PDA

View Full Version : Stages

Brooksthepro
01-11-2008, 03:16 PM
I hope i dont get flamed for this lol but i was wondering what EXACTALLY specifies what the three stages are. and what does the + or - means exactally? i know stage one is like chipped and 3 is BT. but what are the minimum requirements for each?

-Brooks

esss_pho
01-11-2008, 03:24 PM
Stfa

b5a4lover
01-11-2008, 03:26 PM
each company has their own. you talking about the APR stages?

TMorris
01-11-2008, 03:29 PM
Marketing tool used so that when you tell people you have a stg3 A4 they go "Oh wow" unlike if you said ive got an A4 running a Garrett gt28r turbo and go "What?"

Brooksthepro
01-11-2008, 03:29 PM
each company has their own. you talking about the APR stages?

yes. other companies would be good also.

stfa?

Brooksthepro
01-11-2008, 03:31 PM
Marketing tool used so that when you tell people you have a stg3 A4 they go "Oh wow" unlike if you said ive got an A4 running a Garrett gt28r turbo and go "What?"

so what would i be with a k04 w/hammer file? lol stage 12334+--=+

b5a4lover
01-11-2008, 03:36 PM
for a4's (IIRC) stage 1 is chip, stage 1+ chip and injectors, stage 2 i dunno probly just a term to make people who have an aftermarket exhaust feel special, stage 3 is their gt28r setup, stage 3+ (only for 01's) is their gt28rs setup.

for s4's

Stage 1 = chip
Stage 2 = chip + catback
Stage 2+ = chip + turboback
Stage 3 = Stage 2+ and bigger turbos
Stage 3+ = Created after a few people decided that the first three stages were too easy to understand. This can mean pretty much anything you want. We could make more stages, but we need to be able to flame n00bs for something so it's best for us to keep it confusing.

audiFUEGO
01-11-2008, 03:41 PM
^^ hahaha

ILoveT
01-11-2008, 04:10 PM
Where did that come from? I've read that before. Is that the thread where the guy is just dominating and making a really funny/informative post. If you're not talking about that I'll find it.

mike-2ptzero
01-11-2008, 04:33 PM
Where did that come from? I've read that before. Is that the thread where the guy is just dominating and making a really funny/informative post. If you're not talking about that I'll find it.

It is funny because this is NOT the B6 forum. There is NO such thing as a B5 K03, chip+injectors. Injectors are not needed till running a K04 or larger on the B5.

I would expect "b5A4lover" to know that already.[:p]

B5 A4 1.8t
stage 1 = chip
stage 1+= chip/chip and can include fmic/intake
stage 2 = low boost K04
stage 2+ = high boost K04 with FMIC/exhaust
Stage 3 = any BT setup
Anything after that really isn't a stage seeing that there are just too many mod options including built engine, built head, cams and BAT's.

esss_pho
01-11-2008, 04:42 PM
-Frequently Used Abbreviations/Definitions-

STFA - search the freaking archives (or other colorful word choice)
TBB - throttle body boot
DTS - drivetrain stabilizer
BPV - bypass valve
BOV - Blowoff valves
TPIWWOP - this post is worthless without pics
RTFM - read the freaking manual
VAG - the entity that owns volkswagon, audi, seat, and skoda
VAG-Com - a software package and tool to read your audi's computer and make changes to programming.
MY - model year
DIY - do it yourself
OT - off topic
P-car - Porsche
PITA - pain in the ass
GB - group buy
STFU - shut the f*&% up
X-Post - Cross post
ACCNA - audi car club north America
ECU - electronics control unit (the car's computer)
DTC - codes thrown by the car's ECU when it detects something wrong, help to diagnose problems
Tip - tiptronic transmission (automatic that has a manual shift mode)
DPs - downpipes

317ssayzarc
01-11-2008, 04:55 PM
apr stage is NOT a big turbo.. no fucking way, that thing is small to medium... 30 series is getting there and t4 flanged are big...

b5 guys are waaayyy behind... apr stage 3 is just the beginning to vw guys lol

Brooksthepro
01-11-2008, 05:07 PM
-Frequently Used Abbreviations/Definitions-

STFA - search the freaking archives (or other colorful word choice)
TBB - throttle body boot
DTS - drivetrain stabilizer
BPV - bypass valve
BOV - Blowoff valves
TPIWWOP - this post is worthless without pics
RTFM - read the freaking manual
VAG - the entity that owns volkswagon, audi, seat, and skoda
VAG-Com - a software package and tool to read your audi's computer and make changes to programming.
MY - model year
DIY - do it yourself
OT - off topic
P-car - Porsche
PITA - pain in the ass
GB - group buy
STFU - shut the f*&% up
X-Post - Cross post
ACCNA - audi car club north America
ECU - electronics control unit (the car's computer)
DTC - codes thrown by the car's ECU when it detects something wrong, help to diagnose problems
Tip - tiptronic transmission (automatic that has a manual shift mode)
DPs - downpipes

allright? what freaking archives? iv been searching the b5 forum for hours trying to find an answer and i didnt find it, so shoot me. This isnt a topic thats been beaten to death....[confused]

esss_pho
01-11-2008, 05:14 PM
there is a reason it hasnt been beaten to death :)

no one cares what "stage" you are or want to be classified as

b5a4lover
01-11-2008, 05:41 PM
It is funny because this is NOT the B6 forum. There is NO such thing as a B5 K03, chip+injectors. Injectors are not needed till running a K04 or larger on the B5.

I would expect "b5A4lover" to know that already.[:p]

B5 A4 1.8t
stage 1 = chip
stage 1+= chip/chip and can include fmic/intake
stage 2 = low boost K04
stage 2+ = high boost K04 with FMIC/exhaust
Stage 3 = any BT setup
Anything after that really isn't a stage seeing that there are just too many mod options including built engine, built head, cams and BAT's.

lol im so used to AF where there is only 1 A4 section. but thanx for clearing the stages up. tho my setup isn't listed. i'll be a stage 2+ as soon as i install this fmic[:D]

317ssayzarc
01-11-2008, 05:45 PM
what stage am i? what stage is paul (killa)? what stage is mike?

ILoveT
01-11-2008, 05:47 PM
"You were APR Stage 3, now your car is in peices, you are going for 400awhp or bust."

That covers you, not sure what Mike is though.

317ssayzarc
01-11-2008, 05:50 PM
haha, once im done? or paul?

my point is, stages dont mean shit... someone with a custom 2871 kit, what stage would they be?

just not feeling the stages...

NyteEscape
01-11-2008, 05:51 PM
im stage 13, + or - 2 stages.

no arguments or questions related to that.

317ssayzarc
01-11-2008, 05:53 PM

sweet dude [cool]

Brooksthepro
01-11-2008, 06:44 PM

hahahahahah

i dont care what stage i am. I just was allways confused about waht exactally the different stages ment specificaly

4ringAR
01-11-2008, 06:58 PM
the "stages" system can be useful when telling what your car has to non-car people. no, they dont know what it means, but it sure as hell sounds impressive to them.

mike-2ptzero
01-12-2008, 07:31 AM
"You were APR Stage 3, now your car is in peices, you are going for 400awhp or bust."

That covers you, not sure what Mike is though.

I haven't been listed at a stage since 2001, since then I am always adding to the car to add power so it is hard to list my car at anything.

Once you get past the stage 3 setup you really just say your whp. I am in the 600whp stage[:p]

Saying what whp your making is way more impressive at this point then telling someone what stage your at. Everytime someone asks and I answer 600whp their jaw drops. I just hope to be in the 650-700whp stage some time this year.

hahahahahah

i dont care what stage i am. I just was allways confused about waht exactally the different stages ment specificaly

The stages just told people stage turbo you were using. This is why stage 1 is K03, 2 is K04 and 3 is a GT28. The reason those are listed as stages is because most of those were sold as "kits". After stage 3 it is pretty much all about piecing it together and sourcing the tuning. The ultimate step is going stand alone.

NyteEscape
01-12-2008, 08:12 AM
The ultimate step is going stand alone.

which i've already done, hence the stage 13.

the stand alone i'm using is called bosch or something like that. i think it's one of the best out there. it even came with the car.

[:D]

mike-2ptzero
01-12-2008, 08:23 AM
which i've already done, hence the stage 13.

the stand alone i'm using is called bosch or something like that. i think it's one of the best out there. it even came with the car.

[:D]

LOL. Pretty good one.

BTW I think you forgot the "/" in your stage.[:p]

TQMB5
01-12-2008, 08:35 AM
apr stage is NOT a big turbo.. no fucking way, that thing is small to medium... 30 series is getting there and t4 flanged are big...

b5 guys are waaayyy behind... apr stage 3 is just the beginning to vw guys lol

why b/c we dont use turbo's way to big for our engine. Dont get me wrong i still think the b5 scene a little long, but i feel like it is coming along nicely jut by the number of people not going with the elim. The way i classify BT is according to engine size, just makes more sense.

mike-2ptzero
01-12-2008, 09:04 AM
why b/c we dont use turbo's way to big for our engine. Dont get me wrong i still think the b5 scene a little long, but i feel like it is coming along nicely jut by the number of people not going with the elim. The way i classify BT is according to engine size, just makes more sense.

What do you mean by too big?

Stampy
01-12-2008, 09:39 AM
boost gauge = stage 0.5

317ssayzarc
01-12-2008, 11:15 AM

whats wrong with a 3071r with a 3.5krpm+ length of powerband? spools at 4k-4.5k and pulls till 8k? you just need to learn how to drive the thing lol...

TQMB5
01-12-2008, 11:51 AM
What do you mean by too big?

sorry i should have clairified, some, (me included) are willing to sacrifice lower rpm power for big numbers, however most of the people are commuters who dont want to rev to redline all the time. im not saying people with big turbos are dumb, just means they want there car for different reasons.

TQMB5
01-12-2008, 11:52 AM
whats wrong with a 3071r with a 3.5krpm+ length of powerband? spools at 4k-4.5k and pulls till 8k? you just need to learn how to drive the thing lol...

right i hear you man, i just built my engine and i wont mind driving like that, but the majority of the people on here dont have a built engine and dont like spinning their engines that fast.

mike-2ptzero
01-12-2008, 01:34 PM
right i hear you man, i just built my engine and i wont mind driving like that, but the majority of the people on here dont have a built engine and dont like spinning their engines that fast.

The majority of the people that post on the forums "will" run their car to redline at some point they have the car. The majority of the people on the forums will not be running to 8k rpms because most wont be making power that high in the rpms, but all the people that build their setups to do so will do exactly that other wises it just becomes a huge waste of money/time. As time goes on more and more people are building their A4 1.8t to run up to 8k rpms with a nice large turbo that will put the power band that high and I am here to help them do that with the right parts at a great price [:D]

317ssayzarc
01-12-2008, 02:28 PM

you can spin to 8k on a stock motor and head, but if you plan on using a turbo that will make any boost at 8k, you will need rods...

mike-2ptzero
01-12-2008, 02:32 PM
you can spin to 8k on a stock motor and head, but if you plan on using a turbo that will make any boost at 8k, you will need rods...

Oh so true. But to make any real power at 8k rpms some head work is going to be needed and maybe even some IM work to get better flow.

317ssayzarc
01-12-2008, 02:38 PM
Oh so true. But to make any real power at 8k rpms some head work is going to be needed and maybe even some IM work to get better flow.

rods?.... check
headwork?.... check
intake mani?... check

i got it covered mike [;)]

mike-2ptzero
01-12-2008, 03:30 PM
rods?.... check
headwork?.... check
intake mani?... check

i got it covered mike [;)]

Oh I know. I just didn't want people to go out and try to rev their car to 8k because you said they could. [:p]

Oh wait I think that little thing called a "rev limiter" will keep them from doing that.[:D]

317ssayzarc
01-12-2008, 03:32 PM
Oh I know. I just didn't want people to go out and try to rev their car to 8k because you said they could. [:p]

if their software lets them, they could do it... itll only make like 100whp with a k0x though lol

Solaris
01-12-2008, 09:03 PM

Stock valvetrain can safely go to 8k? I thought 7500 is as high as you want to take it.

317ssayzarc
01-12-2008, 09:11 PM
Stock valvetrain can safely go to 8k? I thought 7500 is as high as you want to take it.

nope... 8k is fine... vw guys have been going to 9k on hydros with no problems [eek]

but the 9k guys run cams so they probably threw in high rate springs while they were at it

mike-2ptzero
01-13-2008, 09:10 AM

Yes the stock valvetrain can go to 8k before having valve float issues which I got once I started going past 8k which can be seeing on my old JE pistons that I removed when I had 034 rebuild my engine.

To go past 8k rpms you will want to upgrade to a good after market valve spring/retainer setup. I am now running aftermarket parts and have no issues running to 8500 rpms.