PDA

View Full Version : R8 opinions

eride
12-29-2007, 02:57 AM
just wanted to know what some of you thought of the car in comparison to other sportscars you own or have owned.

i have the r-tronic and find the shifting similiar to the m5 or m3 smg systems. the car its self lacks power and torque, but handles amazing and brakes better than any of my other cars. its a cross between a sportscar and a touring car, leaning more torwards a touring car. any of you feel it lacks the sporty feel of a sports car.

mdkellys
12-29-2007, 12:12 PM
Do you think it would feel sportier if you had gotten the manual?

toaster
12-29-2007, 04:30 PM
i look forward to the day when i have enough car experience that i can say a car like the r8 lacks power and torque.

jesus...just silly bro.

penskeaudi
01-01-2008, 11:04 PM
toaster, if only you knew what eride's other cars were...

OEMplus.com
01-02-2008, 07:54 AM
I agree. Considering what else is on hand, I think that "handles amazing and brakes better than any of my other cars" is a pretty good compliment! :)

mdkellys
01-02-2008, 08:16 AM
Don't keep us in suspense, what are the other rides?[drive]

GQ//S4
01-02-2008, 08:28 AM

.....the ones penski listed two posts above yours..... [rolleyes]

I really was expecting them to put a larger engine into the r8.... well 2nd gen will get it I guess.

Monizzle
01-02-2008, 10:28 AM
although i've never driven an R8, I can at least tell you that "everyday drivebility/comfort" is exactly what audi was going for with this car. now, what other cars do you own!!!? [:D]

OEMplus.com
01-03-2008, 07:11 PM
I think we're getting off topic here. Does anyone else have comparative information to share?

Personally, I like the R8 more than a 430 for the understated styling but don't think it can beat it in all-out performance. The Gallardo is nearly the same car and has more sizzle, but the R8 has a more uniform build quality. My $0.02 only, of course...

.....the ones penski listed two posts above yours..... [rolleyes]

Actually, those are the cars that belong to the Penske poster. I think eride can share that information on his cars if he wants to...

R1Wolf
01-03-2008, 10:57 PM
Not really comparative, as I have never owned or driven a car like this until now. I got to drive 5 laps around Sears Point in a manual R8 and loved it. I agree that it does not have much torque, but the upper end is plenty fast for me. I also agree with the handling, within two corners I was impressed. And the drivability for an everyday car is even better then I expected, just wish I could afford a $130k car. And coming from 4 cylinder sportbikes, currently an 04 R1, I'm use to not having a lot of torque and good top end rush, so maybe that's why it didn't bother me much. I've also read that they have some type of limiter in the lower gears cutting the power on them, one of the race teams was talking about how they uncorked it, but unfortunately didn't give any details.

bumble996
01-04-2008, 07:19 AM
Surprised you went with the R-Tronic Eric...so not "you" - love the car overall, haven't driven one yet but I'm going after AW's if he bails out of it before summer lol!

Brian@AudiMV
01-04-2008, 05:49 PM
I've been really surprised by a couple of people that have bought R8s from us. One of them sold his Gallardo Spyder after getting his R8, saying the Lambo was pointless and that he liked the R8 better. Another one has 2 F430 Spyders (one for him, one for the wife) and they BOTH like the R8 better, they said that it feels more like a sports car because it's smaller and feels more nimble, and that they also get MUCH more looks in the R8 than in the Ferraris. Unfortunately, I don't have any of the aforementioned vehicles in my stable so I can't comment myself on livability!

eride
01-07-2008, 03:24 PM
Surprised you went with the R-Tronic Eric...so not "you" - love the car overall, haven't driven one yet but I'm going after AW's if he bails out of it before summer lol!

considering the HP, driving characteristics (more touring) daily use the r-tronic made sense. 6 speed would require a bit more power. oh yeah its the wifey's car and she can't drive stick.
as for the car i love it, it's awesome in styling and function, i would however be disappointed if it where my only fast car.

eride
01-07-2008, 03:27 PM
I've been really surprised by a couple of people that have bought R8s from us. One of them sold his Gallardo Spyder after getting his R8, saying the Lambo was pointless and that he liked the R8 better. Another one has 2 F430 Spyders (one for him, one for the wife) and they BOTH like the R8 better, they said that it feels more like a sports car because it's smaller and feels more nimble, and that they also get MUCH more looks in the R8 than in the Ferraris. Unfortunately, I don't have any of the aforementioned vehicles in my stable so I can't comment myself on livability!

i would think that's going a little too far.

eride
01-07-2008, 03:32 PM
toaster, if only you knew what eride's other cars were...

where did you get that video clip from. love it.

jason1st
01-07-2008, 04:58 PM

I just can't buy that story.

Anyone I know, myself included, would take a Gallardo or 430 over the R8 any day.

I don't even have to think about it.

Gr8R8
01-08-2008, 06:00 PM
I just can't buy that story.

Anyone I know, myself included, would take a Gallardo or 430 over the R8 any day.

I don't even have to think about it.

With money no object, I would take a Gallardo or 430 over the R8. However, at half the price, it's a definite winner. Also, I would take the R8 over my 360; the Audi is so smooth and is great to drive. The usability is far superior to my Gallardo, especially ingress/egress and visibility.

jason1st
01-10-2008, 04:46 PM
I'd take an R8 over a 360 too.

You're comparing a brand new car to an 8 year old one.

zachf88
01-10-2008, 07:21 PM
ok guys, lets get back on topic!

1sicknickel
01-13-2008, 02:00 PM
His garage of cars is redonk.
Here is 1 of his rides
http://images.europeancarweb.com/features/epcp_0712_07_z+2006_lamborghini_gallardo_twin_turb o+front_view.jpg
http://www.europeancarweb.com/features/epcp_0712_2006_lamborghini_gallardo_twin_turbo/index.html

rs4guyfolife
01-15-2008, 10:59 PM
what are the rest..??

dreamcar=rs4
01-18-2008, 03:56 PM
bump