PDA

View Full Version : Camshaft Pulley

jrock
12-26-2007, 07:53 PM
Can someone please let me know what the direction of rotation is for the camshaft pulley on our 1.8 engines. Second i am trying to line the timing on the pulley to the mark on the valve cover. However it keeps wanting to go back to the spot that it was originally at. I noticed the cam chain tensioner at the rear of the head (the red colored guide holding contacting the chain lifts every time i try to align the marks. Is this normal or is something going wrong. I am on the last leg of getting my car back to running and am shooting for tonight. If anyone could give me any advice on these issues i would greatly apprectiate it.

jrock
12-26-2007, 07:57 PM
Actually the guy that took redid the head for me left the camchain tensioner on it by accident. Is this a piece that i am supposed to take off? It looks like this piece.

http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/pagebuild_v2.cgi/?imageID=7365&html=viewimage.html

Is this whole assembly supposed to come off before i put the valve cover back on?

KevinA41.8T
12-26-2007, 08:04 PM
only the black piece needs to come off. it compresses the tensioner for install into the head.

jrock
12-26-2007, 08:09 PM
So is it normal for the brown piece in the picture to rise up when i try to align the marks and then want to turn back the other way to which it was originally sitting?