PDA

View Full Version : calling all those with inner tie rod wisdom

agentsmith988
01-12-2008, 09:56 AM
i posted awhile ago about a clunking when starting/braking/turning and still havent been able to figure it out. the only thing i havent replaced in the front suspension is the inner tie rods. do they sound like they could be the culprit from these symptoms?

symptoms to hear the clunk:
-when turning the wheel at a standstill you can hear the clunk
-sometimes when accelerating from a stop you can hear it clunk
-everytime braking when the pedal is about half-way down you get the clunk and you can definately feel it in the pedal as well

A4Rollin
01-12-2008, 11:26 AM
i had this problem with a previous A4 i had. It ended up being the tie-rod bushings were bad. The best part was there was a recall on this for 98- A4's and had it done for free. However, that was 2 to 3 years ago.

Poopie
01-12-2008, 11:27 AM
best thing to do is jack up the front and push on and tug the wheel to local the loose joint.

agentsmith988
01-12-2008, 11:29 AM
i had this problem with a previous A4 i had. It ended up being the tie-rod bushings were bad. The best part was there was a recall on this for 98- A4's and had it done for free. However, that was 2 to 3 years ago.

was the inner or outer tie rods? and you could feel it in the brake pedal?

A4Rollin
01-12-2008, 11:35 AM
im not sure which one it was because the stealership did it for free, like i said it was awhile ago. Also, do what poopie said or even push up and down on your front end by the wheel and have a friend pin point where the noise is from. Tie rod bushings tended to be pretty shitty on pre 99 A4's. Look at the bushings and if they are torn, cracked or deflated lookin (another symptom is seeing little metal parts coming out in the grease) thats probably the problem.

agentsmith988
01-12-2008, 11:46 AM
there isnt any play at all when its on the lift. control arms, sway bar links, and tre's are new. ive ruled out the sway bar/link (still got the sound when the sways were disconnected) the only other parts i can think of are the inner tie rod and maybe engine mounts? any thoughts?

Kronic Budz
01-12-2008, 12:39 PM
there isnt any play at all when its on the lift. control arms, sway bar links, and tre's are new. ive ruled out the sway bar/link (still got the sound when the sways were disconnected) the only other parts i can think of are the inner tie rod and maybe engine mounts? any thoughts?

maybe a shock mount? Maybe a little loose, just trying to give some input.

O yea BTW, where did u get your CA's and TRE's from?

GetAwayFromMe
01-12-2008, 03:33 PM
I had no idea that there was a recall for the TRE. I got my from ECStuning and replaced both ends myself.

iin10ded
01-12-2008, 05:19 PM
i get the same clunking in my brakes. what brakes are you running? i have all new suspension bits as well, i suspect slop in the caliper carriers - theyre the a8/tt kit from ecs. the carriers look like recycled tin foil [NOT oem quality].

keep us posted.

agentsmith988
01-12-2008, 08:12 PM
the only aftermarket brake components im running right now are a set of redstuff... i'm going to try and find some time after work on monday to get it up on the lift to check the inner tie rods and poke around a bit more with a chassisEAR.

i was thinking an engine mount for a bit, but I can get it to clunk lightly at a standstill just running the steering wheel back and forth...

Blake260
01-12-2008, 08:39 PM
an inner tie rod end failure will usually give a creaking sound through the steering wheel when turning.

dualaudi
01-12-2008, 09:27 PM
i get the same clunking in my brakes. what brakes are you running? i have all new suspension bits as well, i suspect slop in the caliper carriers - theyre the a8/tt kit from ecs. the carriers look like recycled tin foil [NOT oem quality].

keep us posted.

oh no... i have the same brake feeling you guys are talking about (plus i know i need to replace my tie rod ends- you can hear it more in the cold morning when turning out of my driveway)

I got my a8/tt brakes from purems... i hope the brake clunk is not serious with the breakes on half pressed...

Kronic Budz
01-14-2008, 12:22 AM
an inner tie rod end failure will usually give a creaking sound through the steering wheel when turning.

are you sure its inner and not just outer?[eek]

onemoremile
01-14-2008, 06:56 AM
I had to replace the passenger side inner. The replacement isn't that bad and the crow's foot socket isn't needed at all. I did have to use the bench grinder to open up the crescent wrench about 1/8" to get over that big ass nut. With the wheels turned it was easy to get real tools in there and do some work. The hardest part of the whole thing - by far - was getting the rubber boot over the end of the steering rack. I tore the first boot trying and used a heat gun on the second to soften and stretch it.

agentsmith988
01-14-2008, 08:22 PM
well its fixed!!
i put it up on the rack tonight and had someone run the steering wheel back and forth until i could figure out where the clunk was coming from and sure enough, my lower rear control arm was clunking where it connects at the frame! jacked that side up to normal ride height and torqued it down and presto! no more clunking!! i love free fixes

A4Rollin
01-14-2008, 08:39 PM
my lower rear control arm was clunking where it connects at the frame
??????

agentsmith988
01-14-2008, 09:58 PM
??????

one of the front, lower control arms (the one positioned farther aft "rear" out of the two)

Poopie
01-14-2008, 11:22 PM
good fix man!