PDA

View Full Version : radio install / dash kit question

iin10ded
01-09-2008, 08:55 PM
1. i can't believe i'm asking this.
2. i can't believe i've been searching here and on az for an hour and i can't find a singe piece of useful information.

the scosche kit i got sucks. it doesn't fit the dash trim panel [it's slightly larger than the opening in the dash].

more worryingly, the 'mounting kit' doesn't 'mount' the head at all - the head just 'floats' in the dash and has nothing securing it fore/aft. is this normal / tolerated? or am i a monkey overlooking something obvious [not the first time]? i don't see this issue raised in any of the threads i've found on radio installs. i was hoping to avoid fabricating something but it's looking that way.

the good news is the radio is wired and works great - fm is decent tho not as good as stock, with amplified adapter. also the new ipod connectivity alpine has built in is very nice. MUCH better than icelink. and the ads separates i mounted in the doors and rear deck sound brilliant. humbling that i'm having issues with the crap fit kit.

audiFUEGO
01-09-2008, 09:01 PM
my metra was like that... only secures the front of the holding bracket. The back of my headunit just floats in mid air... but i figure the plastic is storng enough to hold it and its been good for a few weeks.

iin10ded
01-09-2008, 09:21 PM
hmm.. so the radio cage is mounted [bending the tabs] to the metra? sounds more robust than the scosche. does the radio cage fit into the metra? on the scosche it's meant to basically trim the space - it isn't a 'mount' at all, just 'trim'. lame.

i'm probably going to build some kind of a bracket to iso-mount the head and then mod the scosche trim to fit. as it is you could just slide the radio out of the dash.

Jared71482
01-09-2008, 10:05 PM
for the pre face lift cars, all dash kits are just a trim piece. The sleeve that comes with your aftermarket radio holds the radio in the dash... you can get a few of the tabs to lock into the dash. Make sure to use spacers around the sleeve if needed, my alpine 9835 needed a spacer in my 96 so that when I opened the face it did not hit the trim piece. The radio support in the dash is quite strong and supports any radio just fine.

Certain trim pieces are better than others... I tried 2 different ones in my 96 and one was much better than the other... one was just a flat piece of plastic basically... the other had more of a box shape and fit the dash much nicer...

Good one -->http://cgi.ebay.com/RADIO-INSTALL-DASH-KIT-1996-UP-AUDI-A4-A6-A8-DIN-RADIO_W0QQitemZ330177508012QQihZ014QQcategoryZ8580 6QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQtrksidZp1638.m118.l1247Q QcmdZViewItem

Not so good one -->http://cgi.ebay.com/1998-1999-Audi-A4-Avant-Wagon-Radio-Install-Dash-Kit_W0QQitemZ230143772354QQihZ013QQcategoryZ85806Q QrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQtrksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQc mdZViewItem

Stampy
01-09-2008, 10:32 PM
This is what backstraps are for

iin10ded
01-09-2008, 10:42 PM
thanks i appreciate the tips. on my 98 [i think it's facelifted, it has scars] with the alpine flush with the dash, there's nothing to lock the cage tabs onto. in order to get the cage tabs to catch on something, i have to push the alpine back about 1/2" into the din slot.

ill get the metra piece - it looks a little beefier. if that doesn't work i'm on a fast train to custom-bracket city.

iin10ded
01-09-2008, 10:49 PM
This is what backstraps are for

backstraps are used to support the rear of the radio. the radio also needs to be securely mounted in the front - i.e. the cage is mounted such that it can't move back and forth which prevents the radio from moving back as you press buttons, and makes it a little harder for thieves to liberate.

in this car there's no need for a backstrap because the rear of the radio is held in the din slot. what i'm looking for is if there's a trick that's not obvious to me to securing the front of the head unit.