PDA

View Full Version : Acceleration Issues in 5th Gear

voodooA4
12-31-2007, 01:19 PM
Recently, I've been having some acceleration issues while driving on the highway in 5th gear. I can do my best 1/4 impression through gears 1-4 (really pushing it hard), but once I hit 5th gear, that's where the problems begin.

I can get a little power by giving it a little gas; when I give it a bit more (probably about 50% throttle), it begins to shudder a bit, and it almost feels like the engine is skipping or something. If I floor it, the car jerks, and it's almost as if the engine cuts out for a second; it's not stalling completely, because if I let off the gas right away, the car keeps running normally.

I had the turbo replaced not too long ago, and I do all my regular other maintenance. Any ideas? I have a VAG tool, so I can go out and log some blocks if you let me know which ones will help out.

My best guess is that for some reason, the A/F mixture is going out of whack when it bogs down there for a second as the throttle is pressed. I will try to check this theory with the VAG later tonight and post the results.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

-voodoo

Rico750
12-31-2007, 01:21 PM
yeah VAG is wherei would start. Did it throw any codes?

voodooA4
12-31-2007, 01:26 PM
Nope. I was quite surprised that it didn't.

Rico750
12-31-2007, 01:50 PM
maybe: hmm
- fuel pump ?
- not getting enough gas ?
- fuel filter clogged ?
i would think in that area.. could be wrong.

voodooA4
12-31-2007, 04:01 PM
I'm going to go out tonight or tomorrow night and log some blocks with the VAG and see what I get. Perhaps some concrete data will narrow the possibilities a bit.

Also, I found this today:
http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/m_blocks/

Any recommendations on which blocks I should check? Otherwise I'll just pick a few general ones and see what I get.

Militant-Grunt
12-31-2007, 04:58 PM
Sounds like a misfire to me, just curious as to why it only happens in 5th.

volks88
12-31-2007, 05:55 PM
have you checked your plugs lately? i've had symptoms of this problem and it turned out it was my plugs. funny thing was in i only noticed in the way top of 4th and 5th.

Squarrl
01-01-2008, 12:22 AM
chipped?

j2da
01-01-2008, 08:31 AM
i would put money on a bad coil pack...cylinder 2

voodooA4
01-01-2008, 08:46 AM
chipped?

Yes...APR Chip.

ibew5audi
01-01-2008, 08:52 AM
I had something similar to that on another turbo car but it was a dead spot in the tps that only showed up in fifth under light load (checked with a volt meter). The fifth gear thing is confusing. Still have ram air? Could be messing up maf readings and distorting if it's modded wrong.

voodooA4
01-01-2008, 08:56 AM
I had something similar to that on another turbo car but it was a dead spot in the tps that only showed up in fifth under light load (checked with a volt meter). The fifth gear thing is confusing. Still have ram air? Could be messing up maf readings and distorting if it's modded wrong.

Yeah, I still have the stock airbox. Only thing different is that I installed a K&N panel filter around the same time I got the car (around 54K miles).

I want to thank everyone for all of the responses...I'm going to test some out later this afternoon/evening and report back.