PDA

View Full Version : About to order boost gauge

Seerlah
01-03-2008, 06:16 AM
I am about to order a VDO boost gauge from 42dd and attempt a DIY vent gauge install. Should be fun. But my question is, does anyone know if the t-fitting provided (from 42dd: gauge, led, kit) drums out the buzzing noise or should I purchase the one (t-fitting) from ecstuning?

This is copied from 42dd: "The T-fitting included with our boost tubing kit has a built in restrictor to prevent vibrations in the boosted air
stream from reaching the gauge. Vibrations produced by the turbocharger will vibrate the internals of the gauge and produce a ‘buzz’ sound."

But I do not know how accurate this stament can be as anyone whom purchases from internet knows how misleading people can be. But I am posotive the t-fitting from ecstuning eliminates the buzz. Any imput from personal experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

devmaster
01-03-2008, 07:18 AM
as i remember the ECS anti buzz fitting is just a fuel filter running in line w/ the vac hoses

tdn
01-03-2008, 07:32 AM
$30 for the exact same gauge
and $10.75 for the exact same kit ECS sells.

http://www.egauges.com/vdo_mult.asp?Type=Turbo_Boost&Series=Vision&Units=E
http://www.egauges.com/vdo_indA.asp?PN=CON-002

$20 dollars cheaper for the exact same kit. It's where I got mine from.

Stampy
01-03-2008, 08:07 AM
Yeah I agree with militant. 42 is cool, but some of the hardware they give you is cheap. They vent mod is easy man, just take your time. I found it easy to just kinda start in the middle and work my way out. You'll understand once you start doing it. oh yeah, and the LED's from 42 are dim as hell. I used to buy from the same supplier. If you are in chicago I'll give you some if you want.

Seerlah
01-03-2008, 09:18 AM
Ok, I will go with militant's advice. But I will also order the t-fitting from ecs because I need to order some vacuum hoses anyways. Going to replace dv to forge 007 and will replace hose at same time. Plus the line I am going to tap into for boost gauge in front of manifold is in there very snug (maybe 3 mm slack). Not cool. Just went to Autozone and bought some vacuum connectors so I can just add on maybe 6 inches or so to work with. Now I need hoses. Threaded for manifold, just strong silicone for dv and, extra to have handy when needed.

Oh, now that I am ordering the gauge from the link provided (thanks again), where do I purchase leds from for backlighting? I am not in the Chicago area, but thanks bro.

Seerlah
01-03-2008, 09:25 AM
Actually, militant, how is the t-fitting with that kit? Is there a buzz?

tdn
01-03-2008, 10:52 AM
hopefully i'm not too late, but the t fitting works great, no buzz.

i'm pretty sure it's the exact same one that comes with the ecs kit.

Seerlah
01-03-2008, 10:59 AM
Not too late. I had to run out and run some errands. What about the LED for the gauge?

tdn
01-03-2008, 11:08 AM
haha.. just found a bag full of lights my vdo came with, red is included. not sure about anyone else.

Seerlah
01-03-2008, 11:34 AM
so, are you saying that the kit from link attached above comes with lights? If not, can I purchase maybe 2 off of you?

*ok, just understood. you are not sure if other people whom ordered from same place got lights also. well, I am going to order my gauge now, and if there are no lights included, please don't mind if I send you a pm wanting to purchase maybe 2

speedydragon
01-03-2008, 11:41 AM
why does the boost guage buzz?

Seerlah
01-03-2008, 12:12 PM
42dd says that the vibration produced by the turbo vibrates the internals of the gauge, thus creating a buzz noise. But the t-fitting is supposedly designed to filter out that buzz.

tdn
01-03-2008, 12:40 PM
so, are you saying that the kit from link attached above comes with lights? If not, can I purchase maybe 2 off of you?

*ok, just understood. you are not sure if other people whom ordered from same place got lights also. well, I am going to order my gauge now, and if there are no lights included, please don't mind if I send you a pm wanting to purchase maybe 2

ok.. what i said before and after editing is a bit confusing.. i apologize.

i bought the kit, it comes with a condom that goes over the white light. i didn't use this though, went to a hardware store and bought a red light that works pefectly. from what i've read though, the condom the kit comes with matches great too.. but i didn't use it and just forgot about it.

i hope that clears everything up.

and about the buzz noise, i don't know if my gauge would have produced a buzz noise without the t fitting, i initially installed it with the fitting and there is no noise coming from the gauge at all.

Seerlah
01-03-2008, 02:00 PM
Just ordered the gauge and expecting it to come in soon. It is just going to suck trying to install it in this weather. I will more than likely just construct gauge (ordered some vents from Audiforum) and wait for good weather to come in to install. I am in middle of winter and it feels like 0 degrees outside (but really is like 20). My garage could not be more than 15+ outside temp.

If the cover of the white light does not give a great enough output, I will just go to Home Depot or something to see if they have bulb that will fit. (if not, then AutoZone or some other auto parts store). I actually might just replace white bulb anyways if it will only cost like $1-2.

Peace!