PDA

View Full Version : New Here... Got some questions about the B5 A4 (yes I searched and read already)

yoda888
12-26-2007, 11:24 AM
Hey everyone,
I'm new here but I've been lurking for awhile and finally registered today for AZ. Been doing some research and reading up and have some questions in regards to the B5 A4. (I have used the searched button, but I still have questions, so no flames please!)

I'm looking at a '99 A4 Avant Quattro right now. The build date is 4/99, so technically it's not a 99.5, but it has the 99.5 "look" to it. So is it safe to assume it would be considered a 99.5 model year?

The car I'm looking at needs some work, timing belt/water pump, etc. Are there any other recommendations for work to be done at the same time? (the N75 diverter?)

I'm not going to go crazy on this car, since this is more of our "winter/snow/city/throw stuff in the trunk" car. This is really a 3rd car for us. The only thing I'm planning on right now are HIDs and a chip.

Since the car is a 99.5, I do not need the "ecode" headlights correct? The 99.5 already has the projectors in them, so I won't be scattering the light. Please correct me if I'm wrong here.

I'm looking at a GIAC chip right now. 150hp isn't enough for me. [:D] The car is a Tip so please keep that in mind as well. Do I need the tip chip as well? I don't need it to shift faster/aggressive. I just want more power when I need it.

Any other comments/tips would be greatly appreciated. [up]

Hopefully, I can get away with just the HID and GIAC mods. I don't want to go crazy on this car. But if I can convince my wife to go to the track with me, I can set this car up for her. Another money pit! WOOHOO! [wrench]

TIA!

Blake260
12-26-2007, 12:19 PM
If it looks like a 2000, and is a model year 1999, its a 99.5

Almost every engine mod is easier when you have the front end off for the timing belt.

CHIP= GIAC HIDs= VVME

ecodes are a bit different, you can do the Clear corner mod to the stocker projection lens and it will resemble ecodes. HID's will be fine in your headlights, its the older 2-piece headlights that scatter light.

I heard that giac stop making the tip chip, but if they didnt, you dont need it, but it would be nice to have im sure.

99.5 is absolutely the best model year B5

salz2135
12-26-2007, 01:01 PM
if you're going to be in doing a t-belt I would also do the thermostat and the coolant sensor. also throw in a snub mount since the front end will be apart. this will dramatically improve daily driving joy and reduce the rubber banding during shifts.

yoda888
12-26-2007, 01:23 PM
Thanks for the reply!

What is VVME? I tried to look up that acronym via the sticky, and couldn't find any reference to VVME.

Yeah, I'm not too intent on getting new headlights if I don't have to. If i can put HIDs in the stockers, that would be the best. Don't need this car to standout or anything at all. I just want to [drive] this car.

I was kind of looking for an '01 actually since it started out with more power. I figured a '01+chip=more power than '99+chip. But I'm not racing this car, and I only want more "in demand" power. [:D]

If it looks like a 2000, and is a model year 1999, its a 99.5

Almost every engine mod is easier when you have the front end off for the timing belt.

CHIP= GIAC HIDs= VVME

ecodes are a bit different, you can do the Clear corner mod to the stocker projection lens and it will resemble ecodes. HID's will be fine in your headlights, its the older 2-piece headlights that scatter light.

I heard that giac stop making the tip chip, but if they didnt, you dont need it, but it would be nice to have im sure.

99.5 is absolutely the best model year B5

yoda888
12-26-2007, 01:24 PM
In regards to the snub mount, does it increase harshness or vibrations in the car/drivetrain?

Thanks!

if you're going to be in doing a t-belt I would also do the thermostat and the coolant sensor. also throw in a snub mount since the front end will be apart. this will dramatically improve daily driving joy and reduce the rubber banding during shifts.

Ewok_Fetus
12-26-2007, 02:10 PM
In regards to the snub mount, does it increase harshness or vibrations in the car/drivetrain?

Thanks!

Not if it is installed correctly... I noticed more vibration from incorrectly installed motor mounts than a correctly installed snub...

DND
12-26-2007, 02:10 PM

From my experience I would say you will probably feel more vibration in the steering wheel but it will also take out some of the slack when you accelerate or decelerate.

salz2135
12-26-2007, 02:28 PM
I have an APR black snub mount and I have very little vibration at idle when the car is running well.

audib5a4
12-26-2007, 05:27 PM
vvme is a hid producer ebay them they should be there and look up 215 motoring on here and pm him im sur ehe sales vvme headlights at a cheap price.

audib5a4
12-26-2007, 05:27 PM
sells* lol

yoda888
12-28-2007, 12:00 AM
Okay, going to pick the car up tomorrow. Then I'm going to drop the car right away to my mechanic.

The car will need the timing belt/waterpump replaced. Since I looked up the procedure online (and you need to take the front bumper, etc, off -- what a PIA), is that a good time to do the DV as well? If so, which one do I want? Keep in mind that I'm only planning on doing a GIAC chip later on. No crazy big turbo, no exhaust, etc.

Also, I'm thinking I should get a boost gauge as well before even doing the chip later on. This way I can tell if the car even runs the correct stock boost. I'm thinking the vent draws more attention then I want. I was thinking this kind of mount: http://www.bshspeedshop.com/store/product.php?productid=16604&cat=622&page=1 Any comments?

Lastly, I'll be putting in an order for the HIDs next week as well.

That's it for now!

Thanks!

devmaster
12-28-2007, 07:42 AM

... If so, which one do I want? Keep in mind that I'm only planning on doing a GIAC chip later on. No crazy big turbo, no exhaust, etc. ...

hahaha, thats what u think, for now

mravantit
12-28-2007, 09:36 AM
Okay, going to pick the car up tomorrow. Then I'm going to drop the car right away to my mechanic.

The car will need the timing belt/waterpump replaced. Since I looked up the procedure online (and you need to take the front bumper, etc, off -- what a PIA), is that a good time to do the DV as well? If so, which one do I want? Keep in mind that I'm only planning on doing a GIAC chip later on. No crazy big turbo, no exhaust, etc.

Also, I'm thinking I should get a boost gauge as well before even doing the chip later on. This way I can tell if the car even runs the correct stock boost. I'm thinking the vent draws more attention then I want. I was thinking this kind of mount: http://www.bshspeedshop.com/store/product.php?productid=16604&cat=622&page=1 Any comments?

That's it for now!

Thanks!

Since you have a 99/4 build, the dv i believe is much more accessible than the pre-face lift. I would go with the Forge 007 valve, its proven, servicable and hassle free. Get the spring tuning kit as well and upgrade the spring to a stiffer one to accomodate the higher boost once chipped. (this made a big improvement in my car, faster boost and held boost longer)

The N75 blow relatively quickly once matted to a chip, mine blew within 15 minutes of driving the car. I chose to go with a MBC instead of a N75 valve for 2 reasons. 1) No boost spikes (N75 are bad for that) 2)adjustability. They take a bit to get used to as boost wants to come on full blast but you learn to control the throttle better.

Hope this helps. Avant FTW!

Kerschera4
12-28-2007, 10:02 AM

That's it for now!

Thanks!

If you are going with vvme hids do not buy them from the vvme.com site. go to ebay and search "flashplus" he is a seller and you can get the exact same thing for like $40 cheaper than the actual site.

good luck w the car

Militant-Grunt
12-28-2007, 10:34 AM
The N75 blow relatively quickly once matted to a chip, mine blew within 15 minutes of driving the car. I chose to go with a MBC instead of a N75 valve for 2 reasons. 1) No boost spikes (N75 are bad for that) 2)adjustability. They take a bit to get used to as boost wants to come on full blast but you learn to control the throttle better.

Hope this helps. Avant FTW!

Though one trade off is partial throttle and surging, I am slowly getting annoyed and may switch back to n75.

audisnapr
12-28-2007, 10:41 AM
if you are just doing a chip in the future, you don't "need" a forge DV. Just upgrade to the TT DV (710N: good up to 225hp) and you'll be fine

http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/pagebuild_v2.cgi/?html=learnmore.html&productID=581

yoda888
12-28-2007, 10:41 AM
My mod list should hold true unless my wife decides she wants some track time in it. Then "it's on!" [drive]

As of now, I have an M3 for my track car, so I don't think I'll be taken the avant anywhere near a track. Plus it's an auto. [:D]

hahaha, thats what u think, for now

tonydetroit
12-28-2007, 10:10 PM
Yoda,

You emailed me regarding the chip, but it seems you have more questions than I knew about.

I purchased my 99.5 with 17,231 miles on it. It was about 3 years old. The list of things that went bad before 100,000 miles is small (after, it's a completely different story).

As far as things you will probably need to do asap, the diverter valve is probably first on the list. I used the one from the TT. Seriously, it was a 10 min job and I had no experience working on cars. Do yourself a favor and read the FAQ's on here and AW. I learned a TON.

The next problem I had was the coolant temp sensor. In the 5 years I had my car I had to replace it 4 times. Super easy and super cheap...so no big deal.

The first mod I did was the chip. Personally (and most of the guys on AW at the time) recommended I get the APR chip. I did...and was super pleased for 123,000 miles of driving. You can probably search and find all of my threads in regards to the subject, but my impression was that the power band/curve was smoother with this chip.

There is a huge list of other little things to look out for, but I'm tired now and don't want to type anymore.

Cheers and good luck!

biketsai
12-28-2007, 10:14 PM
If you get a 2001 A4. I have a chip you can buy =]

biketsai
12-28-2007, 10:15 PM
oh and btw if this hasnt been mentioned already
I think it was 2000 when they put the tiptronic shifting buttons in the steering wheel