PDA

View Full Version : Timing belt skipped a tooth....

tunerb5
01-12-2008, 12:12 AM
Some of you may have seen the thread I posted a few weeks ago about my car suddenly dying a few seconds after it was started. So I checked all the obvious, ICM, ECU, No codes, fuel, spark.......etc and it all seemed fine. The timing belt looked tight so that was my last resort. Well today I went to take a closer look. I lined up the timing marks on the crank pulley and the cam marks were exactly a tooth off. I know that since it's only one tooth and it only idled for a few secs there should not be ant damage. If it were 2 or 3 then that would be a different story.

I tore apart the whole front end to take a closer look at the tensioner and here's what I found. I could still put more tension on the big roller but the shaft from the tensioner it self would not come out, it's basically stuck in one spot. The car has almost 125k on it and the last time I did a full timing belt/water pump....etc job was at around 70k miles, so tensioner has around 55k miles on it.

Digging in the engine compartment I also found that the large breather hose under the intake mani is cracked in a few places, I need new motor mounts bad, a new valve cover gasket, and the drivers outer cv boot has a crack in it. So not the car is getting quite a bit of maintenance which I didn't expect to do.

Rico750
01-12-2008, 04:02 AM
thats our B5 :)

audiness
01-12-2008, 06:40 AM
every time i work on my car, i always find something else that needs to be done. always

Stampy
01-12-2008, 09:46 AM
hahahaha.... yeah

tunerb5
01-13-2008, 11:35 AM
found more shit.....

bushings on the swaybar brackets are falling apart, rear biltein shocks are blown and upper shock mounts/bushings are worn out.

All this is getting replaced along with everything else mentioned above.

this is funny, because in the last 6 months I've replaced the ICM for the second time, battery for the second time, upper control arms for the second time, tie rods, cabin filter, MAF, fuel filter, all new rotors/pads, wheel bearings, a full tranny flush/new filter, and probably a few other things here and there

The new owner should be pretty happy seeing how they won't have to do anything for a long long time since basically everything on the car in new.