PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me, or...

lml999
01-10-2008, 03:39 AM
do the B5 A4 xenons stink?

They seem to throw a *lot* less light than the allroad xenons on my C5 A6.

Do the ecode xenons perform better?

Anybody find an upgrade that provides better low beam lighting?

DGAFxxx
01-10-2008, 06:09 AM
Yeah I think the OEM Xenon's stink. MY Acura TL has Xenons that throw a ton more light than my b5.

anonymous6915
01-10-2008, 05:37 PM
so is there any way to make them better? or do we just get stuck with sucky lighting?...

DSM 2 Avant
01-10-2008, 05:52 PM
Most of our headlights have a good amount of pitting and imperfections on the housing lenses due to age and mileage.

I hit mine with a PC 7424 and 3M rubbing compound which made a noticeable difference in light output.

This procedure should make even more of an impact:

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=181134

Das General
01-10-2008, 05:52 PM
I swapped out my lights for some e-codes coupled with a 55watt 5000k HID setup and I am brighter than any OEM setup..

DSM 2 Avant
01-10-2008, 05:53 PM
I swapped out my lights for some e-codes coupled with a 55watt 5000k HID setup and I am brighter than any OEM setup..

Where did you get the 55w setup?

Have any links?

Das General
01-10-2008, 06:10 PM
i got it off a group buy in a subi forum. the brand is apexcone

Euro
01-10-2008, 06:11 PM
yeahhhhhh They blow.

I dont have fogs right now [due to a s4 bumper] and i cant see a thing. when its snowy and rainy its REALLY bad.

Jared71482
01-10-2008, 06:17 PM
Some good clear headlight lenses help big time... if yours are pitted it will effect the light output quite a bit.

Ecode headlights use the same exact projectors just with a different cutoff shield... no gain in light output there.

Jared71482
01-10-2008, 06:18 PM
Yeah I think the OEM Xenon's stink. MY Acura TL has Xenons that throw a ton more light than my b5.

2nd or 3rd gen TL? The 3rd gen TLs have amazing light output due to great projectors... unfortunatly they are too large to stuff into a B5 headlight!

Das General
01-10-2008, 06:23 PM
Ecode headlights use the same exact projectors just with a different cutoff shield... no gain in light output there.

I disagree. I noticed a great improvement overall with the light output when I added my e-codes. The beam pattern is not only tighter, it also stretches farther down the road.

Stampy
01-10-2008, 07:57 PM
I don't know if they suck. I think it might have more to do with the aiming. I have mine set to what they are supposed to be at and I am not happy. When I set them to what I think I want, I end up adjusting them all the time. So I just went to audi adjustment and called it a day. They seem to have a shorter range than everything else next to me. I am rocking RS4 Ecodes that I bought from this dude when I was in Italy like a year ago. So I guess mine are better than USDA, but yeah.....Its not great. Keep in mind though guys, this is like first gen HID/projector tech for audi.... The newer stuff is def better

Jared71482
01-10-2008, 08:33 PM
I disagree. I noticed a great improvement overall with the light output when I added my e-codes. The beam pattern is not only tighter, it also stretches farther down the road.

you also mentioned you have a high wattage HID kit... aiming helps too.

They are identical projectors... trust me.

Stampy
01-10-2008, 09:39 PM
same projectors, different cutoff patterns. Changing bulbs helps a little too. I know the Bulbs that were in my RS4 lights were old as hell. They just seemed dim. So I changed to a new set and that helped a little.

Jared71482
01-10-2008, 09:43 PM
same projectors, different cutoff patterns. Changing bulbs helps a little too. I know the Bulbs that were in my RS4 lights were old as hell. They just seemed dim. So I changed to a new set and that helped a little.

Yes, this would also help. Unlike halogen bulbs... hid bulbs do lose brightness over time, as well as turn really purple (most noticable in reflector HID setups like older Acura TLs or Benz E class) If you have considerable mileage on your car and it was driven alot at night, a fresh pair of OE bulbs will make a difference.

BrokeDown[20V]
01-10-2008, 10:12 PM
The stock Xenons are not the best, but the fogs help alot[up]

Das General
01-10-2008, 10:16 PM
you also mentioned you have a high wattage HID kit... aiming helps too.

They are identical projectors... trust me.

nope...went from one HID kit on OEM s4 housings to the e-code housings and noticed a great improvement. only change was the housings...no aiming was changed.

BrokeDown[20V]
01-10-2008, 10:18 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but dont the eCodes have glass housings? I would think glass projects light better then plastic would.

Jared71482
01-10-2008, 10:30 PM
pre face lift cars (with 2 piece headlights) had glass lenses... all 1 piece lights are plastic lenses.

BrokeDown[20V]
01-10-2008, 10:33 PM
Even the eCodes[Germany]? I know the US Spec lights are plastic.

Das General
01-10-2008, 10:37 PM
all housings are plastic

BrokeDown[20V]
01-10-2008, 10:39 PM
Good to know[up]. Here I thought differnt.[:(]

brlukosk
01-11-2008, 09:05 AM
I dont think that the stock xenons suck..

A lot of people have been retrofitting them for quite some time in other cars for custom setups. They (valeo projectors) were known to have the some of the best color at the cutoff.

As far as distance and the sharpness of the cutoff and light output they are kind of low. A majority of the problems that hinder output are pitted/dirty housings, but most importantly the actual lense of the projector can get quite dirty over time.

The best way to upgrade the output on a stock setup would be to replace the stock valeo fresnel lenses with clear e-code lenses. You could also swap out the cutoff sheilds if you can find them.

This will give you e-code output without the cost of the sawp.

The clear e-code lenses can sometimes be found on hidplanet, or ebay. The sheilds are very hard to come by from my experience.

m5racer
01-11-2008, 09:55 AM
honestly i think that my xenons are great in my 01. my firend with a ttp got some used lights and said that they were much nicee and bluer then his old ones but when i pulled my car becide his mine had a nicer bluer tint and were also brighter, but i much say the plastic is still in pretty good shape and doesnt have a crazy amount of rock chips or anything pluss my car only has 83km on it so

onemoremile
01-11-2008, 01:29 PM
The stock lights in the S4 were great other than a glitch causing them to constantly aim down a little too much. The lighting in my A4 with hid kit and now S4 lights with full S4 guts are still great. There may be better lighting systems on the market but these are still above average. In no way would I go so far as to say that they suck.

The Honda projectors were designed here in town by Gary at 360p. They did the optical analysis and design and whatnot. He's got a working cutaway assembly in his office. Cool stuff.

Tiluleshpingen
01-11-2008, 03:36 PM
I don't know if they suck. I think it might have more to do with the aiming. I have mine set to what they are supposed to be at and I am not happy. When I set them to what I think I want, I end up adjusting them all the time. So I just went to audi adjustment and called it a day. They seem to have a shorter range than everything else next to me. I am rocking RS4 Ecodes that I bought from this dude when I was in Italy like a year ago. So I guess mine are better than USDA, but yeah.....Its not great. Keep in mind though guys, this is like first gen HID/projector tech for audi.... The newer stuff is def better

you have any pics fo those?

Flyboy64
01-11-2008, 04:22 PM
Some HID's can be modded to increase the wattage but it greatly effects the lifetime of the units.

Stampy
01-11-2008, 11:40 PM
you have any pics fo those?

I'll try and get you some tomorrow. Im too drunk right now