PDA

View Full Version : 1.8t or wrx

Teabag
12-26-2007, 07:28 PM
im thinking of getting a new car, at the moment im having trouble decinding what to get a 1.8t or a wrx (non sti), whats faster?? what would you guys prefer

njm23
12-26-2007, 07:33 PM
WRX = 227hp, transmission is very weak, you WILL break second and/or first gear if you plan on modding. Over all strong car though, no real weak points on it minus the trans, but that isn't till you get near 250-300whp and if you launch it.

1.8T = 150HP 97-00.. 2001 has 170. Much more luxurious, heated seats ect... Overall a "nicer" car. Definitely slower than the WRX though.

You can get into detail, but all depends on what you want out of the car... Stock WRX can handle 300whp safely, no problem.but you WILLl f the trans if you launch ect and will need to upgrade the trans (no, i dont mean clutch I mean the transmission-the gears.).. Stock audi can handle what 300whp? but that is on the edge...

If you strictly want a fast car and don't mind a little bit of noise and not as nice inside, I would say just go with the WRX, if you want a car that is comfortable and ride nice that has the potential to have a lot of power (although it will cost a lot more to get there than the wrx) go with the Audi.

O yeah, I own an a4 and soon going to be buying prob a 03 or 04 WRX. So kinda doesn't help with your question, but just saying.. haha

.Mad Hatter.
12-26-2007, 07:36 PM
the wrx is faster, the a4 is nicer, buy the audi, this is an audi forum, you cant compare the cars, apples and oranges, any car can be made faster than any other car with the money.....its in that vein

audib5a4
12-26-2007, 07:38 PM
audi definately.
Id take luxury over rice any day.

Filet mignon or steak ums.

Steak ums maybe cheaper and faster to make but a filet mignon is quality you can enjoy.

i know bad example lol.

317ssayzarc
12-26-2007, 07:45 PM
EVO for me

the only reason i got my a4 is because i needed awd for traction (my golf with a chip gets non 1st-2nd) and an evo was out of my budget... i was buying to mod, for a daily, i would choose the a4 though... the evo is the ultimate mod platform because its been around for 10 generations and the 4g63 has been around for a while too...

in short: EVO for fun, A4 for daily and WRX [down]

njm23
12-26-2007, 07:48 PM
I don't think he asked about the evo? And not to mention an evo will cost what? EASILY 10 grand more. WRX aren't bad cars, there built really strong and don't have any re-occurring problems between them, if they are stock that is.. As with any car.. But so is the a4, all depends what your looking for out of it.. It is really hard to compare the 2 though..

317ssayzarc
12-26-2007, 07:55 PM
he gave no price range, no info on his commute and no info on if he had narrowed it down to only those two cars... just speaking what came to my mind, you are entitled to your own opinion [up]

GramCracker
12-26-2007, 08:01 PM
EVO for me

the only reason i got my a4 is because i needed awd for traction (my golf with a chip gets non 1st-2nd) and an evo was out of my budget... i was buying to mod, for a daily, i would choose the a4 though... the evo is the ultimate mod platform because its been around for 10 generations and the 4g63 has been around for a while too...

Evo ftw. Regardless, I'd love it as my DD. The order for me would go like this 1. Evo 8 2. A4 3. Other cars 4. STi 5. WRX

If your going to get a WRX or STi just get the evo. Its better all around. I rarely see an Evo owner become an STi owner, but I see a lot of STi owners become Evo owners. Just my $0.02

.Mad Hatter.
12-26-2007, 08:04 PM
THESE CARS CANNOT BE COMPARED, HOW MANY TIMES DOES IT HAVE TO BE SAID...WHY DO THESE THREADS EXIST.

Im not sure what my next car should be; a BMW Z4, or a Dodge Caravan...what say you guys?

Stampy
12-26-2007, 08:06 PM
WRX is fine. Its not rice just because its a WRX as many will say on here. They are just ignorant to cars other than what they drive. I know the tranny issue was def a prob for the 02's. I thought they switched up the gearing for 03+? Or limited boost in first kinda like the SRT4's did? Bah, STi tranny drops in, but it will cost. The A4 is a fine car with a damn good AWD system. You know what? It will cost more to maintain. It will give you more headaches. It will cost you more to get it where you want it. The Rex is cheaper in all aspects. That being said. People do respect that you drive an Audi. I know that sounds strange. People just assume cause you have an Audi, you have money or some shit. The car is genuinely nicer. Inside and out. The EJ20 was around many years before the 1.8t showed its CEL face.

I would say this man. Figure out what your real budget is. Do real research into common issues that the B5 platform has. If you feel comfortable tacking the plunge do it. Many of the people on here HAVE to wrench on their car so it works. I'm lucky. Mine runs like Audi wanted it to. If you don't think you are comfy with the potential problems....you might want to look into that rex a little harder. Good luck homi

-Jeff

njm23
12-26-2007, 08:06 PM
I couldn't have said that better ^^^ And nah, all they really did was go form a 1:0 to a 1:1 and that didn't start till 04 or 05. I think 05. Either way, the trans in the WRX is STILL a huge problem even in the new ones.. And if you get an 02 or 03 bugeye the sti trans is a direct swap, you will have to mess with the drivetrain if you wanna swap to a sti trans in a 05+. Or you could change the synchros and just strengthen 1st,2nd,3rd gear ect.. Either way it will be costly. but that is only if he wants to go to like 300whp. Both cars have there ups and downs, you definitely get more looks and respect driving an audi, people just think better of you when they see you driving one over a wrx. The audi will get you more girls, unless you know some sick girls who like to mod cars. Which in that case, can you introduce me to them? haha

Stampy
12-26-2007, 08:11 PM
Thanx for the knowledge NJM. Imma go read up on that.

.Mad Hatter.
12-26-2007, 08:13 PM
people constantly ask because well, the cars are turning into similar cars, anyone who gets a b5 is going to mod it for the most part.. And for the price, what else is comparable? a4 and wrx and what besides VW that is AWD, nothing really...

No, theyre not the same.

The only common factor is that most who conisder buying one, may consider the other. Why? Because both will cost around the same used, and both are seen as 'fast' or 'nice'

Truth is, the stock A4 is not fast, and the WRX is not nice. Notice how A4's and WRX's NEVER get compared in road tests? Theres a reason for that, and the reason is that theyre not the same class of vehicle.

What competes with the A4? BMW 3 series, Infiniti I30, Lexus IS 300

aI_x.8T
12-26-2007, 08:15 PM
why do you even ask...

1.8t all day, everyday

audi powa

njm23
12-26-2007, 08:20 PM
No, theyre not the same.

The only common factor is that most who conisder buying one, may consider the other. Why? Because both will cost around the same used, and both are seen as 'fast' or 'nice'

Truth is, the stock A4 is not fast, and the WRX is not nice. Notice how A4's and WRX's NEVER get compared in road tests? Theres a reason for that, and the reason is that theyre not the same class of vehicle.

What competes with the A4? BMW 3 series, Infiniti I30, Lexus IS 300

Yeah, I completely agree. But those cars are in a different price range and the a4 gives you a turbo platform to start with for much cheaper. The wrx is not a "nice" car inside. Compared to an audi, well it doesn't compare.. But it isn't that bad.. If your an average kid in all honesty, the wrx interior is more than enough, unless you have pretty high standards or have a girl there.. the a4 and wrx both have the same potential, neither of them are "fast" stock. but both top out around 300whp before you get into rebuilding motors, granted it will cost a lil more for the a4, but after the MANDATORY trans upgrade on the wrx, it all evens out.. All depends on what perspective you take while comparing them.. And I HAVE seem the cars get compared all the time.. By a lot of people. O yeah, and as far as compared on road tests, I never see EITHER of them get compared. Why? Because they both have a superior model, the S4 and the STI. If your going to drop the money on a 3 series or a IS300, you can buy an S4...

317ssayzarc
12-26-2007, 08:22 PM
what we really need is some more info from the OP [confused]

njm23
12-26-2007, 08:24 PM
haha this thread got way off track and outta hand. But doesn't every "a4 vs. wrx" thread? So many opinions.. Yeah, where is he? Ha

.Mad Hatter.
12-26-2007, 08:26 PM
'People' dont really matter when comparing cars. Im talking about head to head comparisons done by magazines. The new A4 is compared to the G35, Saab 93, 3 series bimmer, and Lexus IS, NOT, the WRX. it may sometimes be compared to the legacy, but thats another issue.

Point is, all those cars I mentioned were around at the turn of the century and cost exactly the same amount as the same model year A4

AudiA4_20T
12-26-2007, 08:26 PM
EVO for me

Evos [down]

Modded Evos are a dime a dozen, I always like to do things different and no one expects a luxury Audi to run 12s...

317ssayzarc
12-26-2007, 08:31 PM
'People' dont really matter when comparing cars. Im talking about head to head comparisons done by magazines. The new A4 is compared to the G35, Saab 93, 3 series bimmer, and Lexus IS, NOT, the WRX. it may sometimes be compared to the legacy, but thats another issue.

Point is, all those cars I mentioned were around at the turn of the century and cost exactly the same amount as the same model year A4

well certain people have different wieghting of certain grading columns in those magazines... so it does matter on the person... even things that arent included in those tests matter, like the lexus is350's dont come in stick shift, so a buyer hellbent on stick shift wouldnt even consider it over a 335i... the person def does matter [drive]

317ssayzarc
12-26-2007, 08:32 PM
Evos [down]

Modded Evos are a dime a dozen, I always like to do things different and no one expects a luxury Audi to run 12s...

perfect example, clint likes to be different... some like to be cost effective, some want luxury, others simplicity... its ALL in the buyer

clints opinion doesnt really matter anyways though [eek] [:p]

njm23
12-26-2007, 08:33 PM

Well I never said the wrx and a4 get compared in road tests, cause they don't.. Was just saying for the price of a b5 NOW compared to a 3 series or IS300, you could buy a b5 s4.. "people" don't matter when it comes to that, but I know a lot of people who look at b5 a4's and compare them to all the wrx's and stuff for the sole fact that most b5's you see are modded.. but that really doesn't matter

.Mad Hatter.
12-26-2007, 08:37 PM
Ok, so all this aside, what does the OP expect to see out of this thread. ITS AN AUDI FORUM, everyone is going to say that the WRX is faster but the A4 is nicer.

All you can say are the facts, which can be found in about an hour of browsing the internet. You or I cant say which is better, and THAT is what people are looking for. Unfortunately everyone has different standards, so these threads become a redundacny.

317ssayzarc
12-26-2007, 08:40 PM
i agree!

njm23
12-26-2007, 08:41 PM
So true.. Every car has its up ands downs.. All about what your looking for in it. Simple as that, there both good cars in different ways..

Stampy
12-26-2007, 08:42 PM
Man, this thread is exactly where I thought it would be.....

njm23
12-26-2007, 08:44 PM
hahaha, I haven't left, everytime I go to a new page this thread is back on top! I resent that ^^ I didn't tell him to get the audi or the wrx.. I personally think they are both great cars..

317ssayzarc
12-26-2007, 08:48 PM
hahaha, I haven't left, everytime I go to a new page this thread is back on top! I resent that ^^ I didn't tell him to get the audi or the wrx.. I personally think they are both great cars..

for different needs...

Stampy
12-26-2007, 08:52 PM
I do too. I can't type write now, so its time for me to shut up and go to bed

TMorris
12-26-2007, 09:29 PM
When the fuck did an evo or wrx become rice? Doesnt rice mean a horrid piece of shit? The evo and the wrx are amazing machines...in no way rice.

The a4 and wrx are not comparable...plus what we are all losing site of is the fact The 1.8T nevAr looses

(Geoff rant ftw)

Rico750
12-26-2007, 09:38 PM
Audi - No_brainer

.Mad Hatter.
12-27-2007, 05:31 AM
When the fuck did an evo or wrx become rice? Doesnt rice mean a horrid piece of shit? The evo and the wrx are amazing machines...in no way rice.

The a4 and wrx are not comparable...plus what we are all losing site of is the fact The 1.8T nevAr looses

(Geoff rant ftw)

Holla!!!

I still say he should get the caravan.

dualaudi
12-27-2007, 09:00 AM
there's always the civic...

black00A4
12-27-2007, 10:02 AM
get a 1.8 TT

Militant-Grunt
12-27-2007, 10:06 AM
The question you need to ask yourself here is, do you want a shitty interior or do you want to drive in luxury? The B5 also has a way nicer body, very pretty timeless car, while even an 04 WRX or STI looks dated.

Toyotatech
12-27-2007, 11:12 AM
like the lexus is350's dont come in stick shift, so a buyer hellbent on stick shift wouldnt even consider it over a 335i... This can be your little secret.

.Mad Hatter.
12-27-2007, 11:53 AM
This can be your little secret.

Im pretty sure only the 250 AWD comes in manaul...and when i say pretty sure, I mean like 99%

TMorris
12-27-2007, 12:05 PM
Im pretty sure only the 250 AWD comes in manaul...and when i say pretty sure, I mean like 99%

Only the IS250 RWD

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x126/zombieattackk/1.jpg

317ssayzarc
12-27-2007, 12:39 PM
This can be your little secret.

what? [confused]

audib5a4
12-27-2007, 12:51 PM
only other car that would make me think , would be a Is300 . But a audi or vw would still get the win.

For some reason i really likw the mk5 rabbits nice lil look

.Mad Hatter.
12-27-2007, 01:53 PM
Only the IS250 RWD

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x126/zombieattackk/1.jpg

ya, turns out im a retard. i looked at that page, closed it, and forgot...so i took a guess, lol.

xr4tic
12-27-2007, 02:27 PM
2 completely different cars.

Ask yourself what you want.

You want a fast car, that with very little money will get faster, and you dont mind a "plain" interior with most likely some squeeks/rattles - get a WRK

You want a nice car, with a very nice interior, quiet ride, that can be sorta quick with a little money, or very fast with a lot of money - get an A4

Or, you could always save some money and get a nice used S4.

Personally, I think a lot of people who bought A4s looking for a fast car, would have been happier with a WRX or EVO (not necessarily people on this forum of course)

audib5a4
12-27-2007, 02:31 PM
audi audi audi audi audi audi

ight im AUDI

AudiRacerS4
12-27-2007, 02:55 PM
2 completely different cars.

Ask yourself what you want.

You want a fast car, that with very little money will get faster, and you dont mind a "plain" interior with most likely some squeeks/rattles - get a WRK

You want a nice car, with a very nice interior, quiet ride, that can be sorta quick with a little money, or very fast with a lot of money - get an A4

Or, you could always save some money and get a nice used S4.

Personally, I think a lot of people who bought A4s looking for a fast car, would have been happier with a WRX or EVO (not necessarily people on this forum of course)

i just love how everyone campares the A4 to evo's and sti's...for a few more $$$ than an A4 and far less $$$ than an evo or sti you can buy a nice used S4 with has a nicer interior and more power than an A4 and can directly compare with wrx's, evo's, and sti's

Stampy
12-27-2007, 03:39 PM
Its just wow. How can no one even point out any aspect of reliability. The reality of tuning the B5 platform is that you are buying a potential bomb. Yes, for some decent money you can have a decently fast car. You will have a nice interior and all that. Anyone here in their right mind would atleast tell someone that buying VAG cars might be your biggest headache ever. Buy the Rex and you will yes have some issues. You will def have many less than the B5. Assuming you didn't luck out like I did. Just my $2.00.

Yes, I love my B5. Yes, I love all the Audi's and Vw's I have had. Fact of the matter is I know what I was buying into. I have told that to ALL of my friends that have considered any VAG products. Just a nice thing to do....other than say " AUDI IS GREAT". And yes, the 1.8T does lose......when its not running, misfiring, leaking, the list goes on. Just reality. Calm down now

317ssayzarc
12-27-2007, 03:47 PM
Just my $2.00. And yes, the 1.8T does lose......when its not running, misfiring, leaking, the list goes on. Just reality. Calm down now

both my 1.8ts are running rock soild with a total of over 210k miles on them... and you are only allowed two cents [:p]

.Mad Hatter.
12-27-2007, 03:48 PM
Im getting really tired of hearing the 'VAG liability' issue, it gets old fast fellas.

I want my A4 to be faster than an SRT-4, what do I have to do?

317ssayzarc
12-27-2007, 03:50 PM
Im getting really tired of hearing the 'VAG liability' issue, it gets old fast fellas.

I want my A4 to be faster than an SRT-4, what do I have to do?

sell it and buy an evo [eek]... sorry, had to do it [:D]

.Mad Hatter.
12-27-2007, 03:51 PM
So then my next question is, which is better; the evo or the A4.

This thread makes me want to kill kittens

Stampy
12-27-2007, 03:52 PM
?

Thats why when someone post about how they are unhappy about reliability, they get crucified for not having enough $$$ to afford an Audi. I remember a thread about that like 2-3 weeks ago. I'm outta this thread. Do much research before you buy homi. Best advice I can give.

317ssayzarc
12-27-2007, 03:54 PM
So then my next question is, which is better; the evo or the A4.

This thread makes me want to kill kittens

since you mentioned you wanted to be fast, evo...
its all in what you want...

317ssayzarc
12-27-2007, 03:55 PM
Do much research before you buy homi. Best advice I can give.

indeed

devmaster
12-27-2007, 03:55 PM
only other car that would make me think , would be a Is300 . But a audi or vw would still get the win.

For some reason i really likw the mk5 rabbits nice lil look

screw the 5cyl rabbits, their lame. Get a GTI!

.Mad Hatter.
12-27-2007, 04:01 PM
Thats why when someone post about how they are unhappy about reliability, they get crucified for not having enough $$$ to afford an Audi. I remember a thread about that like 2-3 weeks ago. I'm outta this thread. Do much research before you buy homi. Best advice I can give.

Im not sure I participated in that thread.

Reliability is not an issue, poor maintenance is an issue.

CaSp3r9
12-27-2007, 05:17 PM
Judging by his name and the fact that Teabag hasn't chimed in since his initial post... Something tells me he's one of those who posts to see AZ'ers go at each other in an endless opinionated argument... such as how much HP and how many more MPG's you can gain by clipping magnets on to your fuel line [rolleyes]

317ssayzarc
12-27-2007, 05:28 PM
such as how much HP and how many more MPG's you can gain by clipping magnets on to your fuel line [rolleyes]

hey well my friends, brothers, aunts, grandfathers roomate from college did that and gained 23whp and 7mpg...

i kid, i kid... [:D]

TMorris
12-27-2007, 08:02 PM
And yes, the 1.8T does lose......when its not running, misfiring, leaking, the list goes on. Just reality. Calm down now

...the 1.8T has nevAr lost. What about all the crubs and fents they have taken out [:D]

.Mad Hatter.
12-28-2007, 09:45 AM
I raced a Saleen S7 today on my 91oct 1.8t....I won.

take that Subaru and Mitsu!

Teabag
12-28-2007, 03:42 PM
lol this was fun :P still undecided

AudiRacerS4
12-28-2007, 04:53 PM
I raced a Saleen S7 today on my 91oct 1.8t....I won.

take that Subaru and Mitsu!

damnn i would hope so those cars are so slow especially compared to a 1.8T because guess what....it never losessss [;)][az][race][drive]

biketsai
12-28-2007, 09:34 PM
if you want a car that goes fast in a straight line just get a mustang.
audi is classy

just get an s4.

a4justin
12-29-2007, 09:59 AM
I'm having this same battle with myself. I love my audi to death but we have a lot of disagreements. Sometimes she just doesn't want to act right. I had a date with a beautiful wrx (test drive) and i think it was love at first boost. I love my b5 but after driving the wrx it's a really hard decision. Its so much lighter to me than the audi. i love my audi interior and the status that comes with it. i love teh look of the 05 wrx. just really hard decision. the sound of the turbo on the wrx made me umm...happy in pants haha.

Kyle H
12-29-2007, 02:30 PM
Blah Blah Blah.....This trophy says it all.
http://https://www.034motorspo...7.jpg (http://https://www.034motorsport.com/gallery/d/9056-2/000_0041RedlineTA1107.jpg)

I would expect an Evolution to be faster because you have 230234334 companies worldwide that can tune the 4G63 for maximum results whereas we have all of what?3 companies? that actually took the time to develop parts for this platform in order to make it a "lead" and not "follow".

The sad reality of Audi's (and you can blame 60 minutes for this) is that they Depreciate in value to the point where the average joe on the street sees an "Audi" for cheap and buys it thinking he can modify it just like he would normally do with a Honda or Subaru or Mitsubishi.To modify these platforms take MONEY and lots of it.Not because they are an Audi but simply due to the fact that more volume = cheaper pricing.If we were to cast 500 intake manifolds for an A4 @ 300US a pop they would NEVER get sold.Why do you think Dahlback casted the transverse unit and not a longitudinal version?Now compare that to Honda crowd where Edelbrock cant make ENOUGH of there Victor-X manifolds.I was speaking with a well known fabricator who builds manifolds for all the platforms mentioned and he himself said the Audi/VW market is a waste of his time and energy.People would pay $300US for a set of fake ecodes but wouldnt pay $1000US for a good manifold.He would make 2 1.8T manifolds (gotta make a replica) and 1 would sit on a shelf for months whereas he would make 15 4G63 manifolds and they would be gone before the end of the week... :sly:

Whats even more sad is that if you sat down and spoke to half of these Subaru or Mitsubishi owners about there modifications they will all tell you 10,000US is a drop in a bucket for what went INTO there engine bay.

I will state this and whoever wants to argue can really well ...see above.A WELL set up Audi B-Chassis (B2---->B7) will Hand any Impreza or Evolution its ass...our suspensions are better and our engines are better.

In Addition to the above I would like some of you to sit down for a week and google Audi's in Norway.The fastest,best handling & most powerful cars are Audi's....10s,does an Auto-X in silly time and they look great.Some of the samples across there:

http://www.karlstadracing.nu/_bruzemappen/39/gatebil_fre_49.jpg
http://www.karlstadracing.nu/_bruzemappen/39/gatebil_son_06.jpg
http://www.karlstadracing.nu/_bruzemappen/39/gatebil_son_10.jpg

If those dont look fast and sexy then I dont know what does.

Your going to need the following:
* Money - lots of it
* ARP mains
* SCAT Forged Rods
* GT-3082R
* Tubular manifold
* Full exhaust system
* 625 Hp Intercooler core
* 4" MAF + custom tuning
* 880cc injectors
* SPEC Stage 3+ or Stage 4

There... an 11s Audi A4 with room to grow.Happy Hunting... ;)
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3552935

[up]

zimzima05
12-31-2007, 06:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yoes07_kpx8&NR=1

.Mad Hatter.
12-31-2007, 06:21 PM
Thats not really a decision maker...a 400+hp audi vs. an STI with 100hp less...

317ssayzarc
12-31-2007, 06:29 PM
let this thread DIE! lol

ibew5audi
01-01-2008, 09:05 AM
Save money on the b5 and go bt right away. + what everybody else said. I'd buy a galant vr4 before i'd buy a wrx. 216k on a b5 and still love it + it's not all rusty like subies get.

jturnbull
01-01-2008, 10:45 AM
Audi = German engineering Subaru = Japenese