PDA

View Full Version : Bad MAF

wallabeex
01-10-2008, 10:51 AM
My 2001 A4 1.8T just recently tossed up a "Check Engine Light". Brought it to the shop and they're saying it's running too lean due to a dying MAF. My experience with VW's is that these are typically pretty easy to replace and not really worth paying garage part prices and labor. Is this true with the A4 as well? Would also appreciate a recommendation for a reputable store to buy the part from ..

Thanks.

whoace
01-10-2008, 04:39 PM
What code is being spit out? If the MAF is failing, your car would have a very unstable idle and would spit our a MAF specific code. If your car is still running stable and the code is saying your running lean, I would go more towards a failing O2 sensor.

Changing the MAF is super simple. Part will run you about $100-150. Just make sure you get a Bosch MAF and you should be ok. Doesn't matter what store you buy from.

dannslc
01-10-2008, 11:19 PM
I recently changed mine for a running lean code. My cars idle was fine. I changed the maf (very easy btw) and the problem was gone.

wallabeex
01-11-2008, 01:51 PM
The mechanic's handwriting is a little bad, so bear with me: P1128/17536. He claimed that was typically the MAF, wanted $250 to replace it, I told him I'd hold off for the time being. I wasn't noticing an unstable idle, but it did smell a little rich when it was running. Not awfully, but just enough to notice it. I run 93.

Ewok_Fetus
01-13-2008, 06:21 AM
What code is being spit out? If the MAF is failing, your car would have a very unstable idle and would spit our a MAF specific code. If your car is still running stable and the code is saying your running lean, I would go more towards a failing O2 sensor.

Changing the MAF is super simple. Part will run you about $100-150. Just make sure you get a Bosch MAF and you should be ok. Doesn't matter what store you buy from.

The 2001's will not have a bad idle... They have a MAP sensor that will compensate for the MAF... My MAF goes out all the time and all I get is a CEL for it plus a ton of power is lost...

Fier Ringe
01-15-2008, 01:47 PM

Please refrain from making misinformed technical comments from now on. Check for intake leaks first and if there aren't any then replace you MAF yourself. Call Brian at Avalon Motorsports for the part. 303-400-3001 I got one for an 01 1.8t for $165 IIRC, a different year might be more or less and this was like 6 mo. ago so price might be different.

stunner247
01-15-2008, 04:41 PM
MAF's don't go bad that much, Check for vaccum leaks from the hoses comign off the intake manifold

Ewok_Fetus
01-15-2008, 04:49 PM
MAF's don't go bad that much, Check for vaccum leaks from the hoses comign off the intake manifold

I kinda call bs on this... But yes, also check for vacuum leaks... MAF's go bad on VW's and Audi's more than any other car I have seen!

stunner247
01-15-2008, 08:34 PM
I am not saying that the MAF can't be bad but here are alot of other things that can cause a lean fault espeicaly on an 01 such as the vaccum leaks and the secondary air system. we need to no if the fault is durring idle or not. if it is additive (during idle) then it is most likely a vaccum leak, if it is multiplicitive (not idle, all other times) then it is probly a MAF

stunner247
01-15-2008, 08:41 PM
sorry, I ment EVAP not secondary air