PDA

View Full Version : What Could It be

Squarrl
01-12-2008, 04:15 PM
I have a thud/clunk from my passengers side wheel well when you hit a bump or speed bump. I thought ok control arm has gone bad. Car goes up on lift and they all seem to be in decent condition. The have some play when you use a pry bar, but nothing obvious. In a dirt bay when someone moves the wheel nothing seems to be obviously wrong either. I asked some mechanics (not vw/audi) too look they said it all looked good.
How obvious are they when they are bad on A4 and what else could it be.

*edit* car has around 62000miles on it.

woofster
01-12-2008, 05:25 PM
That's usually a sign that a new control arm and/or tie rod is required.

If it's neither of those, I'd inspect the struts, springs and driveaxles for something amiss there.

Squarrl
01-12-2008, 06:59 PM
How much movement can there be for each control arm?

A4Rollin
01-12-2008, 07:29 PM
hey man i had this before and it only would make noise on speed bumps and stuff too! If you are talking about a noise that comes from the passenger rear... then im talking about the same thing. When i jacked it up and looked around everything was fine. Brought it to a VW dealer and showed it to the service guy and found out there were two bolts missing off my rear passenger caliper (creating the noise to occur when going over bumps). Easy fix but had to buy new rear pads since the ones on the right rear were shot because of this. good luck, hope this one helps

Squarrl
01-12-2008, 08:21 PM
Ok ill check that

1.8G
01-12-2008, 10:04 PM
I had my car inspected on a lift, and they couldn't detect a bad control arm until they heard the clunk while lowering the car back down to the ground.

audib5a4
01-12-2008, 10:05 PM
pretty sure theyre control arms, theyre a bitch to drive with when bad.

whoace
01-13-2008, 12:37 AM
Woofsters right, it's definitely suspension related.

Get it on a hoist and load up the wheel (drop the hoist down with a stand under the one wheel to replicate it sitting on the ground).

Squarrl
01-13-2008, 03:39 PM
Ive done that already, nothing looks amiss even when someone moves the steering while im looking at it. The only think that maybe looks like it could be bad is the outer tie rod. Would that make such a clunk?

whoace
01-13-2008, 08:41 PM
Well if you've had it on a hoist and shook it for tie rod play, it would be pretty major play for a clunk. Proper way to check for play is to grab the tire and shake it side to side, trying only to feel the play. Same for BJs but top to bottom.