PDA

View Full Version : DV/BOV confusion

b5a4lover
01-12-2008, 11:31 AM
im all confused about the way you position them. can they be reversed? or does the bottom (where the air comes in) always have to go into the intercooler piping, or can it be positioned towards the TIP? and why is the bottom of the stock valve facing towards the TIP yet you reverse it when you install an aftermarket one?

legionvr6
01-12-2008, 12:54 PM
after market DV/bovs are just build to be instaled in revers of the stock on. my forge splitter is in revers to the stock on and the instructions that came with it tolled me to do so. its just the inlet and outlet set up is reversed inside of the valve

b5a4lover
01-12-2008, 01:02 PM
ok so on the stock one
http://www.fastvws.com/acatalog/bosch_dv.jpg

the diaphragm is moving left to right instead of up and down? doesn't seem right considering the way the enclosure its in is shaped

and why does my 004 work with the bottom end facing the TIP?

mike-2ptzero
01-12-2008, 02:10 PM
ok so on the stock one
http://www.fastvws.com/acatalog/bosch_dv.jpg

the diaphragm is moving left to right instead of up and down? doesn't seem right considering the way the enclosure its in is shaped

and why does my 004 work with the bottom end facing the TIP?

In that picture the valve opens up/down. But since it is a diphram the pressure needs to come in from the side so that there isn't constant pressure beeing put on both sides of the diaphram like if you were to put the bottom of the valve into the turbo outlet hose. This is why all diaphram valves are installed this way.

Piston type valves are installed with the pressure under the valve so that it helps open the valve when the pressure in the small vac line is released and becomes vacuum. If you install it so that the pressure is coming in thru the side it ends up forcing the piston inside toward one side of the valve causing it to have some drag while it is trying to open/close.

audiFUEGO
01-12-2008, 02:40 PM
my forge 007 is installed so that the side nozzle is the pressure side, and the bottom nozzle is the release side.

and when i install it backwards it doesnt hold more than 12 psi..

anonymous6915
01-12-2008, 03:56 PM
i have a forge 007 and iv had it installed both ways...no change in pressure just one way makes more noise than the other...thats the only difference i saw...

b5a4lover
01-12-2008, 04:01 PM
In that picture the valve opens up/down. But since it is a diphram the pressure needs to come in from the side so that there isn't constant pressure beeing put on both sides of the diaphram like if you were to put the bottom of the valve into the turbo outlet hose. This is why all diaphram valves are installed this way.

Piston type valves are installed with the pressure under the valve so that it helps open the valve when the pressure in the small vac line is released and becomes vacuum. If you install it so that the pressure is coming in thru the side it ends up forcing the piston inside toward one side of the valve causing it to have some drag while it is trying to open/close.

that was the exact answer i was looking for. thanx mike!

so now i have another question. i ran the 004 with the bottom in the TIP and it made a fluttering noise when blowing off. now with it in the intercooler piping, it is louder and 1 long "psshhh". is installing it one way hurting the engine?

my forge 007 is installed so that the side nozzle is the pressure side, and the bottom nozzle is the release side.

and when i install it backwards it doesnt hold more than 12 psi..

thats how i had my 006.

Durkin
01-12-2008, 04:06 PM
i had my 007 installed both ways also, one was a quieter "woosh" the other way (how i have it installed now) is a louder "CHIRP"... it makes the chirp sound while the bottom of the piston is towards the intercooler piping and the vac line is opposite it(i think...)

mike-2ptzero
01-12-2008, 05:13 PM
that was the exact answer i was looking for. thanx mike!

so now i have another question. i ran the 004 with the bottom in the TIP and it made a fluttering noise when blowing off. now with it in the intercooler piping, it is louder and 1 long "psshhh". is installing it one way hurting the engine?

Did you just say you put the 004 BOV into the turbo intake pipe?

Now why would a BOV go into the TIP when it belongs in the IC pipe so it can release pressure that builds up between the TB and turbo when the TB closes?

This is most likely why you were getting some funny should because the BOV was just letting in unmetered air into the TIP when it opened.

b5a4lover
01-12-2008, 05:17 PM
i know. but i tried it that way and it worked. its in the intercooler piping now. i just dont really get how it worked[confused]

317ssayzarc
01-12-2008, 05:19 PM
wow...

mike-2ptzero
01-12-2008, 05:33 PM
i know. but i tried it that way and it worked. its in the intercooler piping now. i just dont really get how it worked[confused]

Yeah it worked but wasn't doing what it was designed for which is to release pressure in the IC pipe. Just hard for it to do that while in front of the turbo.

At this point your lucky to still have a working turbo.

Pat@Forge
01-14-2008, 07:56 AM
Installed into the TIP the 004 was opening but it wasn't releasing pressure in your intercooler pipes between shifts. There is no mystery as to why it was opening, vacuum in your intake manifold would open it even if it was connected to nothing but the reference line. All you were accomplishing then was a post MAF leak.

audiFUEGO
01-14-2008, 07:59 PM
just to clarify....

the only BPV that you are supposed to run "backwards" is the 004 (and the apr one)...but not the 007..

so not all piston type DV are to be ran backwards

mike-2ptzero
01-14-2008, 08:27 PM
just to clarify....

the only BPV that you are supposed to run "backwards" is the 004 (and the apr one)...but not the 007..

so not all piston type DV are to be ran backwards

The 004 is a BOV not a BPV.

It will be a little hard to run a BOV backwards.[;)]
https://secure.memca.com/ecodetuning/images/products/436_large.jpg

audiFUEGO
01-14-2008, 08:35 PM
i thought the 004 was the "splitter" DV/BOV hybrid?