PDA

View Full Version : new battery installed, lights still on.

mnsirtee
01-09-2008, 10:04 PM
my battery light just turned on today, i was on my way to autozone and my car was completely drain out of power. after complemented by a police officer in the middle of the road, i had the battery changed with a new one. now the light is still on, any ideas?

Jared71482
01-09-2008, 10:08 PM
alternator.

the light may have a battery on it, but its a fault light for the charging system as well.

mnsirtee
01-10-2008, 12:21 AM
it seems like a lot of people with a dead battery usually have alternator problems as well. do they break down at the same time? is there anything else i should look into before i spend $200 on a alternator? i had no problem with the alternator in the past, it just happened all of a sudden. car turns on with no problem with the new battery.

i was driving at night when this happened, i can see the light get dimer and dimer and it just completely drain. my engine was still on and the rev jumped to 2500-3000rmp before i turn it off.

mnsirtee
01-10-2008, 12:32 AM

black00A4
01-10-2008, 04:34 AM
Ya its your alternator, basically your car is running off your battery and draining all the power. Your old battery might have been good just fully drained.

SFexBOY
01-10-2008, 04:42 AM
yup that might have been a waste to buy a new battery.

whoace
01-10-2008, 04:18 PM
yup that might have been a waste to buy a new battery.

If your battery has been fully discharged, then it is likely that the plates have become sulphated which would mean you would need a new battery anyways. Get the charging system AVR'd. Most likely it is the alternator but it could be something as simple as a bad connection. You won't know for sure until you see how many amps your alternator is pushing out.

mnsirtee
01-11-2008, 01:43 AM
i just went to autozone and had it tested there. at 2000rpm the alternator voltage was a bit higher then the battery. it was not charging the battery but draining it.

are those autozone & kragen alternator any good? autozone sells duralast and kragen autolite. or should i just stick with oem? thanks

One last questions, concerning the lower bolt of the alternator, do i need to remove the radiator and fan? i had search many forums and some claim they can remove alternator without removing front.

bastosmafka
01-11-2008, 01:48 AM
dude you're alternators shot. listen man. haha

creechsa4
01-11-2008, 02:01 AM
you can do an alternator without removing the front end. just have to remove your serpentine & self tensioner so it's easier access. definitely unplug your battery. the B+ wire on the alternator is hot & will short out if you touch ground. remove alternator bolts then pull to the side, then you can access the wires to remove i believe it's 13mm & 8mm. then you're golden.

mnsirtee
01-11-2008, 01:43 PM
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2163578#post2163578

does this method work in removing the viscus fan? the fan is blocking me from taking the bottom bolt off.