PDA

View Full Version : cigarette lighter

Calisto
01-09-2008, 03:22 PM
since i bought the car it seems like its stuck shut. It seems like you would just push it and it would pop open but that didnt work so i tried prying it off and the little plastic/leather piece popped off the metal frame and i still have no cigarette lighter please help

thanks in advance

Calisto
01-09-2008, 07:50 PM
bump!

Euro-Tuner
01-09-2008, 08:03 PM
you mean the lighter itself, or the flip thing that its in? (if your car is a facelift) if the lighter isnt popping out its not plugged in, or simply not getting power, it only pops out when it warms up

Calisto
01-10-2008, 04:13 AM
ya i cant get it to pop out, I just need somewhere to plug in my radar detector, so i need to wait for the car to warm up before I do that?

Edit: it is a post facelift, 1999.5

Euro-Tuner
01-10-2008, 05:08 AM
not the car, the lighter, if its not popping out, that means its not electrically connected, so its not getting red-hot. your gonna have to yank your center console apart and see if its getting any power with a volt meter and check the connection to make sure its connected

so even if you pry the cig lighter out, your detector wont be getting power either when you plug that in

This Is Epic
01-10-2008, 05:53 AM
I'm confused, I think he's saying he cant get the piece to flip open to even get to see his lighter.

Cronogr
01-10-2008, 07:20 AM
blown fuse :) check ur fuses (it's some of the ones writing 15 on them :P) i had the same problem on my b5 change the fuse and everything was ok :P

Calisto
01-10-2008, 09:11 AM
right i cant even get it to flip open to see it

Flyboy64
01-10-2008, 09:54 AM
You may need to get to the flip mechanism and that will only be done by removing the center console where it is located. It can be removed by a few bolts under the cup holder, sides and back underneath the rear ashtray. If you need it just to plug in your radar detector you may want to hard wire to a proper power source under the dash. Hope that helps!

Calisto
01-10-2008, 09:58 AM
ya i need it for a few things (radar, phone, gps) otherwise i would hardwire it

so i just need to take out the console and check it out?

Flyboy64
01-10-2008, 10:11 AM
Yeah just remove the center console and see what its hanging on. My lighter was stuck in the down position and I had to free it this way. You will want to hard wire the radar detector to free up the cig lighter for cell and such. just my .02

A4Shizzle
01-10-2008, 01:28 PM
I had to do that once too, but the second time it happend, I was able to slide a really thin peice of metal (think nail file) in there and push the lighter back into the outlet so it would flip up again. What happens is that the lighter sometimes falls out of the outlet when its sideways (flipped down) and prevents the whole mechanism from flipping back up.

auto_euroticaA4
01-10-2008, 03:08 PM
blown fuse :) check ur fuses (it's some of the ones writing 15 on them :P) i had the same problem on my b5 change the fuse and everything was ok :P

yup, thats definitly it. had the same issue a few months ago.