PDA

View Full Version : Looking at '01 Avant 2.8 5M: Worth it?

Denton
12-27-2007, 08:24 PM
Hello,

I'm the proud owner of a gorgeous, OE+ modded '95 BMW 525i but looking for something with a manual and a bit more room. I'm a college student and constantly moving back and forth...I have to fit my whole life in my car and the Bimmer doesn't even have fold-down seats. [=(]

I passed a used-car lot that had a white '01 A4 Avant. I noticed it had the gorgeous "Celebration" 17" wheels, so I stopped to check it out. I love wagons but was expecting this one to be Tip. To my delight it was a stick. 81k miles too and a rust-free Southern car. It's White/Brown (not sure of the official color names). The same as my Alpine White/Parchment BMW!

Two things that worried me:
1. The car hadn't been started in a while (or so I'm told). Upon cold start, there was a puff of blue smoke. It eventually calmed down after a few seconds. I know that the 2.8 is known for oil leaks/consumption but not sure if this is normal.

2. No records, although there is the phone number of the PO. I can assume at 81k miles the timing belt has never been changed. I guess this is desperately needed?

3. I could smell clutch, although I think this was me driving it wrong. I've owned several new and older manual cars, and none were as finicky to drive smoothly as this one. I kept slipping the clutch accidently...are these clutches known to be vague? What is the average lifespan of a clutch.

4. There was a CEL. The dealer said it was an 02 sensor that they'll change...I'm not sure if it was that simple. I know VWs are notorious for CELs and didn't know if the B5 is the same.

The dealer list was $12,900 but at this time of year they want to move the car. Any idea of actual worth? The car was clean as a whistle and drove like a dream. Seriously in excellent condition, quite remarkable, really.

I've been looking at Jettas with half the miles, so this car worries me. Is this a reasonably safe bet? I'm used to BMWs, not Hondas so I'm okay with maintenance but just don't want a $3k/year bill.

devmaster
12-27-2007, 08:43 PM
Hello,

I'm the proud owner of a gorgeous, OE+ modded '95 BMW 525i but looking for something with a manual and a bit more room. I'm a college student and constantly moving back and forth...I have to fit my whole life in my car and the Bimmer doesn't even have fold-down seats. [=(] I love e34s!

I passed a used-car lot that had a white '01 A4 Avant. I noticed it had the gorgeous "Celebration" 17" wheels, so I stopped to check it out. I love wagons but was expecting this one to be Tip. To my delight it was a stick. 81k miles too and a rust-free Southern car. It's White/Brown (not sure of the official color names). The same as my Alpine White/Parchment BMW!

Two things that worried me:
1. The car hadn't been started in a while (or so I'm told). Upon cold start, there was a puff of blue smoke. It eventually calmed down after a few seconds. I know that the 2.8 is known for oil leaks/consumption but not sure if this is normal.I think you may be good, every car is gunna burn some oil after not being started 4 awile. at the 2.8s r solid motors

2. No records, although there is the phone number of the PO. I can assume at 81k miles the timing belt has never been changed. I guess this is desperately needed? with a 2.8 i beleve u can get away with more miles that a 1.8t, but dont mess around with it. maybe you could get away with lowereing the dealers price

3. I could smell clutch, although I think this was me driving it wrong. I've owned several new and older manual cars, and none were as finicky to drive smoothly as this one. I kept slipping the clutch accidently...are these clutches known to be vague? What is the average lifespan of a clutch.VW/Audi clutches r really weird when you drive with 1 for the first time. and the life span could be 120k+ if the PO was good to it

4. There was a CEL. The dealer said it was an 02 sensor that they'll change...I'm not sure if it was that simple. I know VWs are notorious for CELs and didn't know if the B5 is the same.have them run the codes then youll see, but o2 sensors r a common problem

The dealer list was $12,900 but at this time of year they want to move the car. Any idea of actual worth? The car was clean as a whistle and drove like a dream. Seriously in excellent condition, quite remarkable, really.try and talk them down as low as possible, but almost a year ago i bought my car(u can see the specs in my sig) for $10k

I've been looking at Jettas with half the miles, so this car worries me. Is this a reasonably safe bet? I'm used to BMWs, not Hondas so I'm okay with maintenance but just don't want a $3k/year bill.2.8s r pritty solid, and you would be getting the same bills for the jetta so it is prob a safe bet, just work on the price

Stampy
12-27-2007, 10:29 PM
what he said

Denton
12-27-2007, 10:58 PM
Sweet, thanks guys.

Is this a rare wagon?

Poopie
12-27-2007, 11:34 PM
sounds pretty damn rare.

pfa65
12-28-2007, 04:47 PM
If its Pearl then it should be pretty rare, but don't quote me on that.
I love my wagon to death.

Denton
12-28-2007, 06:19 PM
Well, unfortunately it doesn't look like I can get approved credit for the car.

I'm only 21 but everything is paid for by the parents (well, rent and car insurance) but that doesn't matter on a credit app.

Tis a shame, because the price is $9850 until Jan 1.

audib5a4
12-28-2007, 07:45 PM
it is quite possible that the cel is for an o2 sensor wich rapes gas milage lol .
b5 a4s arent known for this but it is surely common for o2 sensors to crap out.

have the auto shop or dealers scan the car for codes in front of you.

The clutches on the a4 in my experience can last a long while my father
had a stock clutch his whole cars life. 135+k

youll be able to tell after driving it wheather the clutch is burnt.

The timing belt service should be done just for safety and sake of knowing so at 75k

so just do it for the hell of it/and if u sell it a buyer will be more interested due to this.

good luck man

audiness
12-29-2007, 03:34 PM
2.8s run forever, many have gone 200K with no major services.
HOWEVER, you'll probably regret not getting the 1.8T. While in stock form the 2.8 is faster, the 1.8T can really come to life with just a Chip.
If you never plan to mod the car, the 2.8 is great. If there is the slightest chance that you might mod it, get a 1.8T

as far as clutch life, that depents entirely on how it was driven by it's PO.
Some last 60K some last 150K.