue though, doesn't it?

Stance McNasty
04-13-2008, 05:42 PM
um.. is hub bore correct? if not you can get hub rings and that'll fix the problem..

are you running spacers? i had 5mm non hubcentric and it would vibrate between 45-70mph.. got hubcentric ones and no more vibration.

fernando
04-13-2008, 06:12 PM
well a wheel alignment won't really cause a vibration...the first things that you should be looking for are the obvious....any play in the front end, tie rods, ball joints, control arms etc...also check to see if your tires are smooth or if you feel any bumps, if so you might have a shifted belt or you tires might be feathered from improper alignment...if all those are ok check the wheels for balance, and when they balance them they will be able to tell you if thy are warped on not...also check on the inside of the rims to make sure that there is no build up of dirt (mud,sand etc...) if all of that is ok then you will need to start checking your drive train...cv joints, warped or unbalance drive shaft.

hope this might help

gq331
04-13-2008, 07:07 PM
jack the car up and take a look at the tie rod ends. See if they are ripped. If not, take a look inside, where the steering rack comes out. If it isn't tight, you'll see a gap from the top to the rack. Make sure the steering rack is tight. Take off the plastics that cover your brake juice and the battery, look for 2 10mm 10 point bolts that are on the bottom. One on the driver side, one on the passenger side. Make sure they are tight. If they are loose, your shit will shake and never align properly. Happened to me and the shops I took it too couldn't figure it out.

rss723
08-23-2008, 02:42 PM
found out that it was that one of my rims were slightly bent

AudiSport12
08-24-2008, 11:31 AM
I noticed a vibration in the front end of my A6 directly after I put my RS6 rep wheels on. I've had it aligned and balanced twice and it still shakes. After the first balance, it shook from 55-65mph but after I balanced it the second time, the vibration starts at around 45-55. I'm thinking I may have a bent wheel even though these are brand new. It was never there before on the stock wheels and tires. I guess my next step should be rotating the fronts to the back to see if the vibration follows.