PDA

View Full Version : People who own a 97 A4 1.8T - do you need to press the clutch to start the car?

pac1085
01-10-2008, 11:46 AM
I don't. Just wondering if its supposed to be that way or not.

Please don't reply unless you have a 97 or have driven one.

grip_racer
01-10-2008, 11:54 AM
i'll check today when I leave for class and post when I get back

SFexBOY
01-10-2008, 12:14 PM
a friend of mine yrs back had a 97 1.8T. He drove mine and was wondering why I had to press the clutch to start. His wasn't like that.

b5a4lover
01-10-2008, 12:16 PM
thats weird, i was under the impression you had to do that with all manual cars

killa
01-10-2008, 12:33 PM
some cars have switch on top of the clutch pedal, some dont. You can just bypass the switch and being good to go.

kingtr
01-10-2008, 12:39 PM
thats weird, i was under the impression you had to do that with all manual cars

Should be that way, I know of a mid 90's Audi (model slips my mind) which you do not have to push clutch. I know because the car was in 1st gear, a girl in the PASSENGER seat turned the key to start car up and it drove over a parking bump and got stuck in a mud pit (basically front tires (FWD Audi) were in mud, with rear tires wedged against parking bump)

End result I had to tow it out with my Jeep. I think it was 1995 model, so I wouldnt be surprised if 1997 was no different..

SeanF
01-10-2008, 12:58 PM
i didnt have to on my 97 either...

Vreihenmotor6
01-10-2008, 12:58 PM
I have a 97 AEB and I don't have to press the clutch to start the car, originaly I thought my clutch switch was broken cause my cruise also doesn't work, but I can't seem to find the clutch switch, and I've been informed that the early A4s didn't even have a clutch switch (makes it easier to install the remote start I've been eyeing.....)

Black_97 A4
01-10-2008, 01:02 PM
I don't press the clutch...as long as its in neutral..

pac1085
01-10-2008, 01:09 PM
I have a 97 AEB and I don't have to press the clutch to start the car, originaly I thought my clutch switch was broken cause my cruise also doesn't work, but I can't seem to find the clutch switch, and I've been informed that the early A4s didn't even have a clutch switch (makes it easier to install the remote start I've been eyeing.....)

Thats why I was wondering, because my cruise doesn't work. I'd still stay away from remote start, if you start it in gear and run someone over, you're fucked big time.

This Is Epic
01-10-2008, 01:13 PM
Thats why I was wondering, because my cruise doesn't work. I'd still stay away from remote start, if you start it in gear and run someone over, you're fucked big time.

Or worse run it through your garage. [eek]

Vreihenmotor6
01-10-2008, 01:23 PM

I'd get a compstar and it has all the manual trans saftey features

SeanF
01-10-2008, 01:37 PM

well... speaking from experience... i had a remote start on my a4, and it was a manual...

i tried starting it in gear one time, with the ebrake on, and then the ebrake off... to see what damage it would cause if something were infront of it...

with the ebrake on, it lurched forward about 6" every second... with the ebrake off, it was more like 2 feet...

its not gonna go flying down the road though...

b5a4lover
01-10-2008, 01:47 PM
why wouldn't it stall out?

Grangalan
01-10-2008, 02:06 PM
The car doesnt start, its the starter turning over that would make the car go forward.

whoace
01-10-2008, 03:27 PM
Most cars either have a Neutral or a Clutch Safety Switch. Ignition wont engage unless the relay is live. I know mk2 vws and mk4 diesel dubs don't have a safety switch but I know my B5 has one. Not sure about yours.

I'd get a compstar and it has all the manual trans saftey features

Compustar has a thing called "Reserve Mode" where you have to leave your car in neutral and have the ebrake engaged to be able to remote start your car. Only works if the alarm was installed properly.

On a separate note. Anyone have a wiring diagram to install remote starter onto a 2001. I have a compustar sitting in my trunk.