PDA

View Full Version : APR stage III - choice of an intercooler?

genecan
01-05-2008, 04:16 AM
Primary data: A4 B5 1.8TQ 98, APR stage III.

Although APR do not state the kit requires an intercooler I think it would be benefitial, especially if one desire higher boost or more agressive programming.

I searched and I came to two options (reasonable priced, enough for a BT and stilll fit behind stock bumper w/o minor trimming) - Racetek and evoms. For the racetek's one I have seen people having fitment issues with the APR kit itself (not the bumper). What about evoms?

Do you have any other suggestions?

onemoremile
01-05-2008, 06:55 AM
The kit needs an intercooler to perform reliably and maintain performance for more than a few moments at a time. Heat soak will kill your power, then your pistons, then your wallet.

You could run just about any intercooler out there from the $120 eBay ones to the super duper competition megadollar stuff. It is really hard to tell the difference from the driver's seat.

fred2ka4
01-05-2008, 08:42 AM
Here is a link to the thread I started in regards to the Racetec fmic I installed. It did take a little work to get it lined up but it works great and I am 100% happy with the switch from my GReddy fmic.

If you decide to go this route just email me and I will go over the details with you on what I had to do to make this kit fit right on my car.

- Fred

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=178921

genecan
01-06-2008, 01:58 PM
Great, thanks Fred! [up]

Anybody had experience (or heard something) about evoms FMIC and APR stage III [wrench]?

Beemer832
01-06-2008, 07:14 PM
i have no idea what front mount I am running. No brands or logos on it, but it fits perfectly behind a stock s4 bumper (which I am runngin). I dont seem to have any install issues or fitment with the kit itself.

there is even a little rubber holder piece that allows the intercooler to fit perfectly into the bumper. kinda like it was planned to be there. anyways this was all installed when I bought the car so sorry if im not much of a help

-josh

iin10ded
01-07-2008, 10:14 AM
034 and kinetic both make very nice looking fmic packages for the b5 for ~900$. i've seen the 034 kit on a car and it does fit behind the stock bumper with minimal cutting. for my $ i'd go 034.