PDA

View Full Version : New Depo headlights - question

ct1.8t4me
01-08-2008, 12:04 PM
I just got new headlights and I'm having trouble getting them lined up properly. I understand that there are adjustment screws and the slots in the mounting points for rough adjustment, but I also have found a few references to "shipping plugs" being installed that may prevent proper adjustment.

They are DEPO headlights - nothing crazy. What is this shipping plug and what's the deal? The instructions that come with the light are written in ENGRISH and I can't figure out WTF they are talking about. I have removed the metal brackets that were attached for shipping, but not sure about the shipping plug thing. Do I need to remove them in order to adjust? Wouldn't that create a hole in the back of the housing once removed?

What's the deal?

Thanks!

generik777
01-08-2008, 01:31 PM
I don't remember removing any type of plug when I installed mine. All that I removed was the metal brackets. And yeah the instructions that they sent aren't very good. I didn't even use them.

a88fl1
01-08-2008, 09:56 PM
The only thing I could think of is that maybe there is something inside the housing to keep the lense from moving around.

ct1.8t4me
01-09-2008, 06:46 AM
I think I got it - I moved the headlights as far up as I could by loosening the mounting screws. This gave me a good general position to work with the fine adjustment. Left the "shipping plug" where it was...

iin10ded
01-09-2008, 11:05 AM
the shipping plug goes inside the headlight where the motorized adjuster would sit. looking at the back of the light, it's on the bottom left corner of the housing. without it, or an adjusting motor, the whole internal housing will move as it's hinged on the top, to allow the headlights vertical adjustment.

the adjusters for aiming are on the top of the light - 2 phillips head screws. 1 is for vert, 1 is for horiz. theres a good writeup on aiming here:

http://www.modifieda4.com/web/tech/headlight-aiming.html

ct1.8t4me
01-09-2008, 11:25 AM
the shipping plug goes inside the headlight where the motorized adjuster would sit. looking at the back of the light, it's on the bottom left corner of the housing. without it, or an adjusting motor, the whole internal housing will move as it's hinged on the top, to allow the headlights vertical adjustment.

the adjusters for aiming are on the top of the light - 2 phillips head screws. 1 is for vert, 1 is for horiz. theres a good writeup on aiming here:

http://www.modifieda4.com/web/tech/headlight-aiming.html

Ok - I get that, but does the plug have to be removed for proper adjustment? That's my real question - it seems as though with my arrangement now I have an OK adjustment, but I did not remove the plugs.

The backstory to all of this is that I bought a cheap pair of these exact same headlights from someone on Ebay - used. The adjusters were all broken and they sucked, so I bought a brand new pair. When I first installed them, I didn't notice the range that the mounting bolts allowed and basically ended up with the lights pointing to the ground and not being able to adjust them high enough. I searched around and realized that I could make a rough adjustment by moving the entire housing then tightening the mounting points. Then fine tuning with the adjustment screws - but I kept reading about the shipping plug and people mentioning that it had to be removed.

iin10ded
01-09-2008, 01:09 PM
so there's 2 things - adjusting the headlight is done via the 2 top adjusting screws. the headlights have to be fixed on the pivot - either by the motor or the shipping plug, in order to work [and / or be aimed]. so with plugs or motors in, aim the headlights.

if you have motors, the headlights have an auto-levelling feature, accessable via vagcom, to diip the headlights down if you fill the trunk with junk, to keep the hid's from blinding people.

if you have plugs, then you lose this auto-level feature.

either way, the headlights will not work [the inner housing will flop around] without some method [plug or adjuster] of fixing the inner housing.

Ok - I get that, but does the plug have to be removed for proper adjustment? That's my real question - it seems as though with my arrangement now I have an OK adjustment, but I did not remove the plugs.

The backstory to all of this is that I bought a cheap pair of these exact same headlights from someone on Ebay - used. The adjusters were all broken and they sucked, so I bought a brand new pair. When I first installed them, I didn't notice the range that the mounting bolts allowed and basically ended up with the lights pointing to the ground and not being able to adjust them high enough. I searched around and realized that I could make a rough adjustment by moving the entire housing then tightening the mounting points. Then fine tuning with the adjustment screws - but I kept reading about the shipping plug and people mentioning that it had to be removed.

ct1.8t4me
01-10-2008, 09:37 AM
so there's 2 things - adjusting the headlight is done via the 2 top adjusting screws. the headlights have to be fixed on the pivot - either by the motor or the shipping plug, in order to work [and / or be aimed]. so with plugs or motors in, aim the headlights.

if you have motors, the headlights have an auto-levelling feature, accessable via vagcom, to diip the headlights down if you fill the trunk with junk, to keep the hid's from blinding people.

either way, the headlights will not work [the inner housing will flop around] without some method [plug or adjuster] of fixing the inner housing.

This is exactly the explanation that I needed. Thanks!

Militant-Grunt
01-10-2008, 09:40 AM

Yep there are two adjusting screws, it takes FOREVER to adjust them, you just need a solid wall and some patience to do it, took me forever.

iin10ded
01-10-2008, 10:16 AM
happy to help! note too that the adjusting screws take phillips OR 6mm hex. the hex on a ratchet is MUCH easier / faster and won't strip the crap plastic phillips.