PDA

View Full Version : any beneficial reason to install a heatshield?

b5a4lover
01-12-2008, 05:15 PM
im being told there are 0 gains in having a heatshield. the reasoning is, since the turbo heats the air and the intercooler cools it back down, there is no difference in having cold or hot air going into the turbo. but wouldn't it still be colder after the turbo if it was colder air going in than hotter air? there's gotta be some benefits to the heatshield since they come so recommended on the boards. please enlighten me

Grangalan
01-12-2008, 05:37 PM
The cooler the air that initially goes into the turbo, the cooler the air going thru the intercooler. Front mounts do a GREAT job at cooling the intake charge, BUT why have hotter air inititially? Plus it can only result in positive.

The heatshield is more for Cone filter setups since the filter sucks in the ambient air surrounding it. Without a Heatshield the immensely hot air from the turbo was heating up the filter to the point where i got sizzled a few times. With the heatshield it blocks off that section of the engine bay creating a seperate compartment.

A while back when i installed my heatshield there was almost a 100 deg F difference between the filter side of the heatshield and the engine/turbo side of the heatshield.

In short. GET IT!

b5a4lover
01-12-2008, 05:42 PM
yeah his reasoning is just that the difference is so minute that having a fmic will negate that small difference so a heatshield really does nothing

Grangalan
01-12-2008, 06:01 PM
Understandable, but in my opinion sucking in 160-180 deg air or 80 deg air I'll take the 80 deg air. Its bad enough the compression process from the turbo heats up the air like crazy. I guess someone should check the post IC intake charge Temp with and without intercooler. I live in Florida so ill take the coldest intake charge i can get.

Is your friend referring to people running heatshields with the stock airbox? or with a Cone filter?

b5a4lover
01-12-2008, 06:05 PM
yeah that was my thinking as well. i have a heatshield on mine, i live in florida as well, i was just trying to get that point across and he justs says it wont make a difference cause the IC will still cool both temps to the same temperature on the cold side.

can u link me to that thread?

Calabria
01-12-2008, 06:31 PM
Im running the True heatshield and 2 OEM heatshields, and yes, theres a is a very noticeable difference between the intake and turbo side.

2001A4QUATTRO
01-12-2008, 06:35 PM
Is your friend serious? Does he have a clue about thermodynamics? This is very simple, tell him to read it.

Energy exchanged (heat) from the turbo is somewhat constant regardless of the temperature air comes in. i.e. Say the turbo is going to heat up your intake by 100 degrees. If the inlet temperature drops so does the outlet. This enables the stock intercooler to actually work... LOL

180 degree inlet + 100 degree turbo = 280

80 degree inlet + 100 degree turbo = 180

Of course it is not exact but you get the point.... [:p]