PDA

View Full Version : installing 2 piece projector headlights

Silver98A4
01-02-2008, 08:15 PM
i bought these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AUDI-A4-95-98-EURO-CLEAR-S4-PROJECTOR-CORNERS-SET_W0QQitemZ310010283755QQihZ021QQcategoryZ33649Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem and am waiting for them to arrive in the mail. i know that a lot of people are extremely against anything other than 1 piece headlights...but i'm not really concerned with their opinions on the matter.

To anyone who has installed these headlights before...when i remove the stock headlights, will these just directly plug into the stock connectors? I have never changed a headlight assembly before but I imagine it's pretty easy...?

MikeWasHere05
01-02-2008, 08:20 PM
They don't look too bad, probably some of the better eBay headlights...

Anyways, its a direct plug and play. Should take you all of 20 minutes.

generik777
01-02-2008, 10:15 PM
I had to use my old stock blinker bulb holders because the ones that came with these wouldn't plug into my stock harness. Other than that it was plug n play. Also you won't have fogs anymore, these replace them with city lights.

got boost.
01-03-2008, 12:14 AM
i had these lights before they are very good and look a lot like the one piece when it is put together. there shouldnt be a problem with the wiring is pretty plug n play but you need to use your stock blinker. the cut off is very good with a HID kit too.

Silver98A4
01-03-2008, 07:15 AM
i'm a bit new to some of the lighting terms....i understand that they will eliminate my fog lights (didn't make a big difference anyway)....but what exactly are city lights and do i need seperate bulbs for them...or how do they work?

Jared71482
01-03-2008, 07:19 AM
i know that a lot of people are extremely against anything other than 1 piece headlights...but i'm not really concerned with their opinions on the matter.

Good man! Its YOUR car, do what YOU want to it!! [:)]

As for the install, they're a direct fit. You do need to use the signal bulb and socket thats already on your car, as the one they send with the lights is only a single filament and has a different connector. The rear cover on the lights also has a nice place for Hella Gen 3 HID ballasts (or those found in most cheap HID kits now) and makes for an easy HID upgrade as well! Only problem I ever had with those lights is the supports for the "eye" in the turn signals melted and deformed a little.

generik777
01-03-2008, 11:37 AM
i'm a bit new to some of the lighting terms....i understand that they will eliminate my fog lights (didn't make a big difference anyway)....but what exactly are city lights and do i need seperate bulbs for them...or how do they work?

City lights are a european thing. They are meant to be used while driving in cities were you dont need your headlights to see but still want your headlights on so others can see you. What they do is light up your headlight housing and thats it, They provide no usable light on the road. If you want to use the feature correctly you will have to do some rewiring on your car. Once you install the lights the city lights will be operated by you front fog switch, but like your fogs did, they will only turn on if your low beams are on, which is why you will need to rewire to use them like meant. Also you will need to buy a couple bulbs for them, I believe they use the same bulb as the side fender blinkers.

speedydragon
01-03-2008, 11:40 AM
you can rewire it so it turns on when you turn your blinker lights on.

Silver98A4
01-06-2008, 03:43 PM
when i order an HID kit from vvme....with these lights they list accomodating H7/DS2....

H7 is an option but DS2 is not, so i'm assuming i order the H7 kit?

i know it's probably a dumb question, i just want to make sure i order the right parts the first time so i don't have to deal with any hassles of returns, etc.

manufan
01-06-2008, 04:09 PM
I bought 2-piece projectors too. I already had VVME H7 HID's in my low beams. After I got the projectors I realized that I was going to need a set of D2S bulbs. Not a choice through VVME. So, I took the plunge and bought a set of Phillips ballasts with D2S bulbs. I got them on ebay from akinaboy. Not sure what I'll be doing with the VVME kit, maybe stick them in my high beams.

projectdarka4
01-06-2008, 04:46 PM
Does any1 have a diy for rewiring the city lights to turn on independantly by the fog switch... without having the headlights onn? i just bought depos and want to hook them up like that

Silver98A4
01-06-2008, 06:03 PM
I bought 2-piece projectors too. I already had VVME H7 HID's in my low beams. After I got the projectors I realized that I was going to need a set of D2S bulbs. Not a choice through VVME. So, I took the plunge and bought a set of Phillips ballasts with D2S bulbs. I got them on ebay from akinaboy. Not sure what I'll be doing with the VVME kit, maybe stick them in my high beams.

so even though the ebay auction says that they are H7 compatible...you're saying that they wont work and i need D2S?

manufan
01-06-2008, 06:12 PM
It is a little confusing. I think that if they're really for H7/D2S, you'll need adapters to use the H7 in the low beam.

Militant-Grunt
01-06-2008, 06:18 PM
I have the same in my car, they're good. Tho the covers over the turn signal bulbs tend to melt over time.

devmaster
01-06-2008, 06:21 PM

DO NOT PUT THEM IN THE HIGH BEAMS!!!

ur gunna burn through ur bulbs and ballasts in like 3 weeks..
hids cant handle being cycled on and off constantly

manufan
01-06-2008, 06:23 PM
I wondered about that. Maybe fogs if I can find a set of housings then.

Silver98A4
01-07-2008, 10:47 AM
wow vvme charges 35 bucks to ship their kit? i know their price is really low even with shipping included but that just seems a bit ridiculous. under their "shipping and tax" policy it states that their shipping rate is 19.88 but at checkout they charge 35....hmmmm

i guess i will just have to bite the bullet

got boost.
01-07-2008, 11:47 AM
buy the vvme kit from ebay id flashplus its supposed to be 78 total shipped to your house. bought three kits from them so far and they all arrived within one week.

a88fl1
01-07-2008, 06:06 PM
I was thinking of going with those ebay depos as well, let us know how the install goes

glenneclipsegsx
02-14-2008, 05:44 PM
i need the turn signal bulb sockets if anyone has a set. i need them asap

Militant-Grunt
02-14-2008, 05:59 PM
Pics

http://a719.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/46/l_e2eeb82abff26b0a3d6366cbca0b3176.jpg

http://a623.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/36/l_e6cf169ac3faaafc0a15bb78c0da0ad6.jpg

1a9u9d8i
02-14-2008, 07:17 PM
i have two piece depo projectors too (with black housings tho) and so far i am impressed, i had HIDs in for a while but they drew too much power and cut out my radio. whoever wired them in did a terrible job so now i just have halogens in he projectors. make sure the corner housings are in good and tight, ive had a couple fall out on me driving down the road. the latching mechanism sometimes isnt as good as the stock lights.

itsbigj05
02-15-2008, 09:25 AM
here's some pictures of mine with 6000k hids, too

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/hockeedevil89/IMG_2184.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/hockeedevil89/IMG_2183.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/hockeedevil89/IMG_2193.jpg

and one more just for fun

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/hockeedevil89/IMG_2181.jpg

also, fyi, h7 bulbs fit in mine just fine. there was no need for an adaptor.

mark_2328
02-15-2008, 10:04 AM
Anyone have pics of these in a silver B5? Thinkin about picking up a set with some 6k vvme's.

GramCracker
02-15-2008, 12:18 PM
Those ebay lights acutally look really nice. Good find!

Silver98A4
03-09-2008, 04:06 PM
Just got home the other day for spring break (uconn) and i was all set to install my headlight assemblies and HIDs...but I ran into 2 small problems/uncertainties.

1. I know where all of the wires that come off of the HID bulb plug into because they can only fit in a certain spot. There are 2 wires however (red and black i believe) that come off the actual bulb and end with 2 little flat metal connections. I see a spot inside the headlight housing where they would plug in...but the wires in there are blue and yellow. How do i know to plug the black with the yellow/blue or the red with the yellow/ blue?

2. The housings came with a plastic backing where the ballast is supposed to sit. In order to feed the wires through into the housing, you need to pop out a small square in the housing. The circular rubber grommet around the wires is good, but it will not seal the whole square completely. What would you guys recommend using to completely seal off the hole that the wires go through?

generik777
03-09-2008, 04:30 PM
1. How do i know to plug the black with the yellow/blue or the red with the yellow/ blue?

If you have a voltmeter you can check to see which wire is the positive one, Otherwise just hook it up one way and if it doesn't work switch it up. That's what I did.

2.What would you guys recommend using to completely seal off the hole that the wires go through?

I just left the square thing on mine and cut a circular hole next to it that was about the same size as the grommet. You can also use some caulking to seal it extra good, I didn't but I know of people that have.

Silver98A4
03-09-2008, 04:51 PM
i was thinking of the guess and check method for the 2 wires as well....but i wasn't sure if there was a chance at blowing out the bulb or anything if i originally had them hooked up wrong

Silver98A4
03-10-2008, 01:35 PM
quick bump