PDA

View Full Version : Having lots of problems with my Tie-rod...HelP

Crisqo
08-16-2004, 10:41 PM
Okay...I finished one side in half hour..

The other side....I've been working on it for at least 4 hours, and I still can't get it off....

I finally got all the bolts off the TR after a bit of help from a torch....

Now, I got the TR out of the Upper mount and the problem is now I am unable to screw it out from the steering axle\rack..
The nut that is on the TR is loose, but the TR is not moving at all....I'm literally bending the entire TR assembly, but the threads that *suppose* to turn out doesn't come out..

Any suggestions???
I can't heat it up in there, right? Since its close to brake lines and CV boots..?[:(]

Daft
08-17-2004, 07:54 AM
The large threaded shaft that the TR end sits on can be heated up. Just do it quickly and and keep the heat away from the TR boot. You will need a way to hold that shaft while turning the TR end. Inside that boot is another large nut. If you want, you can open the clamp on the boot and hold the other nut with a open-end wrench while grabbing the TR end with a set of channel-locks and turning it. If you grab the threaded section with something, you'll flatten the treads and adjusting the toe setting won't be possible anymore.

http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/620TR_boot.gif

http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/620TR_boot_open.gif

Crisqo
08-17-2004, 08:27 PM
I turned it....
and the TR assembly came apart after I heated it..
The threaded part of the TR is still stuck to the inner TR...and the other part of the outter TR has came loose....

What a day...
So, I have no time to work on this anymore, since I skipped work today and thoght I could finish it...
so I callled a Tow truck and car is now at my mechanic...

=(

xburbx
08-17-2004, 09:52 PM
damn, i have 86k on my tie rods and im starting in a week, im nervous as hell b/c its supposed to be so easy and everyone has trouble

wakko
08-18-2004, 12:18 AM
I have a LOT of trouble getting the TRE out of the axle as well. my 0.02c is really just spraying PB blaster and lots of elbow grease. Definitely should allocate more time to do this job

VRsic
08-18-2004, 12:26 AM
Damn Wakko, thats a sic looking ride!