PDA

View Full Version : safe boost??

boostedup
01-07-2008, 05:54 AM
i already searched the forums, but couldnt find anything with my exact tuning.

So i ordered a MBC and just wanted to know the highest SAFE boost level that i can crank it up to, without damaging anything but squeezing all those little ponies out.

Only mods are, APR 1.0 bar chip, open air intake. it is a 2001.5 with K03sport and DBW

Seerlah
01-07-2008, 06:03 AM
I do not know, but when I chip my car, I am keeping the green spring in my forge 007 in, n75h instead of mbc, and plan on boosting around ~23 psi peak. If I learn that I am pushing my turbo too hard, then I will simply switch it to the yellow spring and boost ~18psi peak.

I am no expert, but you should be able to tweek it to around 20+- psi with no problam. Hope you have aftermarket diverter valve.

boostedup
01-07-2008, 06:11 AM
I do not know, but when I chip my car, I am keeping the green spring in my forge 007 in, n75h instead of mbc, and plan on boosting around ~23 psi peak. If I learn that I am pushing my turbo too hard, then I will simply switch it to the yellow spring and boost ~18psi peak.

I am no expert, but you should be able to tweek it to around 20+- psi with no problam. Hope you have aftermarket diverter valve.

what chip. all the chips i know of boost no more than 18psi. and the n75 just helps bring the boost on quicker, im pretty sure it doesnt raise your boost levels. and those springs only allow that much boost, doesnt mean if you have that spring in that it's gonna boost that much..........I'm pretty sure your in my boat and would need a manual boost controller (MBC). or boost machine.

anyone with a k03 sport giac or apr and MBC wanna chime in?

kjr7888
01-07-2008, 06:15 AM
Depending on make and model of car ou can use a n75 race valve from ecs tuning, you should 1-3psi gain with that

bassed
01-07-2008, 06:22 AM
i already searched the forums, but couldnt find anything with my exact tuning.

So i ordered a MBC and just wanted to know the highest SAFE boost level that i can crank it up to, without damaging anything but squeezing all those little ponies out.

Only mods are, APR 1.0 bar chip, open air intake. it is a 2001.5 with K03sport and DBW

Sell APR buy X Program you'll run 21 psi with N75. You don't want to push it much more than that on the K03s it's passed efficiency at that point, and will blow if run past that for long.

ct1.8t4me
01-07-2008, 06:24 AM
I have a 98.5, APR 91 Octane chip, all the stuff in the signature. I have been trying forever to break 20 PSI consistently. Right now I consistently hit 17-18 PSI. It's hard on the older cars to use an MBC to get more out of it because it really screws up your part throttle. It's very easy to throw too much boost out really low in the RPMs - then the car just balks. If you let off it gets a momentary hard fuel cut - on the flip side, you don't always want to accelerate like a bat out of hell - so modulation has become key.

Seerlah
01-07-2008, 06:30 AM
This is what I was told on Audiforum. Take in mind I am an Audi noob. I will link my post from there. http://www.audiforums.com/m_720614/tm.htm

I was told that the n75h is for smoothing out the surges that may occur when people chip thier cars and stay with the green spring. If I used the yellow one, then I should have no surging problems. (Just what I was told).

*Ok, you are correct. Pardon the noob. Just re read the post. But with same principal. If I use the yellow spring, then I should be able to boost peak around 15-23 psi. There is a person on the forum whom did the diode mod with no chip and can boost 20 psi with no problem.

**Correction number 2. I read post correct. 2 different things are said.
:in PSI

Green - 5-15 PSI
Yellow - 15-23 PSI
Blue - 23-30 PSI
Red - 30 + PSI

:stock, you should definitely be running green. your only boosting ~11 psi. mostpeople when they get chipped either stick with the green or change to the yellow. with the green the boost is more spikey (can usually be cured with a n75h valve) but you will hold more boost. usually between 20-23 psi. with the yellow spring it will be less spikey but you will hold a little less boost. usually around 16-18psi.

Back to discussion: Now, with that being said, could I not be able to boost around 20+ psi peak with chip (GIAC). And with what spring? I know the n75h really does not do anything but add maybe 1-2 psi and sometimes that does not even happen (can not recall where I read). It is for smoothing out surging that may occur. How do others on this forum peak that much boost with a simple ko3? Or do they have bigger turbos?

boostedup
01-07-2008, 06:44 AM
This is what I was told on Audiforum. Take in mind I am an Audi noob. I will link my post from there. http://www.audiforums.com/m_720614/tm.htm

I was told that the n75h is for smoothing out the surges that may occur when people chip thier cars and stay with the green spring. If I used the yellow one, then I should have no surging problems. (Just what I was told).

*Ok, you are correct. Pardon the noob. Just re read the post. But with same principal. If I use the yellow spring, then I should be able to boost peak around 15-23 psi. There is a person on the forum whom did the diode mod with no chip and can boost 20 psi with no problem.

**Correction number 2. I read post correct. 2 different things are said.
:in PSI

Green - 5-15 PSI
Yellow - 15-23 PSI
Blue - 23-30 PSI
Red - 30 + PSI

:stock, you should definitely be running green. your only boosting ~11 psi. mostpeople when they get chipped either stick with the green or change to the yellow. with the green the boost is more spikey (can usually be cured with a n75h valve) but you will hold more boost. usually between 20-23 psi. with the yellow spring it will be less spikey but you will hold a little less boost. usually around 16-18psi.

Back to discussion: Now, with that being said, could I not be able to boost around 20+ psi peak with chip (GIAC). And with what spring? I know the n75h really does not do anything but add maybe 1-2 psi and sometimes that does not even happen (can not recall where I read). It is for smoothing out surging that may occur. How do others on this forum peak that much boost with a simple ko3? Or do they have bigger turbos?

i felt a little dumber after reading that.[confused]

anyways, i dont have a green, yellow, purple, lilac, pink or fuscia spring. well because i run a 710N diverter valve from an audi TT.[headbang]

maxspeed
01-07-2008, 06:44 AM
Sell APR buy X Program you'll run 21 psi with N75. You don't want to push it much more than that on the K03s it's passed efficiency at that point, and will blow if run past that for long.

that always makes me laugh when i read it. how many of you know someone that blew a k03 from overspinning it?

btw seerlah, your referring to approximate spring tensions in a bov only a portion of audi owners use, let alone change the spring/service regularly. i appreciate you trying to understand how the system works so ill let you in on a secret. the spring in your DV isnt going to control how much boost you run, just how much boost you CAN run.

boostedup
01-07-2008, 06:46 AM

that would be good, but don't really got the dough for selling apr and dishing out 500 bucks again for giac. so im just trying to squeeze some horsies out of my current setup, i also ordered Testpipe and magnaflow, gonna install that with custom 2.75" plumbing.

Seerlah
01-07-2008, 07:00 AM
Is not the 710N the stocker dv? With our cars, I was told the best dv to go with is forge when chipping. You can usually find them cheap and unused from sellers on here or Audiforum.com for like $100+-. I purchased mine maybe a month ago but have yet to install it. I have boost gauge coming in mail, and going to do the DIY vent boost gauge. This is set up I am going with so I will be happy with my car.

-35% tint all around (done)
-subwoofers in trunk 2 10" MTX (done)
-GIAC chip/forge007/n75h/boost gauge (soon to be done)
-Koni coil overs and rear sway bar/Mahle rear sway bar links from ecs/MJM package(next)
-Wheels and tires/Nuespeed tie rod/Mahle tie rod ends(next)
-DIY clear corner mod and vvme HID kit(not till car is complete)

boostedup
01-07-2008, 07:03 AM
Is not the 710N the stocker dv? With our cars, I was told the best dv to go with is forge when chipping. You can usually find them cheap and unused from sellers on here or Audiforum.com for like $100+-. I purchased mine maybe a month ago but have yet to install it. I have boost gauge coming in mail, and going to do the DIY vent boost gauge. This is set up I am going with so I will be happy with my car.

-35% tint all around (done)
-subwoofers in trunk 2 10" MTX (done)
-GIAC chip/forge007/n75h/boost gauge (soon to be done)
-Koni coil overs and rear sway bar/Mahle rear sway bar links from ecs/MJM package(next)
-Wheels and tires/Nuespeed tie rod/Mahle tie rod ends(next)
-DIY clear corner mod and vvme HID kit(not till car is complete)

the 710 valve is the stocker, the 710N valve is off of the audi TT 225. and is rated at holding higher boost levels........

boostedup
01-07-2008, 07:10 AM
I have a 98.5, APR 91 Octane chip, all the stuff in the signature. I have been trying forever to break 20 PSI consistently. Right now I consistently hit 17-18 PSI. It's hard on the older cars to use an MBC to get more out of it because it really screws up your part throttle. It's very easy to throw too much boost out really low in the RPMs - then the car just balks. If you let off it gets a momentary hard fuel cut - on the flip side, you don't always want to accelerate like a bat out of hell - so modulation has become key.

some people say that the n75 race valve gives you 1-3 psi more but i'm consistently boosting exactly like you (17-18psi) with stock n75

edit:though you do have a FMIC which would lower your boost a psi or 2 on stock turbo.

Solaris
01-07-2008, 07:21 AM
I've put over 84k miles of chipped and K04 use on a 710N and I like it a lot more than the Hyperboost HX (which I'm selling). I can't say all piston style valves are like this one, but the Hyperboost had a noticeably slower reaction than the 710N when shifting gears. I've read this is a common issue with piston vs. diaphragm style valves. As long as the 710N works, I'll never go back to a piston style valve. I'd probably even buy the APR R1 diaphragm valve if I needed a stronger DV.

boostedup
01-07-2008, 07:27 AM
anyways. 21 psi safe, APR 91 octane k03 sport? somehow this thread turned into a DV thread............

i figure im already hitting 18 psi. cranking it up 2-3 psi should be safe, but will i feel a little extra ponies or will it be more detrimental than helpful?

Seerlah
01-07-2008, 07:58 AM
You know, I have just noticed many are not answering your question. I gave you my answer in first post. Seems that people can peak around 21 with X Power chip, and I don't see why that can not be accomplaished with an APR. Try around 20+- and see if car gives you any problems. Maybe try 19 first, then 20, then 21. I would not try running more than 22-23 psi though. Oh, I also read that bleeder mbc are best to go with. Or both ball and joint w/bleeder (more expensive though). Get what you pay for.

maxspeed
01-07-2008, 08:16 AM
youll feel it, and its safe

bassed
01-07-2008, 09:08 AM

All you need to hit 21 in an 01' is the X Program by GIAC with stock n75 and a DV (TT 225 run in reverse). It's the file itself that hits 21. You'll see spikes with the X on a k03s of 23 on occasion. It pushes the k03s to it's efficiency. The n75 is a solenoid that smooths bosst yes.

You can run the MBC in parrallel with the n75 with the APR and hit 21 if you really want to. 710n is fine for even some BT applications.

that always makes me laugh when i read it. how many of you know someone that blew a k03 from overspinning it? It's the wastegate that goes, not the turbo per say. I know about 8 people who've all had it happen. It's kinda of a commonly known issue and why you don't want to hit 23 psi on a k03s. I don't see any feasable way you hit 6.15 CAPS on a K03.

Seerlah
01-07-2008, 09:28 AM
bassed,

I already purchased the forge 007. I plan on chipping sometime within 2 months. I have boost gauge coming in mail and I want to hook that up before any engine mods. Can I still just use the forge, since I already have? I was told that if I stick with the green spring, the boost tends to surge so an mbc or n75h can even that out? I do not plan on tweeking the boost, that is why I was going to get n75h instead of mbc.

So, basically with this set up can I reach 21 psi: Forge 007 (instead of the 710N), GIAC, and mbc or n75h to smoothe out surge?

bassed
01-07-2008, 09:37 AM
Forge 007 has alot of happy followers, you'll be fine. I would run it as recomended. I didn't know it had various spring rates to be honest. I know the Tial BOV's do, but not the Forge DV's. Keep stock N75 or update to the most recent if you have 75k or more on the car. Get the X-Program and you will hit 21 psi daily without a MBC or any adjustments.

maxspeed
01-07-2008, 09:41 AM
All you need to hit 21 in an 01' is the X Program by GIAC with stock n75 and a DV (TT 225 run in reverse). It's the file itself that hits 21. You'll see spikes with the X on a k03s of 23 on occasion. It pushes the k03s to it's efficiency. The n75 is a solenoid that smooths bosst yes.

You can run the MBC in parrallel with the n75 with the APR and hit 21 if you really want to. 710n is fine for even some BT applications.

It's the wastegate that goes, not the turbo per say. I know about 8 people who've all had it happen. It's kinda of a commonly known issue and why you don't want to hit 23 psi on a k03s. I don't see any feasable way you hit 6.15 CAPS on a K03.

a cranked wastegate, a MBC/diode, and a few days messing around with lemmiwinks....

bassed
01-07-2008, 09:46 AM
a cranked wastegate, a MBC/diode, and a few days messing around with lemmiwinks....

Please tell me you logging block 32 to see what your fueling is like or have a WB.

Seerlah
01-07-2008, 09:46 AM
Thanks a lot bro. That is what I was assuming I could run with to hit around 20-23 peak psi. Yeah, I bought my car maybe 3 months ago w/ 107k. Placed a little above 2k on it already. I hear these German cars run to 300K+. Time will tell. Just have to keep fluids well and not drive her like she will not cost money for repair if pushed too hard.

Peace!

Solaris
01-07-2008, 10:17 AM
Block 031 for O2 sensor voltage. 032 is fuel trims

speedydragon
01-07-2008, 11:20 AM
you might hit limp mode on your dbw if you run too much boost.

devmaster
01-07-2008, 12:34 PM
Thanks a lot bro. That is what I was assuming I could run with to hit around 20-23 peak psi. Yeah, I bought my car maybe 3 months ago w/ 107k. Placed a little above 2k on it already. I hear these German cars run to 300K+. Time will tell. Just have to keep fluids well and not drive her like she will not cost money for repair if pushed too hard.

Peace!

300k with 3 rebuilds imbetween maybe [rolleyes]

////D
01-07-2008, 10:47 PM
not trying to jack thread, but what about with the unitronics 1+ chip? can i up my boost with that chip? i peak at 16 and i have ecs n75 race valve

Yaktizzle417
01-08-2008, 06:44 AM
So in theory, with Lemmiwinks, diodes, and an MBC... 21psi on a stock KO3 and fuel pump/ FPR will be safe?

That sounds a bit off...

////D
01-08-2008, 08:50 AM
So in theory, with Lemmiwinks, diodes, and an MBC... 21psi on a stock KO3 and fuel pump/ FPR will be safe?

That sounds a bit off...

the vw guys do it with ease, they use k03 and ko3s as well, so im sure it would be ok on our cars, since they are not much different

Black_97 A4
01-08-2008, 08:55 AM
after getting chipped i can push 23-25...i don't do it much so i think its fine...

maxspeed
01-08-2008, 09:19 AM
Please tell me you logging block 32 to see what your fueling is like or have a WB.

i have a zeitronix widebandm 317cc injectors, and a vr6 maf housing, fuelings not a concern. this is all old news, as my cars been running like this for almost a year.