PDA

View Full Version : audiracers4

boostedup
01-09-2008, 03:14 PM
just trying to get your attention, since i believe you have the same catch can i have, and would like your help on install, maybe some pics of your install and where the hoses get routed to. TIA

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g213/vivaaron/NEW%20Car%20part/oil%20ctach%20tank/2-5.jpg

AudiRacerS4
01-09-2008, 03:42 PM
yeah i have teh same catch can lemme find a pic real quick of it

boostedup
01-09-2008, 03:46 PM
yeah i have teh same catch can lemme find a pic real quick of it

thanx man, i appreciate your help, maybe you can help me install it. because im being told i would have to cut and weld, but i know you had the same one and said it was a 5 minute install with only a screwdriver needed[wrench]

so any help is appreciated, im pretty mechanically inclined, just not too familiar with pcv systems, especially turbo ones.

AudiRacerS4
01-09-2008, 03:48 PM
lemme get a pic of mine so i can show you

LEGO
01-09-2008, 03:54 PM
I have the same one. I mounted it near my cone intake and hooked it up where the pancake valve attaches. Basically replaced the pancake valve. One end goes to the metal pipe that goes over the exhaust mani and turbo and the other end goes into the intake. At least that is how I hooked mine up. When I took my pancake valve out, there was a bunch of oil in it, so if the catch can catches all that oil, my intercooler piping should be much cleaner inside.

mike-2ptzero
01-09-2008, 03:56 PM
I have the same one. I mounted it near my cone intake and hooked it up where the pancake valve attaches. Basically replaced the pancake valve. One end goes to the metal pipe that goes over the exhaust mani and turbo and the other end goes into the intake. At least that is how I hooked mine up. When I took my pancake valve out, there was a bunch of oil in it, so if the catch can catches all that oil, my intercooler piping should be much cleaner inside.

How did you attach the catch can small hose to the 1" hard pipe? I think that is the only issue he is going to run into since those catch cans come with fittings/hose that are 15mm or smaller.

LEGO
01-09-2008, 04:13 PM
Well it comes with metal reducers but they are way too small. Just get some larger reducers like the ones included and it should work. When I installed mine I took the pancake valve out, took a rubber hose that the included reducers fit in, put the reducer in one end, and the other end I put into the hose that the pancake valve was in and tightened it with a clamp. So catch can, included hose, reducer, larger rubber hose, stock pancake valve hose, metal pcv pipe. Intake side was, catch can, reducer, larger hose, then that hose into the intake hole where the pancake went. I put clamps on all the connection points and tightened them up pretty well. I haven't seen any leaks yet, but it's been like that for around a week now. I'm going to get some larger reducers though so that I won't have to put a small hose in a larger hose cause I just don't know how long that will hold and not leak. I put some steel wool in the bottom of the catch can cause it seems like there is nothing in there. I mounted it behind my headlight next to my intake. Does this sound like it should work mike? Cause I pulled out the catch can and there isn't anything in there.

AudiRacerS4
01-09-2008, 04:24 PM
i used some 2in hose with a reducer

boostedup
01-09-2008, 04:39 PM
did u find those pics so u can point out exactly where the hoses go connected to?

AudiRacerS4
01-09-2008, 04:44 PM
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/tooxtreme8813/IMG_0680.jpg

LEGO
01-09-2008, 04:46 PM
Audiracer, that's just how I cut my pcv metal pipe and where I mounted my catch can. I see you're still using the pancake valve, are there any benefits to doing that? Cause I just took mine out and connected straight to the intake.

audiFUEGO
01-09-2008, 04:46 PM
what does this thing do now?

and kyle that heat material looks bomb! where from? is it only offered in gold?

AudiRacerS4
01-09-2008, 04:57 PM

yeah it only comes in gold alain its aerospace heat shielding from http://store.cdoc.com/products.asp?str=2000-0316-0355&name=Gold+Foil+Protective+Film

audiFUEGO
01-09-2008, 05:04 PM
thanks [up]

boostedup
01-09-2008, 05:05 PM
ok, so the right hose is going directly to the pancake valve. (with a T-fitting? or directly). and the other one is going to the metal pcv hard pipe (did you actually have to saw that off because my hard line is much larger than that.......

boostedup
01-09-2008, 05:09 PM

it catches oil and water moisture from blow-by, and stops it from recirculating into your intake tract and SMIC/FMIC, thus helpin to keep all that crap out of there, you then empty it out periodically. this specific one has a small tube on the side of it to show you how full it is.

boostedup
01-09-2008, 05:15 PM
well i just ordered this intake too, which should be here in a day or 2

http://www.maxspeed-motorsports.com/mmpics/tcaudi1.jpg
http://www.maxspeed-motorsports.com/mmpics/A402A.jpg

so if you can, could u take close up pics of how you connected it to the pancake valve and let me know if you actually had to cut that hard line off....

audiFUEGO
01-09-2008, 09:03 PM
so is this a good mod for any setup?

mike-2ptzero
01-09-2008, 10:26 PM
so is this a good mod for any setup?

Yes because it keeps oil from being pushed back into your IC pipes and into the cylinders. The stock setup allows the oil to build up in your SMIC or FMIC causing it to block and restrict the amount of air flow which means power decreases.

spxxx
01-09-2008, 10:31 PM
well i just ordered this intake too, which should be here in a day or 2

http://www.maxspeed-motorsports.com/mmpics/tcaudi1.jpg
http://www.maxspeed-motorsports.com/mmpics/A402A.jpg

so if you can, could u take close up pics of how you connected it to the pancake valve and let me know if you actually had to cut that hard line off....

where did you buy this intake? For the right price i might buy that instead of building my own.

LEGO
01-09-2008, 10:45 PM
Boosted, he cut the metal pipe. I did that to mine too because if you don't cut it, they are way too close together. Just hard to work in a little tight spot.

boostedup
01-09-2008, 11:34 PM
thanx for all the help guys........everything is perfectly clear now. Very easy, just didn't want to install it till i was positive of which lines to hook up 2 it. I'll probably do this 2morrow.

AudiRacerS4
01-09-2008, 11:37 PM
yeah its a very easy install

boostedup
01-09-2008, 11:41 PM
i'm surprised more people don't have this mod. Considering that it's very cheap to do (can be done for under 30$), easy to do. And it's like preventative measures to stop problems in the future.

audiFUEGO
01-10-2008, 07:56 AM
how do u clear an already clogged intake tract?

mike-2ptzero
01-10-2008, 08:06 AM
how do u clear an already clogged intake tract?

Are you asking how to clean it?

ct1.8t4me
01-10-2008, 08:30 AM
Are these catch cans Ebay items? Any more details? This looks nice.

audiFUEGO
01-10-2008, 08:49 AM
Are you asking how to clean it?

yea i guess you can say that, I mean whats the likelihood of the intake tract clogging up anyways? I haven't been running a catch can for the life of my new tract (about 6 months). is my shiz clogging? Do you recommend cleaning the tract when you do finally install a can? and whats the best way to clean [:p]

audiFUEGO
01-10-2008, 09:03 AM
is this one ok?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OIL-CATCH-TANK-CAN-B-VW-GOLF-JETTA-GTI-A3-A4-E30-E46_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ46098QQihZ018QQitem Z280189313216QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Also, does having this mean you have to top your oil off every so often?

mike-2ptzero
01-10-2008, 09:18 AM
yea i guess you can say that, I mean whats the likelihood of the intake tract clogging up anyways? I haven't been running a catch can for the life of my new tract (about 6 months). is my shiz clogging? Do you recommend cleaning the tract when you do finally install a can? and whats the best way to clean [:p]

Yes it is wise to clean it because the crank case breather allows oil vapor to get into the IC pipes and clog the SMIC/FMIC. This will be increased the more often you take the car to redline since the pressure in the crank increases along with the rpm.

dingguhlbary
01-15-2008, 10:07 PM
wait, so how do you clean the intake tract? and is that ebay catch can ok?

mike-2ptzero
01-15-2008, 10:26 PM
wait, so how do you clean the intake tract? and is that ebay catch can ok?

By removing the parts and running gas or carb cleaner thru them.

audiFUEGO - not any more then you do now. You will have to empty the catch can every oil change which is better then having to clean your IC pipes all the time.

dingguhlbary
01-16-2008, 11:39 AM
ok thanks